• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Totoxert

Indigo Plateau Champ
I've been playing Pokémon since it came out and I'm 23 now. However, I've been playing from PKMN Red/Blue/Yellow to ORAS. I still have the cards. I did play Pokémon Colosseum, Snap, Pinball, the Trading Card Game (for GBC), Hello Pikachu, and XD. Anyway, you're never too old for Pokémon.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I explain to people that it is actually a very complex turn based strategy game with a lot of depth with hidden stats that younger players tend to not be aware of, and also that they have national and also world level tournaments.

Also, my fiancee at first thought it was dumb that one of her friends played pokemon still in their 20's but I told her that I had played recently within the last couple years and she seemed more open to it after that. I later found out that a lot of guys my age (pushing 30) that work at the local garmen hub (gps tech company) play the new pokemon games and they have a lot of fun trading but they aren't really competitive with battling and that made my fiancee even more open to it. This past christmas she got me a Legend of Zelda wallet with Pokemon Omega Ruby inside of it. She even ended up making clay sculptures of a pair of eevees representing us after a while.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I did actually encounter someone at one of the churches I had to go to when I was a teenager who basically tried to persuade me to stop playing Pokemon/Video Games because they had "evil intentions" surrounding them. That being said, she also believed that my shark-tooth necklace was evil, too.

As you can see, her attempts were very futile. Lel.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I'm 28 years old..and my family accept the fact that I always have, and always will like Pokemon. To me that's all that matters. My buddies like Pokemon too, so we have no issues. If some random person told me I'm too old, I'd say "Nah."

I think there are more of us than people think

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't say anything; I just hide the bodies.

Nah, I'm in college, where nobody cares that much, and the people who do care will join you.

There was a very good Awkward Zombie comic over that.

I've been playing Pokemon since 1999 and although I took a few years off between 2007-2013, I've really enjoyed catching up on the games and the anime. I'm 30 now and I don't care what people think. My sister is 2 years younger and she loves Pokemon too. Actually, because I now live in China and she still lives in the UK it's been a great way/reason (if i need one) to keep in contact!

For those, in the more awkward years of your life I will say this. Don't worry about what other people have to say, do what makes you happy, whatever that maybe. If your friends don't like your hobbies, then they may not be very good friends.

D

Deleted member 384931

You say: "I am still you, you are not, I am commincating with teenagers, and you not! And besides, you do what you want to do, it is your life! And I agree, friends must respect that, don't they, then they aren't your true friends!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I've been playing Pokemon since 1999 and although I took a few years off between 2007-2013, I've really enjoyed catching up on the games and the anime. I'm 30 now and I don't care what people think. My sister is 2 years younger and she loves Pokemon too. Actually, because I now live in China and she still lives in the UK it's been a great way/reason (if i need one) to keep in contact!

For those, in the more awkward years of your life I will say this. Don't worry about what other people have to say, do what makes you happy, whatever that maybe. If your friends don't like your hobbies, then they may not be very good friends.

Very well said! Exactly. Just be yourself and have fun. That's what counts. If you enjoy playing the games, then so be it.

knightwolf09

I'd say "Then I'm too old for anything. Doesn't make sense? Well that's because you're never too old for anything you like." I was never the best at comebacks.

Muddy120

Muddy Warrior
Hey I wanted to give my input on this. This is definitely a big issue that older Pokemon fans have to deal with and have dealt with for years. I felt like it'd be cool to mention I'm writing an afterlife novel called Spirit Story inspired by Tupac Shakur in which I touch this subject directly in the story. I have a section of it where I attempt to empower all underdogs with Pokemon fans included and people who like animation/adult animation in general as adults past childhood. I'm pretty excited about this and felt I'd should share it in this thread, I even mention the Serebii website in the story too since this is like one of the best pokemon sites out there. But anyways my point was I think this story will be big and it'll empower Pokemon fans to be proud to be fans no matter what age along with other generally more mainstream underrepresented people and categories like racism and sexism.

PsychoKing47

A few years ago people saying stuff like this would really rile me up, but at this point I generally don't concern myself with what people think of my hobbies and interests. I like what I like and other people like what they like. Mocking people for liking "childish" or "weird" things is honestly pretty immature. Besides, I'm likely going to Uni in just over a year, so chances are I won't see many of the people I know now much, if ever, again, so ultimately it's long past the point of mattering now.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
I'm 21 now turning 22. I used to have many friends who also play pokemon back in middle school, now I literaly don't have any IRL haha I don't get the question a lot, but If I do, id say whatever, I can do anything I want.

I'm curious though, is there a poll or survey or something that tells you the age group with the most and least pokemon game players?

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I would say "It is just a game, it's meant for entertainment. And they are rated E for Everyone not 10 and under. It doesn't matter what kind of game you play as long as you have fun."

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
I say: are you too old to eat? Then they usually say that you HAVE to eat. So I say I have to play Pokemon. They shut up after.

Last edited: