• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'd like to think only around High School is when the majority of my generation though lowly of Pokemon since that era of your life is buidling a good image and caring about other people's opinions. I played it immensely of course, but I attended a private school and I wouldn't bring my games on campus in order to honestly avoid this question and only a lil bit of me realized I needed to focus on school. I am quite ashamed I hid it, I do wish I was open about it because its now a part of who I am. Once College hit, I believe the high school idea of keeping a perfect image of yourself goes away because you meet people in a relaxed non-judgemental environment and make your own friend group. I am now open about my love for Pokemon, Heck I was the president of my fraternity and everyone would know after our meeting I'd be leveling up my Pokemon team but they still accepted me for who I am now.

I used to think that way in high school myself, even though there were some students who also played Pokémon. Once I graduated, however, I looked back on it and realized how dumb it was, and I stopped caring.

Now, in my juniot year in college going for by Bachelor's, I play in front of everyone, with no shame. I love the games and I won't stop playing until I get 100% completely and totally tired of it, which will be a long time from now.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I just show them the statistics of who purchases Pokemon games in the modern era and watch them in disbelief as they realise that Teenagers/Young Adults/Adults consist about half of the consumer population for Pokemon.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
The only two people that have said this to me are my wife and my best friend. I have since convinced my wife to be as into Pokemon as I am (she's an avid shiny hunter and has completed the dex 4 different times in ORAS/XY). As for my friend, I prefer to respond really personal, demeaning insults. He can make fun of me for playing a fun game, but he won't if I make him feel even worse every time he does. It sounds really messed up, but it's worth it to not have to hear it.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
The only two people that have said this to me are my wife and my best friend. I have since convinced my wife to be as into Pokemon as I am (she's an avid shiny hunter and has completed the dex 4 different times in ORAS/XY). As for my friend, I prefer to respond really personal, demeaning insults. He can make fun of me for playing a fun game, but he won't if I make him feel even worse every time he does. It sounds really messed up, but it's worth it to not have to hear it.

That makes you smart, I must admit that.

Superpull

I'm 33. At a certain age you stop meeting people who care what you do.

The people most likely to say that to me are the ones who said it 10 years ago and have got bored of saying it.

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
I look them in the eye, and say to them: "Do you really think that I care about what you have to say?"

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
With all the adults in the fandom, and adult gamers in general (particularly for games under the Nintendo umbrella), I'm just genuinely surprised that anyone still says that.

Tricksie

Splendid Collector
That it's none of their business what I do, though I very rarely get told that anyways. I plan to keep playing the games I love for years, no matter what I'm told.

OptimusZygarde

Butterfly fanatic
I just show them the statistics of who purchases Pokemon games in the modern era and watch them in disbelief as they realise that Teenagers/Young Adults/Adults consist about half of the consumer population for Pokemon.

If I did something like that, I would probably be met with comments like "well, that only proves just how downhill people in modern society have gone".

So far, I haven't been met with any criticism. Although, not very many people I know in my personal life are even aware that I still play the main series games. The only person who does is my brother. I texted him a picture of my Alpha-Sapphire version as a throwback to both of our childhoods, and he thought it was rather interesting. If I ever do meet somebody that tells me I'm too old for Pokémon, I'll probably just ignore their comment and be on my merry way.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I can easily point to you how many adults still like watching Disney movies and tv shows(mind you, I still do that too). If it's acceptable in society for adults to be Disney fans, then what's wrong with adults being fans of Pokémon?

Last edited:

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
I would say that Pokémon is a series of games that I enjoy playing, much like how others may indulge in Super Mario, or Call of Duty. It brings me enjoyment and fulfilment, and as far as I'm aware, there is no age limit on experiencing these things. Additionally, whilst Pokémon's main target group may be for children, there are underlying mechanisms to the games (IVs, EVs, breeding etc) which may be beyond the child audiences' understanding, therefore much more clearly aimed at an older audience, so all age ranges can enjoy the game series.

Duzzeno

You just need to be confident in yourself and not care what other people think about you. They're your hobbies, and it's your decision what you do with them.

So basically I'd say you should just roll your eyes and ditch them.

Shindo

You never to old for anything, being young spirited means you will stay young in body too. Think old is being old.

nightsmith97

To Hoenn!
You never to old for anything, being young spirited means you will stay young in body too. Think old is being old.

This^

When I was younger I was afraid to tell others I played Pokemon, simply because they would make fun of me. Now that I'm 18, I honestly don't care about negative things that other people say or think about my hobbies.

Zealot

I don't mind them at all. I know older people than me who still play Pokemon and they don't give a f-ck. Lol.

SeumasMór

Pokemon Ranger
This is a bit of a tricky one I think. I've been playing from the start- I was seven when the first games came out and I'm still playing them. There are lots of reasons I still play; nostalgia, escapeism and that they are just DAMN GOOD GAMES! I think its a sign of a good game if people of all ages, sexes, and backgrounds can enjoy it.

Lifes too short to not do what makes you happy.

Turin

Arc Arsenal
Honestly, according to the topic of the thread I'm replying to, I live on Osaka so people are a little surprised when I tell them my wife and I enjoy Pokemon (We're nearing our 30s) but in Japan there is SO MUCH Pokemon stuff it's hard to resist lol. I don't see a problem, personally, with being a fan of a series, any series, but being a bit on the "older" spectrum. Enjoyment is enjoyment, and I still love my games, from the Red and Blues, to the LeafGreens and X and Ys, to the latest installments. For a while I thought I "grew out of it" but when you like something? Hell, you like something!! Have a blast! :D

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I was getting teased occasionally by my fellow classmates about playing Pokémon when in high school (now I go to university), and I don't agree with them. Pokémon is for everyone, regardless of age.

Last edited: