• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Pogeymans

I kind of feel like once you get to a certain age you stop living your life for other people so I'd probably just shrug it off and try and make them feel weird for making such a statement. In highschool I was self conscious about my interest in Pokemon but not anymore :)

Majestic-Flygon

I don't remember being told that I'm too old for Pokemon. I think maybe there was some sort of stigma during middle school because that was a time where people wanted to be more mature. But then during high school and now in college, people got more accepting with Pokemon. I just love how people get excited about Pokemon even though we're all adults now.

I guess you get to a point where you get too old to buy the newest Nintendo. I haven't played since BW but I have an emulator on my phone so I play hacks and such at work and my 40 year old coworker thinks it's awesome.

I'm 32 years old and I have Asperger's syndrome. I proudly tell people I love pokemon. People have thought I was weird my whole life for a variety of other reasons, so what's one more? I was hyped at the announcement of Sun and Moon. I have a cap that I got at Spencer's for five dollars with Snorlax, Wobaffet Togepi and psyduck. I get more compliments on it than I have any of my Nascar or Baltimore Raven caps.

Edmund Daltonic

Pokemon has trascended from a "children's cartoon" to a special "cool" niche among those who grew up with the yellow feber, along those kids who have been hooked with it in recent years. Very few franchises can proudly say the same.

Bahmo

I forfeit the prerogative of rebuttal to other players; presumably the sort of players who figured out what wave-dashing was of their own device, rather than the sort who figured out by being constantly downwind of the former. Pokemon has the wavedashers covered; on a ludological level, at least during multiplayer, Pokemon games are incredibly deep and technical and deserve at least the same esteem as Chess gets in High Society.

As to it's narrative? Pokemon is one of the most banal gaming franchises out there, and I actually wish there were more people sneering at it vocally for that reason. The worldbuilding still reeks of Game Boy's limitations, the writing tends to land on some scale of insultingly simplistic to insultingly pretentious, and the cast, though often nice to look at, are otherwise firmly in the Anti-Goldilocks Zone of appeal with how they're presented.

Most game characters will be designed with the goal of stroking at least one of two sweet spots; Mario and Link don't have much personality, but they have plenty abilities for maximum motion and emergent play within their world, while turn-based RPGs and visual novels don't give you as much control but give characters intriguing personalities. Pokemon, though, have none of the above; in the main games, they don't talk, the closest they have to personalities are natures that just cause them to gain stats differently and have different tastes in food, and you aren't controlling them directly or permitted to fool around in the world with their abilities. This limited gameplay might not be so bad if the "story" segment of the games had finesse of the sort acknowledged above to be in multiplayer, but instead constant handholding ruins the challenge--from trainer sprites to signs and info-givers at the entrances of gyms to those ridiculous "about to use" messages, it's just too easy to be exciting. Then there's the humans--they have even less mechanical worth than the Pokemon, and even though they talk, there's not much of interest that they say.

This stinks because they could do more with this series, and you get little whiffs here and there of what the series could be in spin-offs and some in-game text, but overall it's designed to be a game at the extreme expense of being a world, which means that for people who aren't willing to sit through hours of mundanity before the real depth sets in, there's little to like.

Nyarth

That's right!
Luckily no one ever says that to me. XD But if they did, I'd say, "No, I'm not."

LinksOcarina

The true master
I will be 30 this year, and I know folks who are around my age still playing.

I don't really worry about such perceptions, in the end Pokemon remains a very good strategy RPG, so it's worth playing to me.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
To be honest. I just say that it makes me happy to play and to be respectful of that fact. Not had any problems. People seem genuinely interested too!

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
"You're never too old for something you enjoy. If t makes you happy, brings you enjoyment, or you just personally have other reasons, it's fine to play whatever you want." Usually my go to phrase, give or take a few words, depending on the situation.

Only my family and bf knows that I still like Pokemon, but it never comes up in conversation, so I never have to try and defend it. If anyone did, I'd just shrug and not care. Pokemon has been a part of my life for nearly 17 years, not an easy thing to give up :p

The games are excellent and fairly unparallelled in the depth and strategy they bring; people don't realize that Pokémon is one of the most complex games ever created in terms of the sheer number of possibilities, strategies and tactics available. There's a lot more to it than a badge case and trying to "catch 'em all". Some of the older movies genuinely aren't bad as well.

But I will admit that the anime has gone somewhat downhill in terms of quality in recent years; it just doesn't have the level of maturity the older series did. But the games are unmatched in their respective fields.

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
I'm 28 years old..and my family accept the fact that I always have, and always will like Pokemon. To me that's all that matters. My buddies like Pokemon too, so we have no issues. If some random person told me I'm too old, I'd say "Nah."

Last edited:

Vroomer

I'm 36. With a wife and 2 kids. Sports car in the driveway. Own 2 houses. Work so my wife can stay at home with the rug rats. Spent 14 years in the Army - 2 tours in Korea, 1 tour in Iraq, and 2 tours in the Pentagon. Done with that.

I take it you think I should be drinking to excess and watching sports to relieve stress. Right?

benibel

The beauty of Pokémon is that all ages can enjoy it.

I'm nearly 30, and just rediscovered Pokémon since I stopped playing it after Gold, and loving every second of it!

I work in a toy store, and trust me, a lot of adults still play and enjoy Pokémon!