• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about the animé's version of Pokémerica so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

What do you think about the animé's version of Pokémerica so far?

We know, it's official, Isshu is based on New York City. And it's obvious many of the Pokemon designs are influenced by big-city life, or are blatant tributes to America like Wargle.

So what about the anime's portrayal of Pokemerica?

I really enjoyed Shooti. Okay, the picture thing is probably going to get old really, really fast. But he's a good representation of what big city folk think about everyone who doesn't live in big cities, in reference to calling Masara Town a "hick town". If you aren't from a large city, they think you're a country bumpkin who doesn't know anything about the "real world". Seriously, I have relatives in Boston, Massachusetts, and they all think my entire state is just corn and soybeans, even though I live in the 13th largest city in the US.

Minezumi and Shikijika appearing were good choices. I hope to see Minezumi digging through trash cans in the city.

So what say you?

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
I think pokeamerica is rather inaccurate. America is a diverse country so a pokeamerica should have a lot more diffrent pokemon not just natives...

raz1337

Miju Miju!
I just want an accurate map of the world. We have things like this:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2a/RegionsMoviesMap.jpg

But, it doesn't coincide with Oak's comment in The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing, "It's from Sinnoh. It's far north of the Kanto region. There are Pokemon living there that can't be found anywhere else." Sinnoh off to the side like that != far north.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'd ... actually have to agree with Waffle. Isshu seems to be a more isolated Region then any other Region we've seen due to its lack of 'import' Pokemon from other Regions. Even if Isshu was far away you'd think that some Flying Pokemon would inevitably make their way to Isshu since some can fly for hours without rest. Same for migrating Water Type Pokemon.

Edit:

I just want an accurate map of the world. We have things like this:

It's doubtful we'll ever get one since that'll lock the Game Designers into something while giving us pieces of the map allows for more artistic freedom while designing.

Another game I played had a problem along the lines of that Eventually they ran out of space for nations and had to redo the map (twice). What if the same thing happened for the Pokemon World and they eventually make enough Regions to fill in the map that they have?

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Isshu as a region in the Best Wishes anime seems ok in my opinion. Yeah we've had a lot of blond/brown-haired characters so far, but it seems like Iris and Don George will fix that in time. I believe the anime writers will improve with age and will add a few more culturally diverse characters too. As for the actual Pokemon; they seem like generic Pokemon to me so far so I can't really see too many of them being based off of American life except maybe for Wargle.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
We haven't really seen anything that different.

Except for a massive cruise ship/airplane hybrid that floats in water. That's new.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Another game I played had a problem along the lines of that Eventually they ran out of space for nations and had to redo the map (twice). What if the same thing happened for the Pokemon World and they eventually make enough Regions to fill in the map that they have?

Then they make it bigger. Bigger is better.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Yeah you did *Hold us knuckles*. I can't really see the connection to america in the anime yet so i can't complain.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
We have another User who thinks like CyberCubed, looking into the future. We have yet to see anything related to the U.S yet. I don't know if that abandoned factory near Sanyou City is a reference.... theres factories everywhere but we'd have to wait until Huin City for us to see this in the Anime.

TicoPokemonMaster

sure the game developers said that Isshu is based on New York City. But I think that Huin City is the only thing that is based off of New York City. Nothing else stands out as American based ( North, Central or South America) Sure they have soccer player (japan also plays soccer) American Football, basketball and baseball player. and one pokemon is based on an American Eagle. but that's it. I also agree that it is kind of silly for the writers to completely ignore the fact that marine animals have the capablility to migrate. So why couldn't all the ocean based pokemon make it to Isshu as well. Or that some pokemon are able to fly. I think that America was a small inspiration in creating Isshu

playerking

What about the vulture isn't that american and i think the thing in the middle of isshu is based on central park i maybe wrong. Don't forget about broklyn bridge.

TicoPokemonMaster

Broklyn bridge is in New York.

and I'm pretty sure tha vultures live in other countries other than america.

edit: i double checked and vultures live in every contient other than Antartica (obvious reasons) and Oceania

Last edited:

playerking

Isshu isn't based on america i thinks it's solely based on New york though the desert might he the nevada desert.

TicoPokemonMaster

That's the thing New York is just a city, the snow covered mountains and desert as you say aren't any where near New York.

randomspot555

Isshu is based on New York, though I wouldn't be surprised if we had some visits in filler episodes to other notable parts of North America. Mount Rushmore, Niagara Falls, etc... I haven't played the games yet, so the anime is largely my first exposure to these Pokemon.

As for the "Well why didn't X and Y animals migrate?". I'm not going to blame the anime for that. The game producers made a very conscious decision to not include previous Pokemon in the regional dex and make it seem that Isshu is very far away. It's a big element in the game.

But we're only a few episodes in. I'm sure if the writers need an old Pokemon, they'll find a way to get it.

TicoPokemonMaster

I never said the anime, I meant the games. Plus in this weeks episode we see an Umbreon. Also the female professor didn't say flat out say that wild Pikachus don't live in Isshu only that they haven't been seen yet.

TicoPokemonMaster

For all we know Don George could have never left Isshu. Plus that is besides the point.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
It's really good, I'm wating to see Hiun City because its a big city. Until now we didn't see so much of the region in the anime, but we will see later.
As for Shooti I don't really like him, but maybe I'll change my mind later.

Status
Not open for further replies.