• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about PC culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

You complain frequently about twisting narratives and trying to make things make sense logically but I don't believe I'm equating the notions of holding people responsible for offensive and insensitive actions and public statements (within the boundaries of the law), and penalizing them criminally, or... subjecting them to drone strikes...?

Poke Trainer J

You complain frequently about twisting narratives and trying to make things make sense logically but I don't believe I'm equating the notions of holding people responsible for offensive and insensitive actions and public statements (within the boundaries of the law), and penalizing them criminally, or... subjecting them to drone strikes...?
I'm not saying that it is the notion when it feels like that's the current direction law enforcement is heading toward more along the lines of a "thought police". Even someone's internet history can be used against them If they're not careful. The drone strike example I gave was one of those worst case scenario situations If law enforcement gets out of control in the happenstance that artificial intelligence surpasses mankind which is something we shouldn't be worried about for right now or in the foreseeable near future at least.

It seems like everyday journalists are looking for new things to declare as being evil in order to get peoples attention to make them feel miserable about themselves when it's nothing but virtue signaling to the 'woke' crowd similar to how the mainstream news media scares the bejesus out of it's viewers for attention instead of being honest because they make more TV ratings off of negativity than positivity. It's very deceitful to those who just want the truth instead of being told lies that only adds more fear and anxiety during times of crisis like we're in right now when people are desperate for real leadership and cooperation.

BCVM22

Of all the directions in which law enforcement is heading at this critical juncture in history, I cannot for a second say that my concern is that they might be used as "thought police" in the way you seem to fear. What does someone have in their Internet history that might reflect that poorly upon them and why isn't the concern for that, rather than for what the consequences might be?

I agree that clickbait and inaccurate headlines are a creeping problem, at a time when misinformation is also increasingly rampant, but once again I'd also argue that's a different discussion entirely. Ultimately, my question is this: why do we (you, not me) seem to be more concerned with people facing consequences for their actions, and not with their actions in the first place? Why are we (you) more concerned with "cancel culture" than we are concerned with their actions that warrant criticism in the first place?

Poke Trainer J

To try to answer your question it's because we're ALL human who're prone to make mistakes from time to time that deserve a second chance or to at least try to turn a new leaf If you will. As for "cancel culture" I think it ultimately leads to more karma coming back to bite those who've hurt certain people unjustly compared to those who blatantly admit fault where you know they're actually guilty for something they've done. We use to use escapism as a tool to run away from the harshness of reality where as now the two are converging to the point where we're no longer stuck in this bubble that we felt comfortable in due to the ongoing pandemic. I think that's what's been creating a lot of these problems we see that no longer fit within the new social norms of our society and the people who are fighting against it are in denial with themselves desperate to try to separate reality from fiction when they probably need to be one.

It's less about getting lost in escapism when it's got more to do with owning up to our problems in society and what kind of example we're setting for our kids and the next generation. Sometimes it's hard to let go of that when we allow nostalgia in pop culture to get in the way of how we tend to view things that in a lot of ways no longer serves us like it did during our childhood up to our young adulthood. It's hard to let go of because it makes us feel good even If it's found offensive to other people as it's something that we probably take for granted far too much. An example of this is how the Confederacy during the American Civil War of 1855 gave certain white people a sense of pride as opposed to oppression for black people due to slavery. What may seem good for someone isn't good for someone else. Racism is America's original sin for a good reason.

BCVM22

Seems to me a great way to own up to our problems and set an example is... not do terrible things? Still so much concern for second chances and avoiding consequences and so little concern for not doing or saying stupid or hateful things in the first place.

I’m sorry that there seem to be fewer second chances being handed out (which I don’t think is the case at all, most public figures seem to have no major issues overcoming their first, their second, or even their third major transgressions, especially to their most devout followers). But that’s a consequence of being more aware of what’s no longer appropriate or palatable now. It’s very easy to not be racist. It’s very easy to not be sexist or homophobic. These are not unavoidable puddles in which one must step. There is not - or shouldn’t be - reasonable latitude in these tasks, wherein someone has room to say “look, I’m allowed to be a little bit racist as long as I’m not a lot racist!” To be hateful is not a right nor is it a reasonable demand. And if one is genuinely trying to avoid doing or being these things but still genuinely believes it’s too difficult to avoid the pitfalls (“look, I tried to not be a homophobe, but it was just too difficult to not be homophobic!”), there are any number of individuals belonging to minority, oppressed, or underrepresented demographics who are willing to consult and tell someone what to avoid. That’s known as putting in the work. And if someone is not willing to do any of that, why does the onus fall on the rest of the world to be willing to allow it?

You can only be made aware repeatedly of what easily avoidable mistakes not to make before you’re going to face consequences for still choosing to make those mistakes.

Poke Trainer J

I tried to answer your question to the best of my ability though I thought too deeply within my subconscious trying to explain why we're stuck in this situation in the first place. I think the core of the message that I was getting at is nobody wants to be policed by other people just for having differing opinions that normally wouldn't be deemed offensive. If we're unable to make fun of ourselves in light of our own problems then how does that make us more human than someone who lacks humility?

Why do you think political correctness is the number one killer of comedians who just want to make people feel good to cope with their depression issues? I think Dave Chappelle brought this problem to light more than most comedians because he understood the problem with Political Correctness / Woke Culture as he experienced it for himself and conveyed it in a way that was relatable toward other people regardless of their ideology and that might of been a gift that George Carlin had on people as well. They both had the power to connect people through stand-up comedy.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I can’t think of any comedian who had their career ruined that wasn’t bad in the first place, or just realized there’s more money to be made being the 20th person with a special on Netflix called Triggered.

Good comedy at its base requires empathy, and if you’re punching down for no reason you’re doing it wrong. Plus the whole Dave Chapelle thing was telling a bad trans bit in an otherwise good special, to where it’s almost just plain criticism.

Also George Carlin was very open and vocal about how angry white men used their status to oppress others just due to being in a position of power, so he’s a bad example to use there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poke Trainer J

I can’t think of any comedian who had their career ruined that wasn’t bad in the first place, or just realized there’s more money to be made being the 20th person with a special on Netflix called Triggered.

Good comedy at its base requires empathy, and if you’re punching down for no reason you’re doing it wrong. Plus the whole Dave Chapelle thing was telling a bad trans bit in an otherwise good special, to where it’s almost just plain criticism.

Also George Carlin was very open and vocal about how angry white men used their status to oppress others just due to being in a position of power, so he’s a bad example to use there.
Kinda reminds me of a famous movie quote by Rorschach in Watchmen (2009):

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

-- Rorschach

TwilightBlade

I don't hate PC culture on most occasions but I do hate some of the hypocrisy that comes with it. For instance recently a BLM activist was fired from her job for saying on TikTok that she'd stab anyone who says that all lives matter yet there are a lot of people rushing to her defense saying that what she said wasn't really a threat and that her punishment is too extreme.

But I feel that she got what she deserves for being stupid enough to say something like that on social media. It just bugs me that there are people who would find excuses for her even though those same people would be infuriated if the situation had been reversed and someone who is anti-BLM had threatened to stab BLM supporters. :[

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
While it’s dumb to post your face with a lot of stuff seeing as the police will track you down and kill you in some cases, I do think a lot of people make the mistake in thinking there is a middle ground and that both sides are equally right. You have to look at what each side supports and what it means just as much, and a lot of people don’t want to do it because it’s uncomfortable

Poke Trainer J

I guess while we're on the subject of comedians, at least there's one with Jim Carrey who gets the problem with Politically Correct / Woke Culture in regards to Social Media on Facebook and Twitter:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Now I hate Jim Carrey even more...bbut whay did I expect from an Anti-vaxxer apologist/bothsideser.

Common courtesy towards all people should not be up for debate.

Vernikova

Champion
I feel that PC culture has always existed. It's just that the culture being pushed was different than it is today. I think people are a bit too sensitive about some matters, and there should be a middle ground when it comes to reactions to things that most people found okay just a few years ago. I'm sure that some people here, including those that are now immersing themselves more in "cancel culture," would be "cancelled" if their posts from ten years ago would be made public.

keepitsimple

site of lies
It's sad that nobody can speak truth about something nowadays without someone else getting triggered by it. If you're going to look at what the Mainstream Media says then go look at the OTHER SIDE of what the Mainstream Media says. If you're someone whose ignorant then you're not going to be able to look at what the other side has to say. An ignorant person only looks at one side of things. If one of your family members was in the hospital after a car accident and the doctor recommended they do a certain thing but they won't be able to see their family again would you want a second opinion from another doctor or talk to the nurse? You don't really know until you look at the contrast of things in life.

If you're that easy of a person to easily take the bait on any given situation whose not willing to look at the other side of anything and declare it the truth then you're not a truth bringer. You don't know the truth until you hear the defense and you hear from the plaintiff like in a court of law. Why do you care about the opinion of other people and what their values / belief systems are about what you do and what your truth is? Why do you care so much? There's no reason to care because what is it going to do for you? All it does is make you look like a sheep based upon what other peoples' viewpoints are of you and other peoples' values against you. So instead of being a lion you continue to be a sheep by living in their truth instead of your own.

Also THIS:

Screenshot_1-19.png

Screenshot_3-20.png

Screenshot_4-20.png
9bea00131d150ad9769a3bafe8020a10--extinct-animals-prehistoric-animals.jpg

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
It's sad that nobody can speak truth about something nowadays without someone else getting triggered by it. If you're going to look at what the Mainstream Media says then go look at the OTHER SIDE of what the Mainstream Media says. If you're someone whose ignorant then you're not going to be able to look at what the other side has to say. An ignorant person only looks at one side of things. If one of your family members was in the hospital after a car accident and the doctor recommended they do a certain thing but they won't be able to see their family again would you want a second opinion from another doctor or talk to the nurse? You don't really know until you look at the contrast of things in life.

If you're that easy of a person to easily take the bait on any given situation whose not willing to look at the other side of anything and declare it the truth then you're not a truth bringer. You don't know the truth until you hear the defense and you hear from the plaintiff like in a court of law. Why do you care about the opinion of other people and what their values / belief systems are about what you do and what your truth is? Why do you care so much? There's no reason to care because what is it going to do for you? All it does is make you look like a sheep based upon what other peoples' viewpoints are of you and other peoples' values against you. So instead of being a lion you continue to be a sheep by living in their truth instead of your own.

Also THIS:

Screenshot_1-19.png
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Your hospital metaphor makes no sense. You misspelled who's as whose both times. I don't know that comic is analogous to.

BCVM22

That comic is the distorted view of a crazy, sad individual disconnected from all reality who has otherwise convinced themselves that forcibly making a pariah of yourself by ranting nonsensically is actually some sort of noble goal, and I'm not sure why you felt posting it would somehow help your point, whatever you intended it to be.

Continually ranting about "seeing both sides" does not and will not actually invent a second side to see on matters where there otherwise is none.

Status
Not open for further replies.