• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think a "Pokémon Master" really is?

Bahmo

It's a cynical thread, so what the Hell: A Pokemon master is a trainer who captures enough gods to conquer the world, and does so.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Apslup said:
I always thought that you had to become a Regional Champion (in my head canon, you would become a Regional Champion by being invited to challenge the Elite 4 by either being hand-picked for your skills if you build up a following or you could win a League. Then you would beat the Elite 4 and then go onto the Champion like you do in that games) and then catch every Pokemon (Excluding Legendary's and Mythicals). Then you would have to fight a current Pokemon Master in order to win the title (you could challenge the Master as many times as you would like).

Now that I think about it, it sounds really stupid haha.

It sounds complicated, but reasonable if the series had kept a constant pace of development these past twenty years. I think Satoshi could've done most of this had the writers tried hard from the start.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
It sounds complicated, but reasonable if the series had kept a constant pace of development these past twenty years. I think Satoshi could've done most of this had the writers tried hard from the start.

I dunno; as I’ve said, catching every single Pokémon seems like a stretch to me. It really doesn’t sound that practical to have over 800 Pokémon. Then they’d be more like collectibles than partners.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It really doesn’t sound that practical to have over 800 Pokémon. Then they’d be more like collectibles than partners.
Kinda like the friends count on Facebook right?

Having thought about this question for a while, I think a Pokemon Master is basically just someone, who is very knowledgable in the world of pokemon, doesn't necessarily have to have a ton of pokemon, maybe doesn't even have to be a trainer but someone who knows and understands pokemon to the best of their abilities.

With over 800+ pokemon, a pokemon master does not have to "catch them all".

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Having thought about this question for a while, I think a Pokemon Master is basically just someone, who is very knowledgable in the world of pokemon, doesn't necessarily have to have a ton of pokemon, maybe doesn't even have to be a trainer but someone who knows and understands pokemon to the best of their abilities.

With over 800+ pokemon, a pokemon master does not have to "catch them all".
So that means... Prof. Elm is a Pokemon Master!

Pokemon Announcer - "Things get heated up as the new challenger and his Typhlosion arrives to challenge Pokemon Champion Elm and his fiesty Totodile. Uh-oh! It looks like Totodile uses Bite! On Prof. Elm!"

Leonhart

Imagineer
FlygontheRavager said:
I dunno; as I’ve said, catching every single Pokémon seems like a stretch to me. It really doesn’t sound that practical to have over 800 Pokémon.

Maybe not so practical now, but it could've worked in Kanto at least. If Red could do it in his 4 episodes, so could Satoshi in 80.

Then they’d be more like collectibles than partners.

Well, that about sums up Satoshi's 40 or so Pokemon at Okido-hakase's lab.

buskalilly

I think trying to answer this question at all kind of shows one of the big East/ West divides.

Look at Karate, for example. The modern idea of codified exams and colour-coded belts was introduced to appeal to Western sensiblities. Before that, there were two belts: white and black. You want a black belt? Live with the master and learn from him holistically.

In a way, I think everyone so far has been right, and noone has. You're a Pokemon Master when people look at you and say "that person really gets Pokemon. They're a Pokemon master."

Is winning at battles part of it? Sure. Is meeting and catching lots of different Pokemon? Probably. Is understanding and befriending them and having lots of knowledge? Definitely.

Maybe @Shadao was the closest so far when they said its all about the journey. I think you could even argue Ash already is a Pokemon master. Look at him interacting with even Legendary monsters and reaching understanding and friendship with them. I think that is some masterful Pokemonning.

Leonhart

Imagineer
buskalilly said:
I think you could even argue Ash already is a Pokemon master.

I don't agree, otherwise he'd have no reason to still be trying so hard in recent sagas. He has accomplishments, but that doesn't mean he's hit his peak yet.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't agree, otherwise he'd have no reason to still be trying so hard in recent sagas. He has accomplishments, but that doesn't mean he's hit his peak yet.
And I think @buskalilly would argue that being a master doesn't mean one has reached his or her peak. Consider Jedi Masters for example. They continue to train and strive to be better, and there's always a worthier opponent, even after being promoted to the rank of Master.