• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think about the Movie Version of the song "Black and White"?

What do you think about the Movie Version of the song "Black & White"?

• This is the definitive version

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I love it!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Better than the original

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It’s Okay

• I like both :)

• Worse than the original

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate it!

• Any other reason that is not in this poll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

charizardmaster125

As we know, most Pokémon movies, namely; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 12 (not counting 10 as “We will be Heroes” was original to begin with) have a remixed and extended version of the theme song for the respective TV seasons of the English dub.

So now that the Dual Pokémon Movie 14 has been shown in America on the “Big Screen” and on Cartoon Network respectively, a remixed and extended version of the current Pokémon Black & White theme song has been used.

I have conducted this poll just to get your thoughts on it. If you are interested just type in “Pokémon Black & White Movie Song” into YouTube and a couple of clean versions from the Cartoon Network airing will have been uploaded.

Here are my thoughts on the extended version.

Okay so I was going to wait until the movie was eventually released in the UK but I decided to spoil myself and try to listen to the theme song for the movie. The song has more of the same premise as the TV version. It starts off more or less the same but on the first line, vocal Joe Phillips, on the word “begins” takes the tone slightly higher.

When Erin Bowmen does her first round the line “Hard to make new friends” has been changed with “Hard to make amends”, I get the feeling that TPCi are under the impression that people are starting to get tired of hearing the word “friends” in the song, which is a good thing!

Okay so using “friends” in the lyrics was fine for Seasons 1, 5, 8 and 11 but after hearing it being used in all the following themes up to this point, let’s just say it starts to get annoying if you have been watching the show for as long as I have and you also get the impression that TPCi are starting to get cheap and lazy or that they are literally running out of ideas.

Anyways after “But there’s nothing you can’t do, cause you’ve got the power inside of you” just as you’re about to sing “It’s not always Black & White” another verse starts with the following lyrics, I’ve placed the vocals name next to each line:

Joe: It’s always hard to make a choice.
Erin: To keep things inside or to raise your voice.
Joe: & Erin: For everyone there comes a time, when the light inside begins to shine.

(And then the chorus sung by both Joe and Erin respectively)

It’s not always right or wrong, as long as you’re spirits’ strong.
It’s not about win or lose, it’s the “road” you choose.

The answers within... (From what I can hear, this line is exclusive to Erin)

It’s not always black and white.
But you’re heart always knows what’s right.
“But” let the journey begin...

(And onto another verse)

Joe: So many choices, how do we know?
Erin: So many places, where do we go?
Joe: What should I say?
Erin: What should I do?
Joe & Erin: Still we’re together me and you.

And again the same chorus with “Pokémon!” being shoehorned in as it is in the TV version and then after a very short electric guitar solo as there usually is in and extended Pokémon theme song the words “There’s nothing you can’t do, cause you’ve got the power inside of you” and for one last hurrah, the main chorus and another chant of “Pokémon!” to finish the song.

If you fancy a sing along, the lyrics are on Bulbapeida.

So, overall, I love this remix and that’s saying quite allot. I think that it’s allot better than its pathetically short 30 Second TV counterpart. Both Erin and Joe get their fair share of lines. This song as a whole and along with “I Believe in You” from Pokémon Movie 13 fits well with Erin’s “Taylor Swift” approach to songs.

My other major gripe with the TV version was that poor old Joe had his voice drowned out by Erin in the main chorus and while that still holds true for this version, which I find kind of disappointing though it is clear that out of the two, Erin is the stronger singer which again holds true for both versions.

If it’s any indication to a pattern, this proves that TPCi can be creative with their songs in general and I find it a shame that they can’t translate that into the TV because the greedy money makers that are Cartoon Network, want money from as many adverts as they can shoehorn in which is why openings these days are just cut and pasted together.

Soon as with many other cartoons, I fear that Pokémon in countries outside of Japan won’t get a decent opening let alone no opening at all because the networks don’t allow openings o be more than 30 Seconds. This is probably one of the reasons why I would prefer Pokémon to get a direct to DVD release like most other Anime’s are so at best we could get a more than decent opening or even better, the original Japanese opening with a localized and translated song.

Hey, I can dream. Though you might get some person saying that it’s not economically viable to give Pokémon Anime a direct to DVD release due to all the licences that they have to pay for and that may be true but with a franchise as big as Pokémon, TPCi part owns a franchise along with Nintendo and Game Freak that draws in big money that could just make that a future possibility.

There is so much more that I want to say but at the moment, I’m finding it hard to put my thoughts together but if I have anything else to say, I’ll chip in. So it’s over to you.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I really enjoyed it. :) Better then all the DPs ops expect for the Galactic Battles one. AG had the best theme songs but this is really a good one tbh. I enjoyed the duet. That is something that should not be done ever season though. Duets should be done every now and again though since there fun.

As for the OP statement on openings. CN sucks with that. At least shows on Disney and Nicktoons keep the the openings. Disney XD kept the Shippuden ops and DBZ Kai only made it a bit shorter. Still a full 60s seconds is good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.