• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about EVs/IVs

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
EVs and IVs are really just a way to differentiate Pokemon. Without IVs, each Pokemon would be exactly the same. Copy-and-Paste Pokemon would make the game boring. Without EVs... each Pokemon would be exactly the same. Without those, natures would really be the only thing to differentiate Pokemon, and even that wouldn't be by a lot.

Personally, I don't go berserk over EVs or IVs, but I do understand that there are those who want to make their Pokemon the most powerful. Really, all they're doing is maximizing the potential of the Pokemon.

I like it. Before I knew about it, I never worried about it, but since I found out about it in Gen 3, I EV train even ingame, it just feels bad to not do it. But still, I like the possibilities to tweak a Pokemon's stats in the way you want. It's nice to control that process, it's nice to be able to give my Milotic a huge SDef and HP stat if I want, but I also know it goes at cost of its Def. It's interesting to think about how to raise a Pokemon, come up with movesets and fitting EVs, and creating teams with that. It makes the game more complicated, but also so much more deep and interesting for me.

ScarySalamence

Poketopia Master
I believe EVs/IVs diversify Pokémon, and the game wouldn't be the same without them. I despise hackers entirely, as I spend hours getting a poke with egg moves, perfect IVs in at least two or three stats, then train them to 252/252/4 in various stats, adding a more diverse spread if the strategy requires. I don't see why they need to be removed from the game like some of you are saying, though IVs annoy me, that's a bit extreme.... -_-'

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
They are fine I guess, though I really don't have the time or patience to train my Pokemon to have the exact EVs I want. I usually just go with the Pokemon I happen to catch first and build my team from there.

So yes, EVs and IVs are good for differentiating Pokemon from one another and if you want to get yourself the best possible Pokemon out there but I just can't be bothered to do it.

Last edited:

Alli

I love EV training and IV breeding! Sure it takes a lot of time, bit it is very fullfilling when you finally get to use your team competitively or in the PWT or subway! I am currently training my first double battle team to use for competitions and in the subway, an it is very fun!

Matoro

Toa of Ice
I don't have the patience to IV breed. EV training, I can do. However, the mere existence of EV training is a testament to the complexity of Pokémon. As a Pokémon, if you theoretically beat the Pokémon with the highest attack in the game, don't you think you'd learn a thing or two from it. If you were able to take down a blazing fast Pokémon, your speed would in fact be slightly boosted. If you train hard enough and take down a lot of these Pokémon, you are going to become naturally faster, like running races against very fast people. I think it's an interesting idea and really great; however, if you don't have the time or patience to keep track of them, that's okay too. You will slowly see your Pokémon develop into what it beats, i.e., when you do Morty's gym in HGSS, your lead Pokémon comes out with a large boost in Sp. Atk, which when you think about it is somewhat natural. In addition, EV training is what a trainer would do in real life--defeating tons of Pokémon to make theirs stronger. I like it.

IV breeding is a bit different--it takes much more time and it's a little inhumane. However it's exactly what we do to animals-we breed pigs to get the fattest ones, breed horses to get the fastest ones, etc. I personally don't have the time for it, but if you do, fine.

I'm pretty sure they also announced there will be a way for you to view your EVs in gen 6. I kinda wish they made it a much more complicated system so you can't figure out how stat growth works, or blocked the source code so you couldn't see how it worked. But whatever.

McNugget

The Bassist
I like it.
At first I too was very confused on why everyone was excited about "eevee training".

Later on after I started I realized it's really nice! It makes my team feel like
every pokémon has a role. Yes, I still find it very complicated, but I feel like
it's just a nice addition to the game.
To be honest it really only would matter in competitive battling.

But it does feel nice to be able to survive/win online matches.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I don't have the patience to IV breed. EV training, I can do. However, the mere existence of EV training is a testament to the complexity of Pokémon. As a Pokémon, if you theoretically beat the Pokémon with the highest attack in the game, don't you think you'd learn a thing or two from it. If you were able to take down a blazing fast Pokémon, your speed would in fact be slightly boosted. If you train hard enough and take down a lot of these Pokémon, you are going to become naturally faster, like running races against very fast people. I think it's an interesting idea and really great; however, if you don't have the time or patience to keep track of them, that's okay too. You will slowly see your Pokémon develop into what it beats, i.e., when you do Morty's gym in HGSS, your lead Pokémon comes out with a large boost in Sp. Atk, which when you think about it is somewhat natural. In addition, EV training is what a trainer would do in real life--defeating tons of Pokémon to make theirs stronger. I like it.

IV breeding is a bit different--it takes much more time and it's a little inhumane. However it's exactly what we do to animals-we breed pigs to get the fattest ones, breed horses to get the fastest ones, etc. I personally don't have the time for it, but if you do, fine.

I'm pretty sure they also announced there will be a way for you to view your EVs in gen 6. I kinda wish they made it a much more complicated system so you can't figure out how stat growth works, or blocked the source code so you couldn't see how it worked. But whatever.

I couldn't have said it better myself!-(Xcept for the part 'bout EV training, I only do that for the Battle Frontier.)- In fact, you said it so well, that I'm just going to leave that as my response. However, I would like to share a personal experience:

After finding out about it in theory I thought: Man! That's some cool stuff! Pokemon have genes and train like humans? Sweet!

After thinking about it in practice: Must! Get! Perfect! Pokemon! In-Game! And it ruined the games for a while to me, it really did. But then realized that if you wasted your time trying to have a perfect in-game team, you're a sucker! So I went back to grinding and having Modest Totodile with an Attack IV of 0 and using tackle on the Elite Four. (JK, I don't really do that. But still.)

Russell-Bowman

I don't really pay much attention to EV's or IV's, but I am picky about natures on my Pokemon. For example, a nature that reduces special attack on a Pokemon that usually has high special attack or only learns special moves is a big no-no for me, plus I don't like any nature that reduces Defence.

You won't see numbers and Exact amounts of EVs invested. Haha, if we couldn't see how it worked, they'd do us no good.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I still don't know how to do it properly, I still try my best to. I kinda gave up on IVs though.

It's ok, I use to lose a lot of Wi-Fi battles because of it, I don't think they should get rid of it, they're making it more visible in XY anyway I think.

Griever789

Hm I don't mind Ev's though I do wish they put an easier way to rid yourself of then when you screw up.

Iv's however I think are simply something that needs to be replaced or just outright removed. I just always thought it went against the themes of pokemon, that any one of them could be strong if you trained it well, and the idea of breeding hundreds of pokemon and releasing the undesirables does not bring good conatations.

Last edited:

Toxicity

Toxic to the touch
Never was a fan of IVs for the tedious breeding they require. EVs are fine because you're still battling for the stats and they don't take too much time if you know what you're doing.

I wouldn't mind IVs being removed at all. The variety they bring is minimal, natures and abilities already do a fine job of adding individuality to Pokemon (and EVs add it to trained Pokemon), and they're just boring to work with. Plus, what does it matter if they give Pokemon variety when everybody's still aiming to get full IVs so that they have the exact same Pokemon? I don't care if they're "realistic", we're talking about a game here.

Last edited:

Rakansen

ラルフ
I really like EVs, because it gives a Pokémon an infinite amount of possible strategies, you can choose whether to make a Pokémon run different kinds of sets. With EVs, you can have Scrafty play as a defensive Pokémon or a sweeper.

IVs, on the other hand, are a little too much. Sure, they make different Pokémon unique, but it practically is is just mathematics. Not to mention, they promote cheating, which is looked down upon.

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
I like EVs because they add a layer of customization to your Pokemon.

When it comes to IVs... this mechanic can be a pain in the you know what. I wouldn't care as much if they allowed you to fit in "missing" IVs in wild caught Pokemon with extra EVs since we all want Pokemon that are at the top of their game. Also it would be nice if they'd let us choose both the type and power of the move; hidden power since so many Pokemon rely on a specific type and power for this move on their move set.

Outburstz

I like them both because it separates the serious trainers from the casuals. If you want to be the best you got to put in the work. That is what the Evs, IVs, natures, items, and abilities are for. Pokémon is great because you can play causally or serious that choice shouldn't be taken away ever.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I like the concept of EVs because they distinguish who is a good trainer and who is not. It's like working out in real life. If you want to have good biceps, you have to do exercises that focus on that such as curling weights. I don't consider it good training if you just randomly kill everything and just aim to grind experience. In the game we are Pokémon trainers and I like that EVs put emphasis on training.

EVs also allow Pokémon to be used in more than one way as they can specialize in different things such as either being an all-out attack or a bulky tank. It makes Pokémon more unique.

I also like IVs because it also essentially makes each Pokémon unique. The whole passing down IVs is a pretty cool idea as it relates to real world genetics.

killing time by looking for rare Pokemon

I don't believe this was ever the case. You can search up "EV training hotspots" for all the games online.

It was fine when it was just battling and getting Exp.

When was this? EVs and IVs existed since Gen 1.

Last edited:

Black War Dragon

Dark Knight
I think they're terrible. Ignorance is bliss. Keep the games simple.

You don't need to have a perfect pokemon to beat the game, but you don't need a level 100 pokemon either. Competitively they're much more important though.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
i usually ignore them and just play for the sake of playing