• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
I always say: "It's rated E for Everyone! Not from [Insert young age here] to [Insert older age here]."

Naito

I always say: "It's rated E for Everyone! Not from [Insert young age here] to [Insert older age here]."

This is so true!

Honestly, I do not tell people that I love pokemon and it is one of my most favourite things ever, because I do not tell people anything, I am rather a shy person... very shy. But I grew up with pokemon and for 13, or 14? Simply for many years it is one of my addicitions. My parents laughed at me when was 12, that pokemon is for kids. They have probaby no idea, that I am still interested. I am 18 and still don't give a sh*t.
Anyway, I have no idea why people think that pokeomn is for so little, like under 10 years old kids. It is thing enjoyable by any age and it bugs me that it has this label: 'Only kids are allowed to play'
I mean, what makes a game childish in a first place? Do we count to ten there? Are we recognising colors for the first time? Does this game telling as to go to sleep at 7PM? NO. If the people who say things such as: 'You play Pokemon? What are you like 5? It's for little kids lolz'... ever played the games, they would know it is a lot more to it than just cartoon characters as they see them.

Oh, well, I didn't meant to write myself out that much...

I do not say anything. Basically because no one knows I like to play Pokemon ( except my parents) at 22 years old.

Where I live ( South of Europe) no one gives a **** about Pokemon. If I´d wear a Pokemon T-Shirt to the University or I´d say something about Ev/Iv and a long explanation about Pokemon World ( as some of you do), they would run away and they wouldnt touch me even with a stick,xD.

However, I had the chance of travelling to U.S.A some months ago to study some subjects of my Degree. And I saw people of my same age wearing pokemon things on the College, without being asshamed or embarrased. And they didnt fit with the "nerd cliche" because they werent bookworms or anything like that. Actually, they were tall and musculated. I saw too you had Pokemon t-shirts for adults on a clothes shop called Hot Topic or similar name. Here the last time I saw a Pokemon T-Shirt was on Pokemon Generation I with that "boom". But after that...nothing else.

No one plays Pokemon around here. And if we do, we do it secretly. I remember one of my old pals confessing to me he played pokemon on his pc or on the Nintendo Ds of his younger brother,xD. I remember too 2 guys of my same age playing pokemon on their CellPhones very quiet. I knew they were playing pokemon because for 2 seconds one of them put the speakers of their phones loud and I listened to the old pokemon battle music.

XDCOMPLETE

Egg-Cracker
Can't say I've encountered this problem. From my experience it's strange not to like Pokémon, wearing pop culture tshirts in public and often get comments along the lines of "I love Pokémon! ------- is my favourite!" and the like. I know two people with Pokémon tattoos, one even has two.

I did notice it wasn't spoken of during my early teenage years though, but never once was it "Wow, you play Pokémon? That's so immature."

ashdawn504

Dragon trainer.
I show them this because as one famous Tamashii said. Never too old for pokemon, also, there is always at least 1 person that is older than me that likes pewkimanz

Orithan

I got yelled at by my friend for liking pokemon a couple of years back. I told him that he is not one to judge what I play.

There is this big misconception where people tend to think that games suitable for children are only suitable for them and not older people, who think they should play games that are only suitable for older people (Call of Duty is the big one here).

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
I tell them this:

"You like math, right?"

When they say yes, I tell them the huge amount of math in pokemon, and they eventually give in.

Man, good comeback! (although I admit I hate math...) XP

I would ask him (or her) why (s)he thinks that she has the right to question my interests.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Ok, I'm going to share with you my secret weapon for countering any argument about being too old for something or about something being for little kids. If you want people to stop telling you that you're too old for something, no matter what it is, even if most people your age would never watch that show, this is what you do. It's actually one of my best tricks. I even used it when telling some of my friends that I watch MLP FIM. Works every time, I swear.

So here's the secret. Now the world will know.
[spoil]
If someone tells you that you're too old for something or that something's for little kids and you're an adult, play the Ducktales theme song. That's it. That's the secret. Guaranteed, they'll never tell you that you're too old for anything, ever again. And you can be anywhere or doing anything when you do this. You could be on your computer, or at the mall or somewhere you have access to the song. All you have to do is play the theme song. As soon as they're humming that song, they will never bother you again, about being too old for a show or it being too kiddy for you.[/spoil]

It really works as well as it sounds. Try it next time someone tells you that you're too old for something.

Last edited:
I don't really pay much attention to it. My Mum is the only one who has a real issue with it. So far all my uni friends are quite supportive of me playing pokemon, and some of them play it as well. Personally, I think the idea that pokemon is aimed towards younger children is silly, because quite frankly, now that I am older, I understand the game a lot more than I ever did when I was 6 or 7. As far as I am concerned, if you are going to fixate on someone because YOU think that it's weird that they play pokemon when they are so 'old', you need to find more things to do in a day.

orochi

I'd say:
Me: Do you not know all the math and vocabulary in pokemon!?

Person: No... but...

Me: The pokedex holds lots of my vocab....are you in an AP class??? o-0 No your not! I am XD Who is the one who explains everything in our math class??? ME! Where did I learn it??? Playing pokemon for several hours straight! Oh and one other thing...*clears throat*...do you not see how much of an amazing artist I am? Bi*** The first thing I started drawing was a jolteon on a pokemon card!

R2J

R.I.P #31
Say, if I'm to old for this, then your to old for that

RefreezePR

Just trying to help
This, Then I laugh at their stupidity and walk away to live my life they way I want too and not how other people think I should.

cyberworrier94

Story Writer
I feel really fortunate to come from a High School full of Pokemon fans till we all graduated lol. But me and my crew did meet some guys who asked us all why we still play these games at our age. Our reply was singing this and asking them who sang this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4jSt0ne1ck
Spoiler: They're answer was that old songs are boring lol

The Sylveon Mastermind

Supreme Eeveelord.
I'd simply say:
"Lawl, what? This ain't no 'kid's game'. You wanna know something? Creatures are trying to drag kids to their doom. A guy in the games has a mental break down and tries to kill you. Lavender Town is haunted by a ghosly mother who possesses people because she was killed bybhumans and left her child orphaned so the poor thing wears her skull as an accesory and apparently this applies to its entire species. Pokemon is so butch that the scientists named a protein after the mascot. If it weren't for Pikachurin, your eyes wouldn't be able to function in order to see!"
"Really?"
"I don't know, I read it on Wikipedia."
(Run off sentences. )

Zebrob

Electric Enthusiast
Men don't actually need boobs after breastfeeding in infancy, yet they hold interest for entire lifespans. Technically, we should all be too old for boobs. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy!

That was a bit of a stretch for the analogy, but you get the point...