• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about PC culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I am definitely not trying to defend any racists or racism here but I do think trying to make everyone and everything PC has allowed people play the racism card way too much now even in instances where race doesn’t even matter! People got offended with me after I said that I thought looting and destroying businesses by burning down buildings was wrong and then accused of racial profiling for saying that. I’m sorry but what does being against seeing the business someone worked so hard to build up only for it to be closed due to a viral outbreak for two months and finally getting a chance to reopen only for it to be destroyed by looters and rioters have to do with race? Maybe I don’t like people doing that because my dad has his own small business that he spent 40 years in making it successful and if it were to be looted and destroyed, I’d lose everything because it is my main source of income? I never mentioned race in my comment. And for the record to those who tried to justify the destruction as being necessary and the only way to be heard during a protest I say BS! The March on Washington and the entire women suffrage movement are examples of nonviolent protests that yielded important results and changes and got tons of media coverage and are still being taught in history classes. Don’t use Stonewall as an example for your argument that protesting has to become violent to get results. Those people in the bar just fought back because they were sick of being harassed by law enforcement for years. It is a completely different situation than protesting the death of a person caused by police brutality. People are claiming way too many things are racist now that the actual definition of the word has practically lost all its meaning.
No offense but if you’re triggered by being called racist than ACTUAL racism going on in the world well you might need to examine that. Hit dogs are going to holler. Using a singular example of someone calling you racist due to you expressing an opinion as something to denounce a thing that’s been going for 400+ years is racist. You don’t get to control or narrate how anyone protests in this country. You want to denounce racism (and basically claim it doesn’t exist anymore because YOU got called one) but want to dictate how a protest against RACISM goes? That doesn’t make any sense. And no offense to your examples but those two protests you mentioned still have groups of people who are treated like second class citizens in America so what was really your point of comparing protests to each other? Evidently there is no correct way to protest. I suggest you do the work (RESEARCH) and reading before you claim racism is no long alive because it’s stupid and dangerous. You may not have been racist from the initial story you told but everything after that sentence is pure racism.

Edit: Also if you have to begin something with “I’m not racist but” or “I’m not trying to defend racism but” it’s your subconscious telling you’re about to write some dumb shhhhh in your post and to delete it.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
One example I point to when people say PC culture is out of control is The Simpsons, because when that came out you had calls to cancel it because of how non-PC it was, and an early episode where Homer decides not to go to church was treated as insane to put on TV, and I don’t think anyone now is saying the Simpsons is too bad for tv.

But I see it more as the worst parts of PC is a status quo or being okay with change, but slowly over time where that might not be the best case for it. You can openly and loudly propose or reject an idea, but as always there’s deeper things to consider now that we are taking race, gender, and sex into consideration, and before they just weren’t talked about or treated as bad to even mention in the first place

Poke Trainer J

What is a real and fake SJW according to your definitions?
Well to me real SJW's want to reach a middle ground between both sides that benefits everybody where as fake SJW's only care about sowing division and hatred in our society that only benefits themselves even though it doesn't feel that way to them. Everybody thinks they're doing the right thing because it feels good however there's real consequences to any movement. There's no denying that Political Correctness / Woke Culture is a Social Plague on our society. It's primarily about censorship and manipulating others to match a certain viewpoint while then aggressively forcing that viewpoint on others. Then If you disagree with that viewpoint you'll be banned, de-funded, or even cancelled in every manner of those words. Why do you think there's been so much cultural vandalism taking place within the entertainment industry as of late?

Most people who get caught up in these political movements have been told nice lies their whole lives, like sheep following a false shepherd whose really a wolf in sheep's clothing themselves. These movements don't match up to how human beings function in reality. You can't even argue against the ideology because even when these people are proven wrong it doesn't matter to them when the only thing that matters is the ideology itself. So until that ideology turns on you, you start to realize that you were wrong when common sense says that you were right. Political Correctness / Woke Culture is hurting ourselves as a society just as bad as what COVID-19 has done to the world yet we refuse to willingly acknowledge it even publicly especially on social media. We aren't coming out of government lockdown and quarantine any better than how we were before.

Wait until the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) runs out of money soon, especially the $600 disposable income for Unemployment that runs out soon, then you start seeing more and more bankruptcies with more people losing their homes due to foreclosure. With the U.S. Government handing out trillions of dollars of "free money" to everyone it ended up creating artificial inflation on the Secondary Market where collectible / tangible items are double If not triple of what they normally go for. Wait until there's food shortages and the electricity goes out. Are you too afraid to speak your mind? Do you want to know what the real world consequences for publicly speaking your mind against Political Correctness / Woke Culture today are? Being endlessly harassed, threatened, forced to lose your job, or even worse. Yet we continue to turn a blind eye to those we hurt more than ourselves.

bobjr

Staff member
I don’t think comparing booting out people for things like sexual harassment compares to a global pandemic all that well.

If anything media has gotten more and more relaxed on what you can say, which means you have to reflect on what’s being said and why it would want to be said in the first place. Plus with social media and stuff like YouTube where you have less moderation you also have way more people who are willing to pull the mask off and show who they really are, so you’ll just see more instances happen quicker instead of finding out 20 years later like in the 80’s

Poke Trainer J

If anything I think Social Media has amplified Politically Correct / Woke Culture to a state of negativity that's done more harm to our society than good regardless of peoples' views of whether or not If it's considered hate speech or an infringement of the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Maybe with more people going back to message board forums like here on Serebii there won't be as much negativity that ends up getting monetized for chasing clout which I think was the root of the problem in the first place. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though people are willing to go back to the old ways of communicating pre-social media and are looking for viable alternatives that are just as good that mainly fits within their own echo chambers that ends up creating more polarization for humanity as a whole.

The problem is that Social Media isn't designed for conversation. It's designed for performance only. When two people talk publicly on Social Media only 10% are talking to each other while the other 90% are talking to the theoretical audience. Message Board Forums don't sort out unpopular comments, they don't give you scores to rank yourself, most of the comments you make to someone else on a Forum will have literally no acknowledgement that anyone who didn't reply to you ever read your post. That's what lets you talk to people, rather than the audience. Something we all value from Message Board Forums is that while writers have always been free to dump their thoughts in a careless manner, the mechanics of Message Boards don't encourage it to the extent that Social Media does. Just because something is convenient doesn't always make it more efficient.

There are people out there who'd much rather prefer to craft their posts in such a way that their ideas are shared with as much clarity and refinement as possible. Nobody knows why that is where as Message Board Forums are just better for having conversations regardless of what young millennial's think where it's all about instant gratification to them. With the recent news of Social Media CEO's cracking down on their platforms by imposing censorship rules / regulations and limiting free speech from those who don't share the same viewpoints as them is more of a sign that these platforms with YouTube being the exception in this are an unsustainable business model that only continues to get worse with no signs of these companies being de-funded and put out of business for good. I think people are starting to wake up to what's really been going on.

bobjr

Staff member
So private corporations shouldn’t be able to regulate what’s on their platform? That’s why companies are pulling out of advertising, they see their products being advertised under anti-vax or white supremacy posts, and don’t want that label or to be seen supporting it, and it’s up to the platform if they want to do something about that or not.

Poke Trainer J

So private corporations shouldn’t be able to regulate what’s on their platform? That’s why companies are pulling out of advertising, they see their products being advertised under anti-vax or white supremacy posts, and don’t want that label or to be seen supporting it, and it’s up to the platform if they want to do something about that or not.
Not If these private corporations are infringing on peoples constitutional rights of free speech and freedom of expression to force others to think the way they think which is exactly what they're doing. What they're getting away with is the kind of censorship that George Orwell warned us about in 1984 as a way to assert power by choosing who gets to have a voice and who doesn't. Just because we don't agree with certain viewpoints doesn't give us the right to censor them when they should still be heard just like any testimony in a court of law or arguments for cases being heard within the Supreme Court. People are innocent until they're proven guilty not the other way around.

Censorship by these private corporations are just them saying that they'd rather ignore the problem altogether than to find reasonable solutions for them that benefits both sides of the aisle. Kinda sounds like Congress in a nutshell doesn't it? They only want to benefit off of what matters to their ideologies instead of what's best for the collective as a whole. This is how the issue of ego comes into play as it's been causing this divide within our society that we desperately need to let go of. I don't think we can ultimately let go of own egos since they're a part of our identity as a species when we can suppress it enough to change the world in a positive manner.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I still stand by one of my statements here that social media should be a privilege and not a right.

If someone said some nasty stuff on this forum, a mod would properly give that person an infraction.

In both a forum like this and a social media platform, banning certain behaviors isn't a violation of free speech.
Especially since that doesn't mean you can't take it elsewhere anyway.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This comic by xkcd sums up how I feel about this issue:

https://xkcd.com/1357/

Just because someone can say something, doesn't mean a site isn't within their rights if said speech is racist, sexist, offensive, to warn, infract and/or ban them, depending on the seriousness of the situation. The muh freedom argument that I've seen R's use is nothing more than a strawman that they use to continue to spread their own hateful views regardless of what others think.

BCVM22

Not If these private corporations are infringing on peoples constitutional rights

Private corporations cannot, by definition, infringe upon your constitutional rights in that regard. The First Amendment shields you from punishment by the government. Your constitutional rights have no bearing on private entities telling you they don't want racist, sexist, xenophobic, or otherwise harmful garbage on their platform.

Censorship by these private corporations are just them saying that they'd rather ignore the problem altogether than to find reasonable solutions for them that benefits both sides of the aisle. Kinda sounds like Congress in a nutshell doesn't it? They only want to benefit off of what matters to their ideologies instead of what's best for the collective as a whole.

There are no two sides to something that actively harms, derides, dehumanizes, or otherwise encourages violence. Certain viewpoints are actively harmful and don't warrant legitimization via equal airtime.

Poke Trainer J

Private corporations cannot, by definition, infringe upon your constitutional rights in that regard. The First Amendment shields you from punishment by the government. Your constitutional rights have no bearing on private entities telling you they don't want racist, sexist, xenophobic, or otherwise harmful garbage on their platform.
Because corporations aren't people right? If governments weren't people then more innocent people would probably already be locked up in jail by now with no due process like with innocent people getting killed by automated controlled drone strikes across the globe piloted by artificial intelligence instead of being controlled by man.
There are no two sides to something that actively harms, derides, dehumanizes, or otherwise encourages violence. Certain viewpoints are actively harmful and don't warrant legitimization via equal airtime.
Not just certain viewpoints, ALL viewpoints are more or less being treated as actively harmful according to the mainstream media and the hate mobs on Twitter / Facebook. I can like something but If I have my own opinion about something then apparently that's a problem according to the court of public opinion. It shouldn't be but that's the reality we live in right now.

BCVM22

I don't think you're having the discussion anyone else is having. Drone strikes, and banning vile racists from social media are not the same thing.

I can like something but If I have my own opinion about something then apparently that's a problem according to the court of public opinion. It shouldn't be but that's the reality we live in right now.

Yes, that is how freedom of speech works. The government can't punish you for being a vile person (right now it qualifies you for a Cabinet position) but private entities and citizens are 100% within their rights to call out your garbage.

Poke Trainer J

Yes, that is how freedom of speech works. The government can't punish you for being a vile person (right now it qualifies you for a Cabinet position) but private entities and citizens are 100% within their rights to call out your garbage.
This is what's leading to bad public relations between these private entities and their consumers / customers because these entities have become so self aware to the point where they only care about catering to specific demographics that aren't making them any money. As an end result they end up viewing failure as success to further advance their own ideological beliefs that only ends up creating more polarization with people who want them to succeed yet they're distancing themselves away from them for no reason.

If these consumers / customers have a differing opinion regardless If it's good or bad from said private entity then they aren't welcome within said community. These private entities are so thin skinned to the point where they've allowed too much of their emotions to cloud their judgment on things that normally wouldn't be as offensive. We're seeing that throughout the entertainment industry and pop culture as a whole and it's only going to continue to get worse as time moves on. Why do you think Japanese Manga is succeeding more than American Comics right now?

BCVM22

Most of what you say about "the entertainment industry and pop culture as a whole" doesn't sound like anything that will get "worse." It sounds more like concern that the freedom to be as offensive as one sees fit absent any kind of consequences continues to erode, which... well, bye.

Poke Trainer J

Most of what you say about "the entertainment industry and pop culture as a whole" doesn't sound like anything that will get "worse." It sounds more like concern that the freedom to be as offensive as one sees fit absent any kind of consequences continues to erode, which... well, bye.
Except everything is being viewed as offensive even when common sense says otherwise.

BCVM22

"Everyone is offended now" is generally the refrain of people accustomed to being able to say or do whatever they want without consequence, and who don't want to hear that what they're saying or doing is offensive or insensitive.

Poke Trainer J

"Everyone is offended now" is generally the refrain of people accustomed to being able to say or do whatever they want without consequence, and who don't want to hear that what they're saying or doing is offensive or insensitive.
But where at what point do we draw the line that leads to a court hearing? For someone to get arrested and thrown in jail they would've had to commit a serious crime like murdering someone but nowadays saying something that triggers someone regardless of whether or not it was justified could now land you in prison.

Poke Trainer J

It's still the same conversation when you're just trying to twist the narrative in order to fit what makes more sense for yourself logically.

Status
Not open for further replies.