• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Joth

Back from the Dead
Spit in their eye and burn down their house with your Charizard before soaring into the sunset singing the Original Series theme song.

Sheepy Lamby

Back in high school I posted a photo of a shiny pokemon I hatched on facebook and a girl said "Aren't you a bit to old to be playing pokemon? smh..." I replied by saying "Aren't you a bit too young to be having a kid?" (she was 16 and pregnant) and less than 10 minutes later she removed her comment.

There's no such thing as "too old for pokemon". I'm currently a grad student and there's definitely more people that do like pokemon than don't. I even know parents age 35+ who play pokemon with their kids (and me :p)

Good story about that girl, lol.
No shame to say I taught my nephews hot to play Pokémon. My aunt gave me Pokemon Red when I was at university. (That means I am older than Arceus!)

Sheepy Lamby

Good story about that girl, lol.
No shame to say I taught my nephews hot to play Pokémon. My aunt gave me Pokemon Red when I was at university. (That means I am older than Arceus!)
I rather play Pokémon than wasting my money on beer, drugs or any kind of bad stuff that can give me cancer.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Spit in their eye and burn down their house with your Charizard before soaring into the sunset singing the Original Series theme song.

oh you're different, eh?

as for me i might say that why don't you try the game yourself even if its a kids game I'm sure you will get to learn something, words with something like that

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
My uncle has gotten quite an obesession with GTAV.

For years he has criticized my choosing to play Pokémon, but after seeing himself in his love for Grand Theft Auto, he realized that the enjoyment of a game has no limits.

I'm set to graduate with my first degree this semester, and Pokémon has yet to stop being fun.

Interesting note, btw. There's a guy in my music theory class who wears a different Unova badge on his coat everyday. According to him, I was the first person to notice what they were. He was wearing the Legend Badge that day.

norcali

Title Goes Here
I would ask them what they see as "correct" adult activities in their mind. I'd really like to know. Then I might explain to them the deeper game mechanics. In the end, the nice thing about becoming an adult, is that you realize it really doesn't matter what other people think about your harmless choice of fun.

HolyNova Lucario

Average as average can be
Well I would say "What if I told you...the Pokemon Company can buy your life 1000 times over and more". Anyway, I would really say Pokemon is nothing more of than a hobby to entertain myself. It shouldn't matter what I like, be it Pokemon or otherwise. As long as it gives me entertainment it shouldn't matter if it is for kids. Heck, even Hulk Hogan supported a Pokemon Parade in New York once.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Well, whenever anyone say that (Whic is pretty damn rare.) I just look them deep in the eyes and say "Yes. Yes I am"
And then that topic ends

Hakuhyou

I remind them of the fact that Driftbloon takes children to the underworld, Hypno gives children nightmares, and Yamask is a human being who died, turned into a Pokemon, and looks at its mask (Which was its face while it was alive), and sometimes cries over it.

After that, they pretty much realize it's not just for kids.

MaddieShinx

Pokémon Breeder
I always give the person that says it to me such a dirty look, and tell them, "If you think I'm getting too old for Pokemon, you are obviously not mature or childish enough to understand the intelligence and maturity you need to comprehend such an art form like Pokemon"

Bel

Just a bit flighty
I'm in my 20s, and the closest I've ever come to any situation like that was a guy asking what I was playing. I said, "Pokemon. I'm a cool person like that." He ended up talking happily about playing Pokemon ROMs with his friends in college.

Really, the older you get, the less of a problem people are likely to have with you enjoying 'younger' things. That attitude seems to peak around mid-late teens.

MedMana

Wired, Yet Tired
I have yet to have that problem, though my I can always point out that Red and Blue were originally, in fact, meant for teenagers and it was the anime that forced it to drop the ESRB rating. 'Cuz hypno and Mother Marowak are definitely child material (not like that logic's stopping GameFreak these days, but that's their business.)

"And you're too young for Grand theft auto/Call of duty"

Haha back in like 9th grade I used to play pokemon with some of the Seniors. Im graduated now and I still love Poke'mon!

Domino_621

Shiny Hunter
I don't really tell anyone that I like pokemon. I just keep it to myself so I don't get made fun of. Now I don't care what other people think. You like what you like. Just let the haters keep on hating.

Kindlenight96

"It gives me different combinations on how to kick your ***.". Or if they have their own 'childish' interest I remind them of that. Usually they never say it to me, though. Just... ignore me when I talk about it. No one really says it to me anymore now that I point out they're a hypocrite!

Dr. Audino

Fairy Therapy
I've yet to meet anyone who has presented me that question. My thought though is that if they really feel that in order to be an adult you have to restrict yourself from things like pokemon then they in turn are not acting like an adult but a child. After all, it is children who play that sort of game, right? Children, in hopes of acting like an adult, tell themselves " I wont play that, thats for babies" and so on so forth. Thus if someone is honestly getting on my case about it, I'd probably tell them to 'grow up'

Last edited: