• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I really don't bother with those people who bother me with that question.
I enjoy playing it, and that's what important. I grew up with it, and still like it having around me. And that's my choice. Nothing will change that.

I like to say "Is your life really that pathetically empty that you have to worry so much about what I like? The man who created the franchise is in his 50s. I heard about a nice gentleman at the World Championships in 2012 or 13 that was in his 60s and got pretty far. Its really just hilarious. Go find a new hobby you jerk

I was in my thirties the first time I played a Pokemon game, but my answer would be the same: I hope I never get "too old" for the things that make me happy. When I watch "Back to the Future" or "Bill & Ted" now, I feel the same joy I felt when I saw them in the eighties. As a matter of fact, I feel double the joy because I still enjoy the movies but I also have the memories of how happy they made me when I was younger. The same is true for my beloved Sega Master System and Genesis games.

Grei

not the color
I don't tell people I play Pokemon until I am close enough to them to know whether or not they'll judge me for it. I'm not some diehard 24/7 fanatic who needs to hide it, I simply don't mention it unless it comes up. Also, in college, most of my friends just kind of happened to like Pokemon, and at this (college) age virtually nobody (at least, nobody who actually matters to me) actually cares or voices their derision, so "you're too old for Pokemon" simply is not something I encounter.

DoctorGar

Pokemon Expert
When somebody tells me that i play Pokemon i tell them that i only play it very rarely and i am never sure how they knew that i played Pokemon if i did not tell them so maybe they are the ones being creepy and not me?
I do not understand the premise of this thread.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Aren't you just old?

Winter Breeze

formely joseph.
When somebody tells me that i play Pokemon i tell them that i only play it very rarely and i am never sure how they knew that i played Pokemon if i did not tell them so maybe they are the ones being creepy and not me?
I do not understand the premise of this thread.
... The point is to talk about people that does know if you play pokemon like your parents, friends... not about people that don't know you.

Last edited:

Post Moderation

Invisible Presence
Only my mom and some of my neighbors know that I like Pokemon, and they have never said I'm too old. But if someone were to say that, I would probably just say, "Well I'm young at heart" and then go to a different subject.

Something else I do that keeps people from potentially making fun of me for liking Pokemon (if they are bold enough to judge me for it right off the bat) is only telling people that I like it if they ask me themselves.

If they don't ask, they have nothing to use against me (again, if they so wish to go that route)

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I couldn't give a rattata who responds to me unkindly for liking Pokémon. I will continue to wear my Pikachu shirt and paint my nails like pokéballs. Maybe I am "too old", but maybe their "too old" for judging me, would they not be? It's like they always say "age is just a number" or we can even go down the "what's in a name?" route. I couldn't care less, how old you are, the color of your skin, your name (respectively), where your from (respectively) or not from. I care if your heart is not pure, and only Arceus will be able to help you then.

Gyaraderp

Herp Derp
When I was younger I would respond with "You're too young to be popping out kids". Because honestly most of the people would ask would be pregnant girls.

Now that doesn't really apply. I'll probably say something like "You're too old to be judging people you don't know."

_Kiwi_

praise the grapes
This isn't really something that I encounter, I guess because I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by relatively supportive people. But seriously... just laugh and shrug it off. If other people are narrow-minded enough to go around judging others for something as simple as their hobbies, then that's their problem. At the end of the day if it makes you happy, then you should stick with it.

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
I bust out laughing, usually accompanied by me clapping my hands. I don't even say anything when I finish; I just walk away and let the person who asked bask in their backwards social norm of being "too old" to enjoy something.

MetaRaven135

Average at Best
I GUESS SOMEONE'S CRUISIN' FOR A BRUISIN'!

In all seriousness though, if someone insults me based on my preferences, I'd just walk away or ignore them. I have no time for such close minded people.

Ditto B1tch

Well, it depends. If it is about the anime, I really must agree that I'm very old as the anime has gotten so childish after season 5.

But if it is about the game, I will totally disagree. This game isn't for kids anymore, it has gotten more complicated after each new generation.

EeveeFan2

I say something along the lines of, 'you know what? You're right, I am too old for Pokemon... but I still enjoy it, and can get lost in its world, so that's enough for me to stay a fan.' Gentle earnestness and kindness is usually enough to get haters to stop hating ^^

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I introduced them to the VGC side of Pokemon, tell me I'm too young now, I dare you. >_>