• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think a "Pokémon Master" really is?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Can't we just agree that made-up title actually just translates to "adventurer."
Ash introducing himself: "Hi, I'm Ash from Pallet town, and I want to become an Adventurer"...I don't know, it doesn't sound cool as an introduction.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ash introducing himself: "Hi, I'm Ash from Pallet town, and I want to become an Adventurer"...I don't know, it doesn't sound cool as an introduction.
Wouldn't he already be one?

Vini310

For me, being a Pokémon Master was never about winning tournaments, because it makes no sense at all! How winning a regional league makes you a "Pokémon Master" when one could simply use the only 6 Pokémon obtained during the journey to win?
A Pokémon Master is someone who understands Pokémon, it does not necessarily means cathcing evey single Pokémon (which is impossible in the anime anyway), but understanding how they live, their strenghs and weaknesses, to the point where, just by looking at a Pokémon, you can tell the strategy he is going to use.
Characters like Professor Oak are Pokémon Masters to me, because beyond catchig Pokémon or making them battle each other, they STUDY them. Oak even created the Pokédex.

DatsRight

Ash I could argue does show promise of that since there are times he shows an erudite understanding of how his Pokemon think and work. He knew straight off what Froakie and Poipole's frustrations were when they started acting up, and he's probably one of the few trainers to actually bring up the idea that Pokemon are people with backgrounds and families they may not wish to be separated from.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Adventurer doesn't even make much sense nor fit into being a Pokémon Master anyway. Pokémon Trainers travel the world and leave home already, thus technically making them "adventurers" since they're having adventures but what does Pokémon Master set apart from "Adventurer" or "Pokemon Trainer" if that was what you think it means? Like I said, given Ash's background and early relationships growing up, he evolved his definition of what it meant to be a Pokémon Master by studying Pokémon. Even his childhood friend and rival Gary, a person who had a lot to live up to his grandfather's legacy, learned what he wanted to do during his journey and that was being a Pokémon Professor. Ash started out only just playing with Pokémon, watching people battle, and a love for Pokémon when he was younger only to later elaborate more on this dream through his experiences in his journey. Bonds help to learn and understand Pokémon as well as the science behind them that influence their types, nature, and environment.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I think there are quite a few factors to consider when it comes to defining what makes a Trainer a Pokémon Master.

• One must be an incredibly strong Trainer. This much is evident, or else there would be little reason for Ash to compete in regional leagues (other than for the experience). Additionally, Ash himself stated that becoming a Champion Master is one step toward becoming a Pokémon Master (though whether that means becoming a Champion Master is a prerequisite or merely one means to an end is up for debate, I suppose).
  • One must form strong bonds with Pokémon, especially his/her own Pokémon—something most Champions are shown to have done, and I think Ash has already met this criteria. Being a strong Trainer is one thing, but really having a strong bond with your own Pokémon is something else entirely.
  • One must have knowledge and/or a deep understanding of many types and species of Pokémon. The easiest way to do this, of course, is to travel to different regions and meet all sorts of Pokémon, and get to know and learn about them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've always assumed that winning an official regional League tournament was a requirement for becoming a Pokemon Master, as well as being a consistently strong battler who rarely loses.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I think there are quite a few factors to consider when it comes to defining what makes a Trainer a Pokémon Master.

• One must be an incredibly strong Trainer. This much is evident, or else there would be little reason for Ash to compete in regional leagues (other than for the experience). Additionally, Ash himself stated that becoming a Champion Master is one step toward becoming a Pokémon Master (though whether that means becoming a Champion Master is a prerequisite or merely one means to an end is up for debate, I suppose).
  • One must form strong bonds with Pokémon, especially his/her own Pokémon—something most Champions are shown to have done, and I think Ash has already met this criteria. Being a strong Trainer is one thing, but really having a strong bond with your own Pokémon is something else entirely.
  • One must have knowledge and/or a deep understanding of many types and species of Pokémon. The easiest way to do this, of course, is to travel to different regions and meet all sorts of Pokémon, and get to know and learn about them.
This is a good way to summarize "Pokémon Master" based on what we've been shown and told.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I thought "I Choose you" addressed that but it seems like it was still something "vague"

I mostly agree with you, especially since in “I Choose You,” Ash outright states that he battles in order to make friends with Pokémon. Whether that applies to the regular-universe Ash can’t be said for sure, but given the way he goes about training and battling, I think it’s very likely he feels the same way.

I think it's for sure. I mean, they are the same character after all. Their only difference being they had some differences on their live experiences. Not to mention M20!Ash is more independent than Prime!Ash.

This is something I think kinda rings well with how Ash was originally set out, since he was implied to be something of an outcast and a 'loser' in Kanto's harsh community before becoming a trainer, hoping becoming a Master would give him some prestige and approval.

So... naruto has copied us? SHAME ON YOU KISHINOMOTO!

:p

NanoMoltres

Becoming the champion of every region, catching and befriending every known species of Pokemon and simply being the best like no one ever was.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Becoming the champion of every region, catching and befriending every known species of Pokemon and simply being the best like no one ever was.

Realistically, no one could (or would) catch every known species of Pokémon, so that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Rohanator

The definition given in movie 20 (or maybe only the Yuyama interview, I forget) makes the most sense at this point, especially with the anime's current direction. AKA just meeting all the Pokemon. It's vague but a perfect drive for a show about traveling and exploring new places and people, and how Pokemon are integrated into normal life, which is what both the original series and SM emphasize over battles.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Rohanator said:
The definition given in movie 20 (or maybe only the Yuyama interview, I forget) makes the most sense at this point, especially with the anime's current direction. AKA just meeting all the Pokemon. It's vague but a perfect drive for a show about traveling and exploring new places and people, and how Pokemon are integrated into normal life, which is what both the original series and SM emphasize over battles.

In that case, Satoshi's goal is impossible since he can't meet every single species of Pokemon. Porygon2 and Porygon-Z in particular are the biggest obstacles in his pursuit of becoming a Pokemon Master by this definition.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

Your kind of wrong on some points actually. Giovanni, by game and manga-logic, can be considered a Pokemon Master. He may have strong bonds with his personal selection of ground-type Pokemon but he may not have the deep understanding. In fact, in the manga especially, he has a very strong understanding what helps determines who is a good and who is a bad trainer and he's quite masterful at battling, even easily beating and outsmarting Lance of the Elite Four.

Pokemon Master, that's a very vague term. I'd say that is simply an expert Pokemon trainer who has become masterfully strong with his Pokemon, now you have to ask yourself? How do you get strong with your Pokemon and from that question, you will get multiple answers. Through Red's way, it is like you said forming strong bonds and having a deep understanding with Pokemon. Through Giovanni's way, it is using Pokemon as nothing more than tools to accomplish their victories however the trainer itself must also become strong in order to command those tools efficiently. You get what I'm saying, there's no real clear answer to that. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that there are multiple ways and that deep understanding of Pokemon isn't necessarily one of them, just an effective one.

As for Ash's case. I'd say he's already Pokemon Master, he just isn't Pokemon Champion. Heck I bet most of the people's definitions here that doesn't revolve around Champion fits Ash well, at least in the XYZ series.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I always thought that you had to become a Regional Champion (in my head canon, you would become a Regional Champion by being invited to challenge the Elite 4 by either being hand-picked for your skills if you build up a following or you could win a League. Then you would beat the Elite 4 and then go onto the Champion like you do in that games) and then catch every Pokemon (Excluding Legendary's and Mythicals). Then you would have to fight a current Pokemon Master in order to win the title (you could challenge the Master as many times as you would like).

Now that I think about it, it sounds really stupid haha.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I always thought that you had to become a Regional Champion (in my head canon, you would become a Regional Champion by being invited to challenge the Elite 4 by either being hand-picked for your skills if you build up a following or you could win a League. Then you would beat the Elite 4 and then go onto the Champion like you do in that games) and then catch every Pokemon (Excluding Legendary's and Mythicals). Then you would have to fight a current Pokemon Master in order to win the title (you could challenge the Master as many times as you would like).

Now that I think about it, it sounds really stupid haha.
During the Brawl era of SSB, my friends and I had an equally silly tier system which involved criteria that you had to win a stock battle, deal more damage than you received during said battle, and have beaten at least one other Master during said battle in order to say that you had "Mastered" a certain character. And we maintained this tier list of which of us had mastered which characters. haha

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
A Pokémon Master is the journey, the motive, the spirit that keeps us moving forward. It's not really much of an endgame or goal. In fact, if there was a physical goal, then you'll have no reason to always be your best once you've reached it. People like Goku, Luffy and Ash loves the adventure to become stronger and better at their careers. The adventure itself is its own reward, and they all secretly wish to find someone better than them... so they can strive harder to beat them in the future. Goku never will rest so long as he knows there's a opponent stronger than him. Luffy won't retire if he can find worthy rivals to the Pirate King title. And Ash or Red? Do you honestly think they would just sit down and retire at some Gym after winning a League (Orange League for Ash in that case)?

In any case, these lyrics of Aim to Be A Pokémon Master may give hints as to what a Pokémon Master goal is:

Racking up wins with the moves we've trained
Making friends, and then off to the next city

Always and forever doing well
Though there's no guarantee of that... (That's true!)
Forever and always, I'll live true
Because they're here

I can guarantee you, even if Ash is the greatest and strongest trainer of the entire world (or dare I say universe), he still won't consider himself to be a Pokémon Master yet.

Genaller

Silver Soul
A Pokémon Master is the journey, the motive, the spirit that keeps us moving forward. It's not really much of an endgame or goal. In fact, if there was a physical goal, then you'll have no reason to always be your best once you've reached it. People like Goku, Luffy and Ash loves the adventure to become stronger and better at their careers. The adventure itself is its own reward, and they all secretly wish to find someone better than them... so they can strive harder to beat them in the future. Goku never will rest so long as he knows there's a opponent stronger than him. Luffy won't retire if he can find worthy rivals to the Pirate King title. And Ash or Red? Do you honestly think they would just sit down and retire at some Gym after winning a League (Orange League for Ash in that case)?

In any case, these lyrics of Aim to Be A Pokémon Master may give hints as to what a Pokémon Master goal is:

Racking up wins with the moves we've trained
Making friends, and then off to the next city

Always and forever doing well
Though there's no guarantee of that... (That's true!)
Forever and always, I'll live true
Because they're here

I can guarantee you, even if Ash is the greatest and strongest trainer of the entire world (or dare I say universe), he still won't consider himself to be a Pokémon Master yet.
That’s an interesting take; however, “Pokémon Master” is explicitly mentioned to be a title in the same manner as “Champion Master” is a title meaning (at least in-universe) there is an objective metric for determining whether a given person is or isn’t a “Pokémon Master”. Though given my own speculations on the matter, I’m not sure how people in the anime would go about measuring how ‘connected’ someone is with Pokémon.