• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Raxacoricofallapatorius

Exalted Meme Junkie
I'm in my early 20s, so I have arguably lived and breathed Pokemon since its inception. Nearly all of my friends and family play Go or the Nintendo games, so I'd wager the franchise will be in my life for a while still.

rmctagg09

Wandering Researcher
I'd get irritated, but unless they really made it a problem I'd probably just ignore them.

A Teacher started mocking us about how kids that played pokemon when she asked who played it, she asumed we were distracted brats that lost interest on school then i raised the hand and told her my grades.
(Never talked to me again)

STICKTOPIA

I used to ignore them and do my own thing. I don't hear it anymore because lately more people have been into it. I love Pokemon so I don't listen to people who want to criticize me about it. My theory is that they need to mind their business

cellcia

The fact that Pokemon Go is widely popular means there's a lot of closet adult Pokemon fans out there. From looking at the Pokemon Go commercials and other media, most of the players look like college students and maybe even older - so, that's perhaps their target audience? not sure.

I was in high school when Pokemon came to the US and back then, the games were very basic and elementary - "let's catch Pokemon and make friends". The franchise has grown and catered to a more adult taste with even N questioning the morality of capturing Pokemon. The meanings in the games have become more deep and transcendental. There's really something everyone can enjoy.

Luckily no one said I was too old to play. I love the art and culture of Japan in general so it's hard not to enjoy Pokemon. If someone did say something, I would probably question their own hobbies.. .

Jockeli

I'm in my mid 20''s and I'm still playing pokemon x. Everyone knows I still play it and they couldn't care less, no one has mocked me at all. I think it comes down to the fact that it's still just a game like anything you'd get on consoles and everyone I know is really into gaming. At the end of the day most people are playing pokemon go so they can't say anything.

I'm in my 20s as well and I am still playing Pokémon games. I don't see why that would be a bad thing. Everyone has different hobbies they indulge in and mine's as harmless as can be. As long as you don't play every waking hour, it's just a hobby that makes me happy, makes me feel young again and lets me dream. So I would try and make them understand my view of things - and if that doesn't work, I would simply shrug my shoulders and go on to enjoy my hobby.

Dr. Eeviil

Since I was playing video games for 20 years before Pokemon even came out, I was probably already "too old" even when I started. But I just ignored people who thought that. I used to play with my sister's kids when they were younger so they've always had the example of an adult who wasn't "too old" for stuff. Now that they're in their 20s & 30s, they still play on and off. Only one grand-nephew so far and he just turned 7 a couple weeks ago. I only see him a couple times a year, so he's usually shy around me (and my brother, and our mother). But he was wearing a pokemon t-shirt, so I asked them about that, and showed him my DS with Pokemon Omega Ruby and he came over and started talking to me about his pokemans. He had his 2DS with him, and every game cartridge, except Pokemon so I couldn't give him his birthday Eevee.

ToolboxHD

Your stupid dumb Shooters can never ever compare to the competitive skill based game of Pokemon.
(I basically mean that Pokemon requires real skill and math and maintaining a kiddy appeal.)

What can you say? Defending yourself leaves you vulnerable regardless of how you word it. If they already have that opinion, it will take quite a lot to change their minds. Just reply, "No one is too old to enjoy games."

monkerz

Trex in Training
I stopped caring and just ignore it. People who say stuff like that are just trying to validate their own lives. But if they're truly being a prick about it I usually say something snarky ie "So I guess running around shooting virtual bullets with 12 year olds who insult me MAM online is more appropriate?" Yawn.

dayvee

I'm in my mid 20''s and I'm still playing pokemon x. Everyone knows I still play it and they couldn't care less, no one has mocked me at all. I think it comes down to the fact that it's still just a game like anything you'd get on consoles and everyone I know is really into gaming. At the end of the day most people are playing pokemon go so they can't say anything.

I'm pretty much in the same boat - if you enjoy it, that's what's important. Life is too short after all! I tend to use my favourite Archer quote when questioned about it: 'You're not my supervisor!'

SWMegaFan

This thread reminds me of back when I was in middle and high school. Pokemon came about around the time I was in 6th grade and me and other peers of mine. However, I went to some pretty tough school. Not "tough" as in ghetto but "tough as in, one is pressured to act "cool" and whatnot and liking things like Pokemon was seen as uncool and dorky; it's not like today where liking things in geek/nerd culture - and being open about it - is cool and not looked down up as back then, one had to look like they were too cool for that sort of stuff because otherwise, you'd be ridiculed and made fun of (so one either had to give it up under peer pressure or just not openly talk about it to avoid bullying). Unfortunately, this happened to be during 7th grade and though I knew of others that did like Pokemon as well, the ridicule would happen anyway.

I'd be lying if I stated that this didn't have an affect on me; yes, I still was playing Pokemon games up until Gen 3 and yes, I had left the franchise - both the games and the anime - by the time I was done with HS as I was about to start college (meeting new people and getting involved in extracurricular activities) and had a general sense of growing out of Pokemon (at least at the time) I can't help but think that the ridicule from a few years back may have had a subconscious effect on me years later (though I never once started acting like I hated Pokemon). Now that I'm older and a bit wiser, at this point of my life I couldn't care what anyone else thinks. I came back to playing Pokemon games after thinking back to those times that I did - despite the fact that I'm at a different place in my life than where I was art 11+ years ago - and it's awesome to see that Pokemon is still around 20 year and 6 generations later (soon to be 7).

I say

Pokemon is not a kids game, it's a game for all ages. There is a difference. And anyway, I am entitled to my own opinion, so even if I respect your way of seeing it, you cannot try to force me to think of it any other way.