• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
As a 26 year old currently playing X Version (literally as I type this), my response would simply be:

"Tell that to over half the gamer lounge at the college I go to."

Alternatively:

"Can a 10 year old fully comprehend the logistics of EV training, IV breeding, egg moves? No. A 10 year old understands 'catch' and 'fight' unless they are taught about all these things by those who do it, who are mostly adults my age."

I think anyone of any age can learn anything beyond what a person is "supposed to learn" by a set principle or already existing belief or idea by set certain age, all you have to do is walk forward. This kind of thinking breeds the hate for pokemon, because you must do this by this age, etc, etc.

VahnDeathHeart

Father and Breeder
When i have been told that i laugh often because its some 12-15 yr old and say pokemon is older than you.

Kumiho

Blasian
I just ignore them. People these days judge way too much, anyways. I've learned to pay them no mind and just continue living how I want to live.

Hyaena

Photographer
When Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out, everyone in my college dorms got it. It was hilarious seeing all these 20-something men and women walking around with Pokewalkers on their sock or waist.

Oh the memories

Ashrose

Wandering Trainer
I've actually never encountered this sort of confrontation, luckily. I would likely laugh and say that I'm not the only twenty-three year old (married) college student playing Pokémon. Although, I did overhear a classmate insulting the Pokémon TCG, but I simply ignored him.

TheGreaterLucario

I've actually never encountered this sort of confrontation, luckily. I would likely laugh and say that I'm not the only twenty-three year old (married) college student playing Pokémon. Although, I did overhear a classmate insulting the Pokémon TCG, but I simply ignored him.

I, too, haven't really received many derogatory comments for liking Pokemon. Ironically enough, I got made fun of in elementary and middle school for it, but into high school and college, more and more people seemed to like Pokemon, and less and less people had an issue with it.

Dildry

I never get judged for this.. Thing is most people dont judge others for entertainment preferences.. Expect for MLP ofc..

Pokemon was targeted for boys so I never really worried by this..

I will probaly maybe get called an animal ****er by a troll some day..

TorterraOwns

Pokemon:My Friends
You say: I don't recall asking for your opinion, so shut up.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Some choice responses to pull from a top hat on spot (yes, have one at the ready)...

-It's because I have the money to do so.

-The shooting games with blood don't appeal to me as much. I prefer games that require strategy, thought, and cleverness to complete.

-I am sorry, but due to the customer's before you, the number of cares to give in this account has reached zero. Please come back with clarification that you've given the game a chance or that you're old enough to understand, and try again later.

-*present a picture of Latias, Pikachu, or any Pokémon under the Cute Tier* Can you say no to a face like this?

Loyal

The Best
No one has ever said this to me but if they did I'd probably tell them people are allowed to enjoy things regardless of age.

Last edited:

Banana Bloodplanet

I don't actually know anyone that thinks like this. When I was in middle school I heard about those "aren't you too old to be playing Pokemon?" people, and saw an example of it once. But that mentality seems to have gone away in recent years, at least where I live. People played Pokemon in high school and college and no one said anything about being too old. Plenty of people at my state college play Pokemon.

As for what I would say if it did happen: I'd probably ignore them. I don't feel like I owe them a response or should have to justify my interests, and I find conversations about something I disagree with someone on to be boring in the first place.

~Sylveon~

I typically just ignore if a person says that I'm "too old for Pokemon". However, if I'm already cranky, I'll also add on a lengthy ramble about my favorite Pokemon until they go away.

-Raiga-

Honestly it's been years since I've been asked this question. I feel like it's kind of faded away to some degree.

Part of that may have to do with the fact that most of the people I see at college grew up with pokemon. But also, I think even the casual fan has taken note of pokemon's surprisingly deep combat system, so I think there is at least a somewhat higher degree of respect than if I were playing say, "Imagine Babyz".

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Never had it come up since I was 16, one of the guys my friend Amber hung out with asked me why I still played a kid's game at my age, and of course being the naive mouse I was back then I didn't realize he was making fun of me and proceeded to sing the Pokerap from the anime for him right there in the mall food court (quietly of course)...he probably had a good laugh at me once he left. *is embarrassed by the memory*

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
People who say such a thing, usually believe that their opinion is beyond controversy, but... just try to mention that their opinion is 1 of 7 billion. That always works for me.

XTheDarkStormX

I've never heard an adult say that i'm too old for pokémon. I've also never heard someone with an IQ over 90 say that either. So yeah, that pretty much explains what kind of people tend to say that LOL. But if they really start to be assholes about it i might just beat the **** out of them.
For adult guys that like MyLittlePony though... I just find that really weird, i won't tell them that i do, it's their right to like what they want, i just find that a bit creepy lol.

Last edited: