• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Solitary Poet

I say that I'm a father and that makes me exempt from the "too old" stereotype and by the time my kids are too old they will probably make me a grandfather...that will also make me exempt.

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
All of my friends like and play Pokemon, and my family watched me grow up with it so they know it's always been a big part of my life. My nephews and nieces are into it too, so I guess that would make me 'exempt' from being too old for it, like how ^Solitary Poet said.

Tbh though if anyone were to tell me I was too old (which, to this day, I've never had to deal with), I'd probably just snort-laugh in their face. It's fun and harmless. So why is it bad for me to play it?

KilluaGirl

Lil'chu
I just explain that no, the storyline is directed for children, but there's a lot of strategy involved in competitive gameplay.
Usually they'll leave me alone and if not I start talking about the mechanics of Pokemon and get left alone haha

I've gotten this throughout the years and honestly its rather annoying.... I mean I respect others opinions and all but there comes a point were you keep things to yourself.

I agree with many of the responses I have read above. I usually ignore those who try to make me feel bad about the things I enjoy. It's like this is me and what I enjoy and do you see me going around telling others what they should or should not like??

Be yourself and enjoy what it is you like.

I say some things I shoulnt repeat since this site is nice enough to let children on and responsible enough to censor swearing

nel3

Crimson Dragon
to me, i say old habits die hard.

dragonskull

Dark trainer
Responding to the thread starter; You're never to old for anything regarding things you do in your spare time. If the person tells you something like that it's most of the time because they envy the enjoyment you have in something which makes it obvious that they're not having as much fun as you do. :)

Tangeh

I've found it's more acceptable for me to play pokemon now in university than when I was in jr. high / late elementary - my peers are just less judgmental now that we're older, I guess. It's mostly my parents who look at me sideways for it. xD But I don't care what they think cuz they'll love me anyways. <3

If somebody were to directly confront me and say I was too old for pokemon... hmm, I mean idk who would ever say that to me xD I'd mostly just write them off as being a jerk but if I was alone I'd probably give a response like "I don't play the games so much anymore, mostly online simulators because the battle system is pretty deep" blah blah... if I was with friends I'd probably just joke around with them. "guyz I'm so old halp". (we have a running joke that I'm an elder because I'm the oldest girl in the group by a matter of months xD) And then behind their backs I'd gossip about how rude they were ~ (my friends don't play pokemon but they'd go after anybody who tried to confront me like that xD)

If somebody was genuinely curious I'd be happy to tell them I'm a fan of RPGs and that pokemon has a great battle system, if lacking in plot and difficulty. And of course it's something I grew up with, so I basically know the mechanics inside and out now.

Last edited:
My classmate once recognized a Latias and Latios and his friends said that it's weird to know the names of Pokémon.
That was probably the most stupid thing that I have ever heard.

Tangeh

^ I distinctly remember once in jr. high pretending not to know the names of pokemon when it came up in a conversation. I was like "ooh yeah the turtle one was my favourite when I was a kid hahaha". lol jr. high days.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
i haven't had this problem much. as a senior in high school i whipped out my OR at a random time during a sleep over with all the other guys, and somebody asked what i was playing (punkish in charge pecking order kinda dude) and i said pokemon and he just said cool and we kept talking about whatever it was we're talking about.
basically my quirks and beliefs have gotten enough respect from people that they don't ask if i play pokemon or have pony plushies at school. it's just me.

UnknownMr.Ree

I just say "old habit dies hard".. I grew up playing pokemon games and i'm always looking forward to see new pokemons and play wifi battle with my friends..

I just laugh it off! Usually I noticed that most of the people who told me that waste their time in other ways and complain of boredom. I refrain from engaging in any sorts of arguments with them

Tactical Squirtle

I was first told when I was 11. I would say I have outgrown the anime series simply because of the sole target demographic. Though, I occasionally am tempted to see if I missed anything worth while. I still find the games extremely fun and deep. Through the story, amount of Pokemon you can catch and the types of team building strategies you can use.

I just do a Phineas and Ferb on them. Just going "Yes. Yes I am." I have outgrown the TCG part but my little 8-year old nephew is getting into Pokemon alot. He once was blathering me about some legendaries and crud. He was even gulliable enough to think there's a Mega Luxray and Mega Roserade in Pokemon ORAS. Also, I'm finally learning about how IV breeding and training works.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
I honestly cannot even reply because one of my friends on here is 20 somrething and getting married \and there is a club for it at my university so I just...I just cannot reply to the nobsense

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
"Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you."
-- Tyrion Lannister --

The above quote portrays my feelings on the matter quite well. I'll never be ashamed of my preferences. The contrary in fact, I'm proud of them. Non-mainstream preferences say something about your own drive for real authenticity, and of choosing to remain authentic despite resistance from society. It's a strength.

So honestly, my reaction could be described as the 'honey badger'. I just do what I want, and the rest can go frak themselves (or each other while they are at it, and produce those oh-so-desirable mainstream kids frakking up society and making it the--- nevermind I'm getting carried away). Point is, these people assuming individuals that play Pokemon cannot be creative, intelligent, competent human beings aren't worth your time. Nor words. Or energy. If you engage in any discussions with these people, you are indirectly taking them/their statements seriously. They will feel acknowledged (either consciously or unconsciously), and will likely not be enlightened. It has nothing to do with your own skills of communication. It's just their own incapability to appreciate anything that hasn't been spoon-fed into them by society's social standards. Let them figure it out by themselves, perhaps when they are nothing more than old, wrinkled, insatiable and unsatisfied consumers (if they keep this attitude up).

In a practical sense, you have several possibilities of not taking them/their statements seriously.
Some examples:

• Frowning at them in disbelief
  • Laughing in their face
  • Looking at them as if trying to understand them, then shaking your head as you must have imagined something to be interesting while it wasn't, and continue what you were doing
  • Flat out ignoring them
Or any combination of these of course. The list goes on...