• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about PC culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
In case any of you are wondering it stands for political correct culture. I find no problem with it and feel like if you aren't prejudice is any way; it shouldn't effect you.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
In case any of you are wondering it stands for political correct culture. I find no problem with it and feel like if you aren't prejudice is any way; it shouldn't effect you.
Well ....it is complicated to explain why there are few peoples don't really care about theses political correctness

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ll provide links to sites that have info. One is a debate site which does give some examples.

https://www.debate.org/opinions/has-political-correctness-gone-too-far

https://www.listenandlearnusa.com/blog/has-politically-correct-language-gone-too-far/

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2017/05/17/no-offence-political-correctness-gone-far-94208

https://medium.com/@chuckingrocks/i...y-it-pc-culture-has-gone-too-far-3a7e3f15019a

https://www.southernthing.com/maam-...have-a-politeness-crisis-yall-2631510426.html

And these were just five of the results when you Google if being politically correct has gone too far. I mean you have feminists that are offended by words like woman, man, and girl. You have people offended at being called “sir” and “ma’am” as a sign of respect. Another one is that people are defending this person who claims to be transgendered yet has done no transitioning and makes very disturbing comments to underaged girls that actual trans gendered people refuse to acknowledge this individual as one of them and they are labeled as being transphobic. How is it being transphobic if you’re a trans person refusing to accept a person that claims to be trans when there’s evidence that they aren’t? That’s like calling an African American racist because he thinks that Caucasian women are pretty.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
PC culture doesn’t really impact me. Though it’s quite telling that some people find being a decent human being is equivalent to being “forced” into PC culture. I also hate the “society is easily offended now” as it comes from people who act like anything that’s not following the rules of their culture or religion is wrong.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’ll provide links to sites that have info. One is a debate site which does give some examples.

https://www.debate.org/opinions/has-political-correctness-gone-too-far

https://www.listenandlearnusa.com/blog/has-politically-correct-language-gone-too-far/

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2017/05/17/no-offence-political-correctness-gone-far-94208

https://medium.com/@chuckingrocks/i...y-it-pc-culture-has-gone-too-far-3a7e3f15019a

https://www.southernthing.com/maam-...have-a-politeness-crisis-yall-2631510426.html

And these were just five of the results when you Google if being politically correct has gone too far. I mean you have feminists that are offended by words like woman, man, and girl. You have people offended at being called “sir” and “ma’am” as a sign of respect. Another one is that people are defending this person who claims to be transgendered yet has done no transitioning and makes very disturbing comments to underaged girls that actual trans gendered people refuse to acknowledge this individual as one of them and they are labeled as being transphobic. How is it being transphobic if you’re a trans person refusing to accept a person that claims to be trans when there’s evidence that they aren’t? That’s like calling an African American racist because he thinks that Caucasian women are pretty.
Naturally there are extremist in every group of people but they don’t represent the majority. I’m pretty sure your normal day to day feminist just want equal equality for men and women and for women to stop being harassed and given respect.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
That it's too vague, ill-defined, and nebulous a term to be at all useful in any serious discussion.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Thank you for clarifying what you meant, my immediate thought was PC culture as in computer games and the community itself.

I’m pretty neutral about it. I don’t care for it but it’s clear that it has a heavy influence in the US. My issue is when you said, “if you aren’t prejudice in any way, it shouldn’t affect you”, the thing is, many people with prejudice especially when it comes to racial profiling, jump into PC culture, claiming that they’re color blind, doesn’t see race, and whatever when it’s a coverup for them. This is just my personal real life experience but I’ve been racially discriminated by a few PC culture vultures who would find any reason to be offended even when nothing offensive have been said. In my experience, the people who seem the most indulged in this so called politically correct culture has been the complete opposite of their beliefs. So be aware.

Anyway, I don’t consider myself politically correct. And I don’t agree with the popular trend to attack and ruin people’s careers and businesses especially when it comes to things they’ve said or done in the distant past like Kevin Hart using the slur for gays in a joke he tweeted over 10 years. Or some people wanting to take down MLK Jr. just because some people uncovered past history of him cheating on his wife. Comedy is something that shouldn’t have any limitations. I believe that PC Culture has made the younger generation more aware of the tragedies and injustices of life so I think the moral of respecting others and treating people how you would like to be treated is more ingrained in their conscience. It’s also really nice that some groups such as transgenders who used to be commonly made fun of, are gaining more rights and people are becoming informed on what it means.

I think it’s a bit out of control nowadays especially when something you say like, “I believe that there is only 2 genders” can get you fired or banned. Though I also believe that it’s a sign of progression and positive change that naturally happens as time moves forward.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Thank you for clarifying what you meant, my immediate thought was PC culture as in computer games and the community itself.

I’m pretty neutral about it. I don’t care for it but it’s clear that it has a heavy influence in the US. My issue is when you said, “if you aren’t prejudice in any way, it shouldn’t affect you”, the thing is, many people with prejudice especially when it comes to racial profiling, jump into PC culture, claiming that they’re color blind, doesn’t see race, and whatever when it’s a coverup for them. This is just my personal real life experience but I’ve been racially discriminated by a few PC culture vultures who would find any reason to be offended even when nothing offensive have been said. In my experience, the people who seem the most indulged in this so called politically correct culture has been the complete opposite of their beliefs. So be aware.

Anyway, I don’t consider myself politically correct. And I don’t agree with the popular trend to attack and ruin people’s careers and businesses especially when it comes to things they’ve said or done in the distant past like Kevin Hart using the slur for gays in a joke he tweeted over 10 years. Or some people wanting to take down MLK Jr. just because some people uncovered past history of him cheating on his wife. Comedy is something that shouldn’t have any limitations. I believe that PC Culture has made the younger generation more aware of the tragedies and injustices of life so I think the moral of respecting others and treating people how you would like to be treated is more ingrained in their conscience. It’s also really nice that some groups such as transgenders who used to be commonly made fun of, are gaining more rights and people are becoming informed on what it means.

I think it’s a bit out of control nowadays especially when something you say like, “I believe that there is only 2 genders” can get you fired or banned. Though I also believe that it’s a sign of progression and positive change that naturally happens as time moves forward.
I’m sorry to hear about your experiences. I definitely believe that a good majority of liberals are racist (in fact that’s what Get Out was about). I don’t think that personally reflects all that indulges in PC culture but I see your point. As far are ruining people’s careers; agreed. If it wasn’t in a year-two year distance let it go. I don’t believe Kevin Harts tweets were relevant to being up especially since they were long ago and said man already apologized for it. It seemed like they just didn’t want him hosting the Grammy’s and made a smear campaign. I only believe in “cancel culture” when it’s used to being awareness to an issue not attack or belittle people and ruin their lives. Nothing comes from that. If you don’t mind me asking how long was Kevin Harts tweets anyway?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I’m sorry to hear about your experiences. I definitely believe that a good majority of liberals are racist (in fact that’s what Get Out was about). I don’t think that personally reflects all that indulges in PC culture but I see your point. As far are ruining people’s careers; agreed. If it wasn’t in a year-two year distance let it go. I don’t believe Kevin Harts tweets were relevant to being up especially since they were long ago and said man already apologized for it. It seemed like they just didn’t want him hosting the Grammy’s and made a smear campaign. I only believe in “cancel culture” when it’s used to being awareness to an issue not attack or belittle people and ruin their lives. Nothing comes from that. If you don’t mind me asking how long was Kevin Harts tweets anyway?
Kevin Hart made a joke using a word f@ggot back in 2009 I think. I saw an article where some users dug into his old tweets and found to use against him (and by the way, I don’t even like Kevin Hart.) Cancel culture is subjective in themselves especially in Hollywood, and it’s mainly targeted towards black males. People wanna cancel a dead man like Michael Jackson lately for allegations that’s since been proven false yet a man like Woody Allen or Harvey Weinstein with known history of raping women and other disgusting antics gets protected and pushed under the rug. And while I do agree with the notion to not let their past actions reflect their character or have the person be punished for something as insignificant as a joke, some actions done in the past should be punishable like with Bill Cosby drug raping dozens of women back in the 80’s or an incident like Mark Wahlberg racially targeting and beating up 2 innocent Asian men back in the 90’s (most people didn’t know until he asked the Boston Court to forgive his past actions since he regretted it, and he hasn’t been charged at all.)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think the song “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” sums up the issue in that if everyone would stop being so PC all the time then maybe we could live in harmony. PC Principal from South Park also sums up how the whole politically correct issue has gone too far. I actually knew a woman who literally found the term “white lie” and this was because she saw it as a racist term.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Kevin Hart made a joke using a word f@ggot back in 2009 I think. I saw an article where some users dug into his old tweets and found to use against him (and by the way, I don’t even like Kevin Hart.) Cancel culture is subjective in themselves especially in Hollywood, and it’s mainly targeted towards black males. People wanna cancel a dead man like Michael Jackson lately for allegations that’s since been proven false yet a man like Woody Allen or Harvey Weinstein with known history of raping women and other disgusting antics gets protected and pushed under the rug. And while I do agree with the notion to not let their past actions reflect their character or have the person be punished for something as insignificant as a joke, some actions done in the past should be punishable like with Bill Cosby drug raping dozens of women back in the 80’s or an incident like Mark Wahlberg racially targeting and beating up 2 innocent Asian men back in the 90’s (most people didn’t know until he asked the Boston Court to forgive his past actions since he regretted it, and he hasn’t been charged at all.)
Oh yikes. I agree though, something ten years later doesn’t reflect who he is now. I never really looked into black men being targeted in PC culture a lot especially since our most recent example is Mario Lopez. That’s definitely something to look into. And yeah the fact that Mark Wahlberg hasn’t been “cancelled” yet is the biggest shock of the millennium. Of course it’ll be covered up as “stupid kid making stupid mistakes” of course.

FullFathomsFive

'PC culture' almost certainly has a minuscule effect on millions of everyday interactions and its cheerleaders are a tiny proportion of individuals in public debate. It can be absolutely gratuitous and ridiculous, but it's also great sensationalist ammunition for Youtubers who want to sell a worldview or simply journalists who want to sell newspapers.

I actually think it has an important part of play in the ecosystem of debate. Yes, a lot of it is eye-roll inducing but the best ideas find themselves in public consciousness through osmosis. Much of the western world genuinely is nicer to non-white races, those with non-straight sexualities and people with disabilities, despite the work that still needs to be done.

My main concern would be the world of academia. Some of the worst ideas for placing a stranglehold on debate seem to take root very quickly in educational establishments, and some clips of terrified senior staff are quite disturbing.

Xuxuba

I agree, but i do think that when it comes to art sometimes people mistake the characters' beliefs for the creator's own beliefs, when in reality the creators are really open minded and just portray this kind of behaviour to show that not everyone in the world is accepting and how ridiculous some of these closed minded people actually act.

I also don't condone people who say they hate straight/white/cis/male people. I get how they feel cuz as a minority myself i get angry at people often, but i don't think doing what some of them are doing is the way to go.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
PC Culture is a buzzword where you have deep dive into tumblr posts to find your typical crazies who don't affect anything, and mostly it's people mad that things are more diverse/reaching different audiences/calling things out for being racist/sexist/homophobic.

There's an issue some people have where they think they have the neutral default opinion, and for some reason there's a weird overlap with people who are big South Park fans.

Who's really hurt from whatever situation gets warped into a "PC Culture" situation. Usually someone uneducated about a thing they were doing wrong, and instead of self-reflection lashes out instead.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m not saying it’s a bad thing to be politically correct but we should not let politically correctness dictate our entire lives and cause everyone around us to walk on eggshells out of fear of offending someone. People will always find a way to be offended by practically anything including puppies playing and catnip being given to cats. Being PC like anything else in life can and will go way to far if you aren’t careful. Not everyone has to conform to what you think is correct.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Shouldn't this be in the debate forum, since that is the form of discussion?

There is a thing about being too politically correct, but we live in 2019 where are customs should be more welcoming and more suited for the people of today.

Now you may ask me what the difference between 2019 and 2009 is, but ten years later, we should have more insight in the different groups people find themselves in.

I'm sorry that this is generic.

I do find it sadly ironic though when people say, "I don't have to be politically correct", and then proceed to say hurtful things to marginalized groups of people. There is a difference between being "politically correct" and just being a decent person.

Edit: I guess I should clarify what I mean by being too politically correct. I'm basically talking about things you can dig off a stereotypical tumblr post. Like I think people can set a high tripping wire, but I don't think this is necessarily the norm. It's just what some people do.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Shouldn't this be in the debate forum, since that is the form of discussion?

There is a thing about being too politically correct, but we live in 2019 where are customs should be more welcoming and more suited for the people of today.

Now you may ask me what the difference between 2019 and 2009 is, but ten years later, we should have more insight in the different groups people find themselves in.

I'm sorry that this is generic.

I do find it sadly ironic though when people say, "I don't have to be politically correct", and then proceed to say hurtful things to marginalized groups of people. There is a difference between being "politically correct" and just being a decent person.

Edit: I guess I should clarify what I mean by being too politically correct. I'm basically talking about things you can dig off a stereotypical tumblr post. Like I think people can set a high tripping wire, but I don't think this is necessarily the norm. It's just what some people do.
I never thought about this being in the wrong section but yeah I suppose the Debate forums would be a better place for this thread.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
And I just moved it there.

As for pc culture, sometimes it is too much. Take movies for example, Mrs. Doubtfire and Robin Hood: Men in Tights probably aren't considered to be pc these days. But that said I watch those movies to enjoy them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.