• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about PC culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Generally it's about tone and the meaning behind things too, because context matters. A TV show making jokes about gay people while supporting it is different than a tv show making gay jokes when someone really doesn't like them.

It's less don't tell the jokes and more don't use the platform to spread negative and false things about groups of people.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually find some gay jokes hilarious. As long as it’s in good fun and not making being gay something to be disgusted by, I don’t mind if a sitcom makes a joke here and there about gays. The LGBTQ community has a sense of humor too and we can enjoy laughing at ridiculous stereotypes every now and again. The Big Bang Theory did it well with Raj coming off as being gay and the other characters question it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think it depends on the joke being made and how offensive/stereotypical it is. For example a lot people found Apu from the Simpsons offensive (I personally never got into the series) but it's one thing to make a witty joke and another to make jokes based on pure stenotypes and purely making a mockery out of someones heritage/traits.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Pc CuLtUrE gOnE mAd YoU gUyS

Political correctness isn't a boogeywoman or a conspiracy made of a secret board of shadowy figures comprised of journalists, Youtubers and bloggers.

It's BASIC HUMAN DECENCY.

Do NOT give credence to anyone who tells you otherwise. They're probably afraid of change, and that the PC people will take something from them because it's not PC...AT MOST a warning label or a context warning before the thing.

NO ONE is going to take your things or censor it. Just contextualize it.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
This isn't the government mate, Freedom of speech only applies to the government taking it from you. And if you're being rude, mods can and will use their powers, This isn't 4chan or Reddit.

bobjr

Staff member
I'm trying to think of shows that heavily censor stuff to not offend people, but I'm a big fan of shows like Bojack, Rick and Morty (Granted this has a terrible fanbase), and stuff like The Boys, which are not afraid to go and make a joke. Then you'll have someone who really doesn't like trans people, and gets mad when they get told that's wrong.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I find it rather ironic that living in such a PC culture has caused more conflicts and controversy than not having PC ever existing would. Instead of bringing people closer together and have a better understanding of each other we keep demanding on PC to the point that everyone is on edge and ready to snap if someone does something that offends them. Avenue Q was right. If we’d all stop “being so PC then maybe we could live in harmony.”

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I find it rather ironic that living in such a PC culture has caused more conflicts and controversy than not having PC ever existing would. Instead of bringing people closer together and have a better understanding of each other we keep demanding on PC to the point that everyone is on edge and ready to snap if someone does something that offends them. Avenue Q was right. If we’d all stop “being so PC then maybe we could live in harmony.”

This is probably the best statement I've read about political correctness in awhile. And yeah, it's pretty much as you say. One wonders how long it will be before political correctness causes a war.

bobjr

Staff member

My opinion is that Avenue Q has aged really weirdly, to the extent that it almost feels stuck in the early 00's, but like how context matters, the plot is a bunch of diverse people living together and sharing their experiences. Most of the time someone gets mad about "PC Culture", its because they can't complain about a group of people and want to live in a bubble.

I think it's because social media has expanded so fast in the past decade, where different cultures and lifestyles are more visible and it is harder and harder to avoid. Think about how some people want things to go back to the 60's and stuff, where they believe one way of life is best, when if you actually go back to that time these people still existed, they were just "The other"

FullFathomsFive

When wokist Sarah Silverman is fired for portraying a racist character over a decade a go, it's safe to say that the Revolution has a craving for its own children.

bobjr

Staff member
The woke act of doing blackface

Don’t get me wrong, Hollywood jumps to conclusions too fast in some ways, while celebrating people like Roman Polanski, but you’re being a little disingenuous in describing it like that when it was her doing blackface on her own tv show, when anyone from that time knew you really need to be careful with that stuff

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
The woke act of doing blackface

Don’t get me wrong, Hollywood jumps to conclusions too fast in some ways, while celebrating people like Roman Polanski, but you’re being a little disingenuous in describing it like that when it was her doing blackface on her own tv show, when anyone from that time knew you really need to be careful with that stuff
Hey bobjr! It's good to recognize someone. People knew 10 years ago that blackface was racist. Someone in this topic thought that homophobic slurs didn't exist 10 years ago. That's silly. They also bypassed the censors to say it.

FullFathomsFive

People knew 10 years ago that blackface was racist.

Yes, that's how you knew the character was racist in the show.

I'm not going to insult people's intelligence by suggesting they also want actors who portray Nazis and similar characters to be Cancelled, but there's some heavy cognitive dissonance that creates a gap between the two situations.

bobjr

Staff member
Blackface is one of those things that hasn’t been acceptable for nearly a century, so if someone wanted to jump on that grenade that’s gonna carry a cost.

Especially if people behind the movie were people of color themselves. They aren’t obligated to forgive her, and while that episode has been scrubbed from the internet it’s not like she’s been blacklisted.

Sham

The Guardian of War
When wokist Sarah Silverman is fired for portraying a racist character over a decade a go, it's safe to say that the Revolution has a craving for its own children.
Being “woke” doesn’t get you a get of jail free card. Countless of media has been aware a good amount of people on the left (liberals) are racist themselves. I suggest you watch Get Out.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
PC culture is better than Mac culture.... $999 for a monitor stand!!!!

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Being “woke” doesn’t get you a get of jail free card. Countless of media has been aware a good amount of people on the left (liberals) are racist themselves. I suggest you watch Get Out.
Doug Walker(Nostalgia Critic), Brad Jones(Cinema Snob), and Bill Maher, to name a few.

It's almost like being for aspects of certain things doesn't make you exempt from human flaws.

But being PC isn't the problem in and of itself:It's poor public perception of such fueled by manipulation by MOSTLY unscrupulous businesspeople, old money, politicians, media personalities, religious fanatics and/or other hatemongering-based profiteers panicking over losing attention, money and power(With few but notable exceptions)...but respecting race, gender, sex, ethnicity, economic class, religion and lifestyle as equals, giving workers negotiating power, checking privileges, and not telling others who they are, should be a minimum human decency level.

If you can't or won't push marketing to anybody that isn't cishet(dominant race and religion here), how can you have power over them via addiction, rationalization, forced necessity or corruption? You can't/won't, therefore it must be dismissed, mocked, fought, broken and/or DISPOSED OF.

Check your privledge before you wreck yourselves and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.