• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about EVs/IVs

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer
I don't mind natures, Ev training or breeding but I hate IVs. I just see them as unneeded details which take forever to perfect. I'd love to see them disappear in 6th gen and replaced by a simpler easy mechanic.

Personally, I think they shouldn't have been made. I like Pokemon because of its straight forward battling, not because of HARDCORE training, killing time by looking for rare Pokemon just to kill them for their EV and stuff. It was fine when it was just battling and getting Exp.

What do you think of EVs?

I like to EV train my competitive 'mons, it was terrible to control in 4th gen but with the support of wings (among other new mechanics) in 5th gen, it is so much easier to get the nooks and crannies so you don't end with having to make due with 255/255 EV spreads. IVs are rather pivotal, but you don't need flawless/near-flawless spreads to win, a 'mon with an overall IV total that the Subway judge would claim as "relatively superior overall" or "outstanding overall" can hold itself with RNGed flawless 'mons.

(Fun fact: When breeding with flawless parents, you can count on obtaining a few boxes of "outstanding" 'mons before hatching your desired shiny - even with the shiny charm and Masuda Method.)

Last edited:

xXCobalionXx

Cobalion. Yeah.
I think that EV's are fine, but the IV's are ridiculous. Gotta go around looking for HOURS for something good...
I like EV's because that actually adds somewhat of a twist to the games. Instead of going on my merry day, I can actually train my Pokemon how I want them.

Ninfia-Fan

IVs are just confusing, and I believe they are just a waste of time, though I am not that much of a competitive battler.

EVs, however, I do take into effect, especially when considering move sets for pokemon. I don't really care for a Pokemon's stat disrtibution, because I train them all equally.

I think I got them right....

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm not a competitive player, but I really enjoy the EV and IV aspects of breeding, raising and searching for pokemon. I've never gotten into RNG manipulating and probably never will, but EVs and IVs I understand and wouldn't like these games post story nearly as much as I do if they didn't exist.

Grumpy Drizzle

There's nothing rewarding about IV breeding when you know that everyone can get a flawless Pokemon almost effortlessly with the RNG abuse. And to add insult to injury, also make it shiny.
I'm hoping IVs will be fixed in the future games by giving normal players better ways of controling and improving them. GF has already taken measures to make RNG abuse harder in B2/W2 so it's very likely it will be gone for good in X/Y.

DjangoCribbs

I don't get most player's gripes with them.
If you don't care for them then... Don't. I only learned about them when I discovered this site, during the D/P/Pt gen. So I'd done multiple playthroughs of Blue, Yellow, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire and Emerald without any knowledge of such things. It doesn't really affect the experience.
Now that I know about them I structure my training from the word "go" around EVs, beginning with my starter. When 'Mon reach Lvl25 I use the IV calculator to get an idea of how they're going to grow, this helps me modify their EV requirement and decide whether or not they'll remain top-tier fighters or if they're gonna get bumped down to second/third-tier. Those 'Mon still get used but they won't be in an E4 team or visit the Battle Frontier. But it makes the world feel a bit more real, helps me bond more "personally" with my 'Mon and also adds a nice layer of complexity and strategy to the game that elevates Pokémon above your standard RPG. If it didn't have this depth of planning and strategy I'd have likely put the games down for good a long time ago.
Now, my way isn't for everyone. Nor is anyone else's way for me.
But my point is that the existence of EVs and IVs makes the games so much more than their competition, opens up so many more ways of playing for all different tastes/styles. If you don't like 'em, fine. Have nothing to do with them. But don't suggest marring other people's experiences for your own convenience.

Soberheartless

I personally really like the concept of IVs and EVs. First, IVs just make every single Pokemon out there unique. Some will naturally be better at others at certain things. Some will be perfect. Some will be terrible. It's how the real world works, and I love how Pokemon mirrors that. Also, I love how EVs are a way to get around that. If a Pokemon has low IVs, you can still diligently work with its EVS and placing it in the right spots, enabling you to raise a fully strong Pokemon against the odds that Arceus has granted it for its own survival. Also, EV training furthers the belief that you reap what you sow, and I love the reward of a strong trusty Pokemon after putting in some time. It's not that hard too, get Pokerus and a Power Item and you're set :)

epicdrill

There's nothing rewarding about IV breeding when you know that everyone can get a flawless Pokemon almost effortlessly with the RNG abuse. And to add insult to injury, also make it shiny.
I'm hoping IVs will be fixed in the future games by giving normal players better ways of controling and improving them. GF has already taken measures to make RNG abuse harder in B2/W2 so it's very likely it will be gone for good in X/Y.

I doubt it. Whatever measures GF puts in to try and prevent RNG abuse, there will always be someone who successfully hacks around them. As for EV training, I don't do it ingame because, until recently, I couldn't connect to my internet, so it was pointless. Competitive battling they come in VERY useful. I know, I've played simulators. IVs need to be easier to view, at least.

Personally, I don't care much about them. I'm not a competitive battler so I don't really need to. But's it's a nice addition for people who are and enjoy putting up strategies and stuff for their online battles.

I think that EVs are nice and it adds an extra to the game. You can chose to use them or not. In my opinion theyre not that bad. Sometimes I get bored of just battling and I want something extra. The only thing I hate though is the making of RNG being legal AND the IVS. Those thing are just dumb its technically legal cheats...

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
I'm glad they exist. Pokemon is a game about battling and trading, and obviously you want to do that with your friends. (Or random people online, whatever you prefer)

EVs are pretty hard to understand, but once you do it's pretty easy EV training a Pokemon. (I always find it easy, maybe that's just me.)
IVs are very hard to understand. I don't care for them too much, but they make every Pokemon unique, instead of all being the exact same.

I like EV's it isn't forced, but it adds an extra bonus for the people who want to put in the effort.

I don't think extra optional content is a bad thing.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Coming from someone who isn't a full-fledged competitive battler here, I don't care about IVs at all, but EVs are important to me. Really whatever pokemon I use must be EV trained.

Ultimately, I see EVs/IVs to be two of the most important mechanics in the games. (Even though I don't use IVs, but nevertheless still know they're just essential)

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
GF has already taken measures to make RNG abuse harder in B2/W2 so it's very likely it will be gone for good in X/Y.

I would love to see that so much. Seriously, Game Freak must put millions into the production of these games. I think making the games hack and RNG proof would be possible, and a gift for all.

On another note, I do not think that IVs are as difficult to understand as people think. I was just IV breeding a Larvesta. In maybe about an hour or so, I gave it a preferred nature, and 3 perfect IVs, starting with none. I may even write a guide better explaining IVs and all of their aspects.