• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Da_bomb.com

Hoenn Hype
I just say "this is a blast from the past. It's the best thing that ever happened in my childhood."
Or I say "U call me childish? Tell me exactly where this game says only children can play. I believe it says e for everyone on it."

Mr.FusRoDah

pokegirl24

It's hard to find Pokemon fans my age and when I ask they usually say that's boyish or you are way to old for that or that's a weird or nerdy show it gets on my nerves but I say this I'm a tomboy I grew up watching it and it's my opinion so who cares cause I dont

Mr.FusRoDah

It's hard to find Pokemon fans my age and when I ask they usually say that's boyish or you are way to old for that or that's a weird or nerdy show it gets on my nerves but I say this I'm a tomboy I grew up watching it and it's my opinion so who cares cause I dont

That's awesome. I am 22 and still play. I usually hide it from my gfs. I don't lie to them about it, if they ask if I play it, I'll tell them. I just don't see the need of telling them what games I play if they don't ask, because being 22, I understand more about Pokemon than I ever did before, and to give up now aside from the event of Rapture, Death, or discontinuation of games is out of question.

abdulmuhsee

I recently had an experience like this. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead bringing my DS anywhere outside the home, but I noticed a lady playing Pokemon Black before class one day, so I approached her afterwards and she asked me for a battle the next time class met.

So the time rolls around; she didn't say anything before class, and I was obviously too embarrassed to ask. Suddenly, during break, when almost everyone was still sitting in the room and chatting/eating, she turned around and yelled back at me, "So, are you ready for that pokemon battle?"

At first I sat there dumbstruck and pretended she was talking to someone else, but that couldn't last long and I had to have a conversation across the room that I was, indeed, ready for that pokemon battle. I felt utterly embarrassed as I walked up to sit next to her; we did a 3vs3, since that's the only way the game will autolevel your pokemon (which is terrible, but that's a different story), and I beat her fairly easily since I don't believe she knew or likely cared about EV-training and the like.

The professor walked back in the room near the end of break as I was taking down her last pokemon, and I only hoped to god he didn't see what we were playing, since I think the guy actually had some respect for me. Nobody actually said anything, and the person that sits next to me just smiled and asked if I won or not, recounting his memories of playing as a kid.

All-in-all, I don't think anyone really cares if you play as more than a passing curiosity once you pass a certain age group. My wife and friends don't think anything of it, and people that don't know me and happened to see, well, who cares? Once you get into your twenties, I think the stigma shrinks into a curiosity. I didn't play at all in Jr. High and High School, missing everything after Red/Blue, since anyone playing would be actively stigmatized, but in my college and working years, I'm getting more comfortable with it.

mia100

I wouldn't advertise it say at work or when I meet new people but my friends know I play, I even got some of them to play too. I'm 26 and I do think it would change some people's perception but I think that's more down to them than me. I would prefer people got to know me first. I am quite comfortable playing pokemon in public though and once heard a teenage boy mutter to his mate "Cool, that chicks playing pokemon" Hee hee.

Doodlebug

war flashbacks
So the time rolls around; she didn't say anything before class, and I was obviously too embarrassed to ask. Suddenly, during break, when almost everyone was still sitting in the room and chatting/eating, she turned around and yelled back at me, "So, are you ready for that pokemon battle?"

At first I sat there dumbstruck and pretended she was talking to someone else, but that couldn't last long and I had to have a conversation across the room that I was, indeed, ready for that pokemon battle. I felt utterly embarrassed as I walked up to sit next to her; we did a 3vs3, since that's the only way the game will autolevel your pokemon (which is terrible, but that's a different story), and I beat her fairly easily since I don't believe she knew or likely cared about EV-training and the like.

oh wow i'd have been so embarassed and died :(

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Luckily I have never been confronted about this and many people actually think it's "cute" that I still play Pokemon. My first reaction would probably be to tell them that as long as it doesn't take over my life, they shouldn't worry about me. This depends on how they confront me about it though. If they ask me in a rude way, then I am fully capable of explaining myself in an even ruder way :)

My goodness I'm so ghetto TT~TT

verdian

Pika-Awesome!
Punch the guy in the stomach, kick him in the face, finally grab his hair by the ear and pull it UP
pulling it down wont hurt, but pulling it up really HURTS.

I haven't actually heard anyone ask that since middle school, which show that them caring is just a matter of their own immaturity. I don't remember how I responded, but I probably just ignored him and went on with my day. Honestly, if anyone cares enough about a hobby enough to confront you about it, they probably have some other hang up with you.

shinymankey

Crobat Master
How it'd go
Person-"You're too old to play Pokemon!"
Responses
1-"And your point is what?"
2-"So?"
3-Creepily stare till they go away

The_UnAmerican_Idol

This... Is my Buddy.
I say that I really dont care and its hard to get rid of because it was a large part of my childhood

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
I just tell them nostalgia. Some of my best childhood memories were with friends playing with the cards and the games

and its a wonderful time killer.