• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Vikings

Oracle
There's no "age limit" for enjoy something. Id you like it, you like it; it's that simple.
I'm too old for games? I am too old to still care with others peoples opinions.

Yup. If someone is really curious or if it's someone like a friend or family member, I usually simply state that the age demographics are actually largely made up of people ~16+. I'm sure we've all seen the picture where it shows COD and Pokemon, and says the targeted age group for COD are adult men, and Pokemon for younger audiences. Then says how it's really flip-flopped.

Besides, if they doubt you just show them the equations for things like IVs and catch rates. They'll be too intimidated to try contradicting you lol.

PKCat

It's like being too old for books. You could've liked them as a kid but you usually don't give them up as an adult.

tomon

person: are you a little too old for pokemon?

me: yes i am dear, yes i am. *then continues playing* :)

TheAviatorDragon

FEAR THE SHADES.
Ask them to provide written evidence from an official source that clearly states the maximum age you are allowed to be a fan of pokemon. When they say they don't have one, mock them and their lack of legal understanding, bemoan them for speaking slanderous lies and tell them that in future maybe they should get their facts straight before they tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Alternatively, mock something they like. I have a colleague who watches WWE. Easy pickings.

Alternatively 2, stare at them for a minute, then headbutt them, and shout "[Name] used Headbutt! It's Super Effective!"

Alternatively 3, shrug it off and ignore them.

Lolcatz. Or should I say lolskittyz. You could also do other moves...like Karate Chop or low kick or sky uppercut or sucker punch. I 'use' low kick in soccer all the time rofl.

I have never been told that, and frankly I don't give a damn what other people say.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Lolcatz. Or should I say lolskittyz. You could also do other moves...like Karate Chop or low kick or sky uppercut or sucker punch. I 'use' low kick in soccer all the time rofl. I have never been told that, and frankly I don't give a **** what other people say.

That made me lol twice! David used Glare! Does have a nice to it, eh? And good for you!

NoxUmbra

I've never had anyone say that to me...yet lol. If someone did I'd tell them to go fly a Drifblim. You don't have to be a "certain" age to enjoy Pokémon or any game for that matter. Red was my first and will keep on playing them as long as Satoshi Tajiri keeps making them! :D

tipton87

Eevee Master
Usually if it happens, I find something I know they like and call them out on it. Everyone has something they like and anything can have a fault. Besides my wife said it at first, and shes glued to the couch playing Y as I type lol.

zeb.42

Funnily enough I have only ever heard other gamers say this, to which I usually reply then aren't you too old to be playing video games at all. Otherwise just highlight that they are wasting time they could spend enjoying whatever they like.

i just kind of ignore them now to be honest!! like seriously, it's not like i'm breaking the law by playing pokemon, dude, just let me have fun and relax and forget that i have to worry about getting into college and finding a job for a while please, thanks

khafka

gotta smoke 'em all.
I ask them if they enjoy art. Video games are art, and just because the target is children does not mean it is limited to them. If that was the case, we couldn't enjoy candy or parades or cartoons. People are close minded. I'm 22 and enjoy pokemon games for its deep storylines, visual aspects, dynamic role playing and god it just takes me back.

shadowjeff

shiny hunter :D
how to handle it
just ignore it and play and if you want friends on pokemon you can always go to forums such as this one to make new friends

Ditto B1tch

Nobody says that to me 'cause I avoid telling that to people that are likely to say that to me.

Pokemon subjects I share with people that also like Pokemon, anime or games.

Last edited:

LeasCelyn

Cranky Retiree
PSSH. It's for everyone, there's nothing about it that's pitched toward a specific age group. Those of us who played Pokemon as children all have fond memories of it (I still get sentimental when I see little kids who've just gotten into the series, especially when they have no idea what they're doing.) When something is part of your experience of growing up like that, it never really goes away.

Some people might think this is an exaggeration, but Pokemon has had a huge influence on the person I've become, from the way I express myself through my art and writing to my values and moral code. It's true, I'm not obsessed with it like I used to be, and I like a lot of other series, but I'll always go back to Pokemon in the end. To say that someone is too old for something that's so close to their heart is like saying one can be too old to be happy.

...That's the way that I usually explain myself IRL, and I've found that people have a hard time arguing with me afterward.

Last edited:

sst

-ILLUNIS-
It really doesn't bother me :) I hope none of you let it get to you either. If someone says that to me i just say i probably am too old :) haha never will bother me. (im never guna stop playing, 10 years and i haven't) Im 18 btw..

wizarmon

If someone said this to me i would say "I enjoy it, so i'm not too old." I don't think this is only for kids even though sometimesi it's too childish. Especially, movies are definetly not for childeren.

jgrizzy89

Considering I'm in the Navy and everyone is always calling people out on ****, this happens a lot. Funny thing is though is that now for some reason there are like forty people on my ship of about 300 that are playing X and Y (openly lol) and NO ONE is even questioning it anymore! It's pretty badass if you ask me.

matterzheart

"You don't know me. YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFEE!!!!" Followed by a barrage of wild fists.

Actually, I kind of just nod and go on about my day. IDGAF.