• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I've had people say that before to me :/ I didn't know exactly what to say. I think I just said "Yeah but I still like it"

xDWarrior

Fortunately I only like the games and not the show or anything, so I'm safe. EVERYBODY from my old high school played the games, even popular kids, and I haven't played the games in a while so nobody at college knows, or even cares.

Strawberry Mint

Dancer in the Dark
Generally I just go with "Aren't you a little too old to be judging people based on the kind of video games they play?" If they can't understand that everyone is entitled to like whatever they want, (and nobody's opinion is going to change that) then they're clearly the most childish one here.

There were a looooooot of Pokemon fans in my old school, my good friend and I would battle a lot, and we would always have an audience of excited kids watching us.

Now in high school, there aren't as many Pokemon fans, or maybe it's just that nobody is admitting that they are Pokemon fans. I was playing Black in class a while ago, and after a while, there were 4 other Pokemon fans clustered around our desk with their DS. I was really surprised, I didn't know that there were any Pokemon fans in my class.
The best way to deal with people who think you're immature is to hang around people who are just as "immature" as you are. Hooray for clustergeeking!

Last edited:

gunbomb90

NickR3ita
Generally I just go with "Aren't you a little too old to be judging people based on the kind of video games they play?" If they can't understand that everyone is entitled to like whatever they want, (and nobody's opinion is going to change that) then they're clearly the most childish one here.

There were a looooooot of Pokemon fans in my old school, my good friend and I would battle a lot, and we would always have an audience of excited kids watching us.

Now in high school, there aren't as many Pokemon fans, or maybe it's just that nobody is admitting that they are Pokemon fans. I was playing Black in class a while ago, and after a while, there were 4 other Pokemon fans clustered around our desk with their DS. I was really surprised, I didn't know that there were any Pokemon fans in my class.
The best way to deal with people who think you're immature is to hang around people who are just as "immature" as you are. Hooray for clustergeeking!
Totally agreed with your statement man! Like seriously why the heck they care about what we do?

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
I rattle off a list of everything that makes Pokemon more mature than whatever game they claim is more "age-appropriate" for me.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
My response, though I rarely have to use it, as the people in my school are usually accepting of my gaming habits, is as follows:

"If the best thing that you can find to make fun of me for is my choice of video game, perhaps you need to question your own maturity level as opposed to mine."

Gets 'em every time.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
What you do is...
1. You choose a random Pokemon move, example being headbutt or mach punch, and use it on them.
2. Ignore them.
3. Mock them.
4. Explain the difficult aspects of Pokemon, example being EV training or egg moves.
And finally, 5. Tell them to go buy the game and play it for a month. After the month is up challenge them to a Pokemon battle. When you win say "Ha! Do babies win? No! I guess its not for babies." Then walk away.

FiceTwice

What you do is...
1. You choose a random Pokemon move, example being headbutt or mach punch, and use it on them.
2. Ignore them.
3. Mock them.
4. Explain the difficult aspects of Pokemon, example being EV training or egg moves.
And finally, 5. Tell them to go buy the game and play it for a month. After the month is up challenge them to a Pokemon battle. When you win say "Ha! Do babies win? No! I guess its not for babies." Then walk away.

Especially 4 and 5.

Make them learn past the Anime. The game itself is hard. When the anime started, 8 years ago, i watched it. I stopped after mid Johto cause it was starting to be boring.

But the game is never boring. Yes, until you hit the Battle Tower, wi fi games, etc. You learn there is more to that cute little ellectric mouse!

ZFXZFX

I point out ways that I am better than them, and laugh at them as a Pokemon player is beating them at that specific thing. But most of the time I really don't care what they say about me and my love for pokemon <3

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
I usually just say "that's nice" or something to that effect. However, if they're willing to listen, I attempt to educate them on the competitive side of Pokemon.

Wafer

I used to get pretty mad, to be honest, and I used to try to tell them about the competitive side, but then I realised that nobody actually listens. So now I mostly just acknowledge that I am indeed too old, and continue on my merry way.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Seriously. All you have to say is that Nintendo is manly, because people will diss you for playing Nintendo period. "If it isn't COD or Halo, it's lame." ...right.

Gengar5

I direct them to my left nut

coolminun

Banned
You're never too old for something that you like. Insert seemingly random immature thing person does and loves and tell them they're too old for that.

in my opinion, it's all about lore. A person who likes to trick out their car with giant speakers, rims, tvs, etc or improve the speed and such would be found to be immature to anyone not in the lore. They may say, that instead of wasting money on the car, they should see about investing, or making a college fund for future kids, or donate to good will or what have you. Anybody within the lore of tricking out vehicles would appreciate it, but most importantly you do it because you like it.

Last edited:

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Home-Made Trainer.
"People have their things to love". I have a few friends that still love Pokemon too. But since I never play it again since 2008, I rarely mention anything about Pokemon. But I still watching the Anime sometimes. Its not wrong to like anything in this world like Pokemon.

I don't get people like this. I mean, what do you expect me to like anyway? Mature content? Gosh. I don't like people who made fun of others just because they like Pokemon.