• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about PC culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You could probably use the term lady.

Think of a young lady versus an old lady.

WalesNote

There's nothing off or odd or whatever about using the word female. You do know what female is and what it means, right?

Geez, now such garbage is very snowflake-like.

But it doesn't matter. The world changes all the time and these things happen. It can help us learn things, so it's not bad or anything when you think of it like that.
Of course, there are many who are afraid of the truth and seek to avoid it, even when they know they are wrong.
Perhaps such culture would be different if people were not able to hide behind their monitors when they types things up.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
We know what it means, but referring to someone directly as "a female" can be very demeaning to women.

Also, snowflake has become a buzzword that I would say has lost its value, but that would imply it had some in the first place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm trying to understand in what context calling a girl or woman a "female" could be viewed as offensive, but I can't really think of a situation where that would be objectively wrong? I mean, I would never introduce my girlfriend as "my female" because that just sounds weird, but I can't honestly say that it sounds like something that's worth getting offended over. I always try to empathize with others so as not to offend them, but even I can't grasp how the usage of the word "female" could be interpreted as bad.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It's less offensive and outright wrong and more ignoring social cues to be technically correct but off putting. It's why it's used as a joke in writing to show someone isn't in touch or is being creepy.

bobjr

Staff member
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. You can be correct in that you could call them females, but at the same time it's not the most socially correct way to refer to a group of women either.

I'm trying to understand in what context calling a girl or woman a "female" could be viewed as offensive, but I can't really think of a situation where that would be objectively wrong? I mean, I would never introduce my girlfriend as "my female" because that just sounds weird, but I can't honestly say that it sounds like something that's worth getting offended over. I always try to empathize with others so as not to offend them, but even I can't grasp how the usage of the word "female" could be interpreted as bad.

Because words don't carry weight simply by their direct meaning but by their connotations and the context that they're generally used. When we use the word "male" or "female" it's generally only ever used in a sterile sort of medical context or if you're referring to animals, i.e "Males possess higher levels of testosterone" or "Female boa constrictors are typically larger"

The reason it feels off is because "woman" which denotes personhood - a being with feelings, memories, etc. is replaced with something inarguably reductive by comparison.

bobjr

Staff member
I mean I don’t know about the rest of you but for decades someone using male/female like that has been common in sci-fi/alien shows to signify how not human someone is and how they aren’t communicating like a human would, so this isn’t exactly a new development.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Judging by your profile, you're male. Would you like to be called "a male" from now on? Probably not.

Note that that one article right there -- one of the two shortest words in the English language -- makes a world of difference in tone. It's not present when you refer to a group of people because its purpose (grammatically) is to denote the subject as singular. If you're referring to a group of people, switch to the singular version of the sentence to see if it's there.

It's probably fine to call your girlfriend "female" -- a little weird to indicate it specifically, unless your girlfriend is a trans woman and the other person is trying to assert that they're still a man -- but calling her "a female" robs her of a portion of her identity by reducing her to her gender alone -- not even "a person who is female," just some kind of disembodied gender.

In the technical sense, it's not incorrect (unless, again, you're misgendering someone, in which case, y'know, screw you to begin with), but it is very detached and eliminates the person's sense of humanity.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'll need a fedora to tip if I'm going to say that.
In situations, it may be appropriate.

For example, a girl somewhere between the age of 16-18 stumbles across your workplace and asks to see your coworker (perhaps his/her daughter). You take her to your coworker and say, "This lady would like to speak with you".

I don't see anything wrong in that scenario.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
In situations, it may be appropriate.

For example, a girl somewhere between the age of 16-18 stumbles across your workplace and asks to see your coworker (perhaps his/her daughter). You take her to your coworker and say, "This lady would like to speak with you".

I don't see anything wrong in that scenario.
I would call that human a female child.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I generally use lady for adult women or young lady for younger girls. Or man for an adult man or young man for younger men.

Only time I ever use the term, male (apart from talking about animals, which is a completely different thing entirely) is as a negative comment at sexist or racist men.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Just read the room and think.

Be less worried about offending(negative thinking) and focus on being courteous and nice in the environment you're in to the people in it(Positive thinking), which includes knowing and/or learning the decorum and/or rules of the space or people you're in/talking to.

This really isn't that hard.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Just read the room and think.

Be less worried about offending(negative thinking) and focus on being courteous and nice in the environment you're in to the people in it(Positive thinking), which includes knowing and/or learning the decorum and/or rules of the space or people you're in/talking to.

This really isn't that hard.
Yea I generally agree with you there. But there are exceptions, some people have a harder time doing so (such as those with Asperger's, Autism, etc.), so I try to be more empathetic towards them.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Yea I generally agree with you there. But there are exceptions, some people have a harder time doing so (such as those with Asperger's, Autism, etc.), so I try to be more empathetic towards them.
I would know.

I can read people, unlike many others like me. And it's a learned skill.

I merely want to inspire others to learn. It was worth it.

To all my fellow Autism Spectrum Disorder bretheren:It's never too late to learn how to better yourself while staying true to yourself. And you're not alone. You're NEVER alone.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Judging by your profile, you're male. Would you like to be called "a male" from now on? Probably not.

Note that that one article right there -- one of the two shortest words in the English language -- makes a world of difference in tone. It's not present when you refer to a group of people because its purpose (grammatically) is to denote the subject as singular. If you're referring to a group of people, switch to the singular version of the sentence to see if it's there.

It's probably fine to call your girlfriend "female" -- a little weird to indicate it specifically, unless your girlfriend is a trans woman and the other person is trying to assert that they're still a man -- but calling her "a female" robs her of a portion of her identity by reducing her to her gender alone -- not even "a person who is female," just some kind of disembodied gender.

In the technical sense, it's not incorrect (unless, again, you're misgendering someone, in which case, y'know, screw you to begin with), but it is very detached and eliminates the person's sense of humanity.
Yeah I can't think anything you said to heart when you assumed his gender base on his profile picture (I know he's a he based off his posts). You just discredited yourself.

bobjr

Staff member
*psst* You can tell what someone lists as gender by clicking on their profile, which is what he used. He didn't assume anything, he literally used the basic information given to him through really simple means*psst*

Status
Not open for further replies.