• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

TogepiPunches

Togepi Punter
I tell them that just because I play a game that looks like it is for children does not make it a game for children. Sure the anime is a little silly but the game mechanics can be quite challenging. In general I enjoy the games and in the long run that is all that matters, right? :)

I just say "nahh" and that's it. Why justify yourself, they shouldn't be so concerned about what you do. Then again, it depends entirely upon how it's said in which I might give a different response. I'm assuming you're talking about the condescending kind of "Aren't you too old to be playing Pokémon?"

Another popular response of mine is "No, I have a mental age of 7" You can't usually go wrong with self-deprecation because then they don't feel like their statement is validated.

When I went to the Pokémon centers in Japan, I saw all kinds of people on their DSes: young and old, attractive and unattractive. I guess it's just a cultural thing.

Last edited:

Räven Velish

black lives matter
No one has really said that to me. I'm not one of those no-life kids who's addicted to Pokemon. I usually only play it randomly, like when I'm incredibly bored on a long car drive, or on an airplane. And I have about two friends, and a second cousin, who just like me, barely play Pokemon. I really don't play video games that much. But when I do, it's usually something random and not Pokemon. I have many games, but I don't like Pokemon specifically. I play basically anything and everything, from Mario to COD, so I so don't really devote any 'extra' time to Pokemon, besides going to this site. But half the time I come here its just to talk to my friends or to see what people are whining about on the XY forum. I don't even like the cards, or the anime, or the manga, not even competitive battling. I play the game only for a 3 week period after getting it, and really never play again til the next game comes out. I'm basically a casual gamer, not a specific Pokéfan.

But if someone did say that to me, I would say "Go suck some Pokéballs". Then walk off in badass slow motion, maybe stick up the finger, leaving the person behind me stunned. <3. Unless it was my mom or dad, then I'd be like "Oh, um... its fun to play... and I like it...".

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Candy.
I've gotten comments like this when in elementary and middle school, but I've noticed that as I've gotten older, people don't really seem to care about what I'm into anymore. Anyway, if for some freak reason some person came up to me and said that I'm too "old" for Pokemon, I would go the assertive route and probably say: "Nope. Not at all." Aaand if that person kept persisting, then I just wouldn't bother because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I have beaten the elite 4 a total of 5 times so I am good!

Since getting overleveled is extremely easy, that's not much of an accomplishment.

I tell them until they are good enough to beat me they have no room to talk!
But I completely agree with this though. It is illogical to dismiss the Pokémon games because of the easy difficulty in the main story. Winning competitively is the hard part.

I'm not saying that competitive playing is all the games have going for them, but it still is good to bring that up to people who criticize the Pokémon games for being "too easy".

Murder Doll

Button Presser
The notion that one's maturity is desided by what they enjoy is steeped in immaturity.

Really though....people that judge you for such silly things aren't worth saying anything to.

IggyKoopaStar

I remember those moments when people did told me that they find me 'too old' to enjoy something like Pokemon. I do actually think that if you like something, I think it's good to stay into it, no matter what others does think, so it's what I do, and I won't stop because some people does think differently than me.

So basically, what I do is telling them that I can like what I want and that there isn't really a limit of age to play and enjoy it. However, at most cases, I just ignore their thoughts and I do continue enjoying it, and nothing will stop me if I'm really pround of being into it.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
The kids who usually do this are the ones that think CoD is the best game ever, as it adds like 2 new guns a game, and that is justifiable for paying £50.

Lol, well I don't go around broadcasting I play Pokemon, but to be honest, when someone does see I'm playing Pokemon they think it's awesome. Mostly because I'm usually playing on my iPhone so that's something in itself. Even the girlfriend thinks it's pretty cool I play Pokemon. Obviously, she wouldn't play herself, but hey, who knows?

"And you're too young for GTA"

Don't say anything. Just push them in the wood chipper and walk away :D

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Go all Brittany Matthews on them and tell em that you don't care and that you'll shove a stylus pen up their uterus

Last edited:

T5000X

Indivijul
"You're too old for Pokémon."

"You're too old for the 10th grade."