• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I don't get that anymore. I use to get this issue in high school but everyone that I have met has grown out of the attitude now.

No one really cares what I'm into. Bringing Pokemon up in conversation will actually bring up people talking about the old days in general. It links to other cartoons and it's actually makes for good discussion. However most aren't really that into it.

As for highschool it didn't bother me. If they can watch other cartoons aimed at an even younger audience than Pokemon then I can play Pokemon. As for what I use to tell them I didn't really have a comeback. I don't even remember what I did but they never really got a reaction out of me.XD

I was just too excited in highschool to meet another girl other than myself into pokemon to really care about the dislike that many students felt. This might be hard to believe but during the fad era my primary school everyone that was into it were guys. I was the only girl.XD
The girls at my school preferred soap operas and live action stuff. When it came to cartoons it was the early 90's stuff that came prior to Pokemon.

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
No one really cares what I'm into. Bringing Pokemon up in conversation will actually bring up people talking about the old days in general. It links to other cartoons and it's actually makes for good discussion. However most aren't really that into it.

To true, none of my friends outside of league like pokemon, but it's a great topic starter for when we have nothing to say.

Lanik

I haven't played Pokemon in 4 months, but claiming that Pokemon is only for kids and not adults is wrong. That's like saying someone is too old for Legend of Zelda, despite the fact that they liked the franchise as a kid. That said, Pokemon is for adults who've been playing for over a decade, and kids who've been playing since Gen IV. Kids should learn a thing or two from the older players.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Show them some dirty Pokemon fan art and ask if they think the fan base is mature or not. Wait, that's a horrible idea.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I think liking Pokemon in college is kinda edgy and hip, but people always get really shocked when I say that I like the new games. I guess you're only supposed to like the "originals" in order for it to be cool. :I People think I'm a nerd and stuff but really it's only my parents that say stuff like that... so then I just use their money to buy the new games :'D

ohjeezitskim

I encounter less people that say i'm too old to like pokemon, to the people who are pokemon originals, where it's only the first gen and/or the second or third - which is just as annoying, to me.

My dad is the main culprit who says me and my younger sister are too old for Pokemon. I counter it with all the people I know, who are my age and older that still play, and not to mention the people who work at my local gamestop.

I don't know why people try and put other people's hobbies or interests down. It's most likely not going to change anything at all.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Who cares, the best thing to do is laugh them off. As long as your having fun that's all that matters, it doesn't matter what THEY think.

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
"There is no true age limit on something you love."

Simple, to the point. And who cares what they think, anyway?

Zalman

Master of Puppets
I tell them that I grew up with the series and it has always resonated with me. It's something I like to do because it takes be back to the simpler times.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
I encounter less people that say i'm too old to like pokemon, to the people who are pokemon originals, where it's only the first gen and/or the second or third - which is just as annoying, to me.

My dad is the main culprit who says me and my younger sister are too old for Pokemon. I counter it with all the people I know, who are my age and older that still play, and not to mention the people who work at my local gamestop.

I don't know why people try and put other people's hobbies or interests down. It's most likely not going to change anything at all.

My mom rolls her eyes everytime I mention Pokemon. She doesn't really understand it, and jokingly makes fun of me for it, especially the anime (When it came out here, I was about 15-16 years old) My boyfriend does the same. Though they don't really understand why I still love the franchise so much, they don't really give me grief about it.

My 2 year old daughter absolutely loves the anime now, especially Pikachu, so at least I have a new excuse I can use ;)

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
I laugh and pity them.

Really? I don't think anyone would really do that. Stop acting cool and tough over the internet, like the guy above who said he would punch them in the face.

Some of my friends just found out I like Pokemon and one guys response was "Oh ****, really? That's so cool!" And then he wanted me to link everything in Skype after school, YouTube channel, trade shop etc.

And also, wouldn't people rather be unique and have their own "thing" than just being a mediocre mainstream person? As cliche as it sounds, maybe they are infact jealous. Jealous that they aren't unique and special. Or too blinded by their own dumbness to understand.

Last edited:

VaironGod

Dunsparce>Arceus
No one has said that yet to me. My friends might make some jokes when I'm playing Pokemon like "you would". But everyone knows I'm weird and Pokemon is one of my perks ;)

Umbreon Bob

Cyrius

Ice-Cold Charisma
Are you kidding me? have you seen the complexity of this damn game? Damn kids would get Mutilated these days!

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I only have two morons that keep bothering me about this...actually, they always give me **** about something (I don't know why I havn't kicked their asses)

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
Well.....I ask them : What is more complex : Pokemon or your COD games.
They answer COD,I laugh at theri face and tell them how pokemon is more complex..they shut up.