• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you take in to account when picking pokemon for a party?

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Before I moved to Nuzlockes, I always chose my team based on what I felt like using. It didn't matter whether or not I had overlapping types. I mean, heck. My Pearl team has two ground types, both of whom have a 4x weakness to Ice. Now, with the release of a new generation, I normally went for a team consisting of new Pokemon for the initial playthroughs. After that, it was fair game.

thetamale

I just pick my favourites, I make sure to vary my types and gens - so with XY I'll aim for no type or gen overlapping. Gets so hard choosing a final squad I just arrange my boxes by type and have the top row being my favourites of them and just dive in.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
If i like the pokemon and if its type is one that i dont have yet.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
In the past, most of my teams were a hodgepodge of favorites I had fancied bringing along for the journey. But, game after game... I'd find that I had used some pokemon (like Eevee and Blaziken...) much too often, and there were other pokemon I wanted to try out.

So, recently I tried a run with all bug type pokemon as I hadn't used some of my trusty bug mons in ages, and later I'd have themed, but nonspecific type teams like all birds which included of course many flying types but also pokemon like Golduck and Blaziken (good to see you again, partner). My current run on white 2 entails slithery, tentacled pokemon like Cradily, Elektross, and Tentacruel. It was nice to use Tenta again since I hadn't raised one in forever, and I forgot how fun it was to have it on the team. Also, I had always appreciated Ele's design, but never used it and now I really like it!

I put designs and themes before strategy. It's more fun, I think, to mold the best strategy with what you have, even if you aren't the most competitively viable team around, hahah. There are still some holes in type coverage my team is working on... but heck, I'm enjoying myself! And the difficulties you face with mono type or themed teams makes the game even more rewarding, especially on Challenge Mode.

Orphee

no need to be upset
First I go with the looks, then rotate with the new ones I'm catching. Also I don't like to use pokemon with the same type simultaneously, even if it's secondary, like flying.

bajuwa

In the past, most of my teams were a hodgepodge of favorites I had fancied bringing along for the journey. But, game after game... I'd find that I had used some pokemon (like Eevee and Blaziken...) much too often, and there were other pokemon I wanted to try out.

So, recently I tried a run with all bug type pokemon as I hadn't used some of my trusty bug mons in ages, and later I'd have themed, but nonspecific type teams like all birds which included of course many flying types but also pokemon like Golduck and Blaziken (good to see you again, partner). My current run on white 2 entails slithery, tentacled pokemon like Cradily, Elektross, and Tentacruel. It was nice to use Tenta again since I hadn't raised one in forever, and I forgot how fun it was to have it on the team. Also, I had always appreciated Ele's design, but never used it and now I really like it!

I put designs and themes before strategy. It's more fun, I think, to mold the best strategy with what you have, even if you aren't the most competitively viable team around, hahah. There are still some holes in type coverage my team is working on... but heck, I'm enjoying myself! And the difficulties you face with mono type or themed teams makes the game even more rewarding, especially on Challenge Mode.

I must say I love doing themed teams. I haven't had a chance to try many yet since I keep getting distracted, but an all eevee team, or a 'based-on-real-animals' team (which by now with 650+ pokemon and a 6th batch on its way can be further broken down to dogs, cats, goldfish, etc...)

Ninfia-Fan

Also, to add on to what I said before, I will be choosing Fennekin, probably Fletchling and the event Torchic... So three fire types....
But when I can get Noivern, I might swap Fletching/Talonflame to eliminate the '3 fire types overlap' weakness.

Yes, I will still have two fire types, but if Fennekin turns out Fire/Psychic or Fire/Fairy (or something else), then I think there will be enough contrast with Blaziken's Fire/Fighting combo.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
The first three or four are usually just favourites, but then the last two or three I tend to have to balance my team in terms of weaknesses. Three Pokemon being weak to one type is the absolute limit in a team of six for me, and it rarely even gets to that point.

ThisIsPatrick

My team starts to assemble around the 3rd or 4th gym. My team has to look like a team, A team that can look out for each other is the best team. I usually pick Pokémon I haven't used before, I try and make a team of "misfits" look incredible. I also sometimes pick Pokémon that are nostalgic to me (Pokémon that I watched during my kiddy years of Pokémon).

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
mostly, i first choose one pokemon that i like. than i build a balanced team around it. i look at serebii what moves they can learn, and if they cant learn any move, i wont choose them. i also like to have a surfer and a flyer in my team. and the last few games i also watched how quick they grow. Medium fast is my favourite

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Just use whichever Pokemon you like - whichever Pokemon "feels right" and that you'll enjoy having on your team. I have recently gone for Pokemon I wouldn't usually think of using on my team. I don't usually use Bug, normal or Poison-types, and I forced myself to have one of each, and it was really refreshing and I loved it. I wouldn't go for Pokemon you always have, as I think it makes the game feel a little stale. 4 of my Pokemon in my team were weak to Rock, but that didn't hinder me too much.

Dreamy

Usually I just go with my faves, but sometimes I'll try to make a balanced team. This time around I'm going to try and combine both methods.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Well, I may as well just post what my Team ends up being <_<

1. Starter

2. Secondary Fire/Water/Grass.

3. Flyer/ Tritagory Fire/Water/Grass.

4. Flyer/ Favorite.

5. Favorite

6. Cute Stuff/Favorite

Essentially that.

That always ends up being able to counter every Pokémon in the game and be very well balanced anyway <_<

pikachu780

The only dendenne
team

when i pick a team i always prefer to have a diversity of types and the ocassional over lap of normal and normal flying like with my zigzagoon and my taillow because they are fun to use and are easy for me to catch train and evolve.I also go for looks stats and type balence.

Rosa Sunshine

Shining Beauty
I take in acount the sprites... really! the ones when you go to the pokemon menu like this ;373; :)

I only use pokemon with sprites that I like and that are stetical (I know it is a bit weird...)
I love this ones ;373;;470;:508:;350;;468;;227;;282;;260;;430;;450;

leafeon milotic hippodown togekiss and salamence are my favorite sprites as well as pokemon :D

bajuwa

haha nah its not weird. I've definitely broken ties between pokemon by using their sprites. and if I really like one ill essentially make up other reasons to justify having it (even tho the justifications are usually far from convincing on their own)

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I take in acount the sprites... really! the ones when you go to the pokemon menu like this ;373; :)

I only use pokemon with sprites that I like and that are stetical (I know it is a bit weird...)
I love this ones ;373;;470;:508:;350;;468;;227;;282;;260;;430;;450;

leafeon milotic hippodown togekiss and salamence are my favorite sprites as well as pokemon :D

Are you liking the new menu sprites so far? Some are kinda hit or miss for me. But I agree with that, haha.

I've always tried to play competitively and never got the guts to do so. Only in game teams apply to me, then, so I guess I'm mostly on a "use Pokemon I like and whose designs are good" sort of deal... but there's some with great designs that I still can't use (like Ledian).

Xionea

Half a centaur
I choose for pure visuals. I don't care about stats or anything. If a Pokemon I happen to like has bad stats, then it just makes the game more challenging, which I enjoy :)