• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think each each Gen of the anime will be remembered as?

Question in title

OS-
AG-
DP-
BW-
XY-
SM-

Generalizing each gen around what you have seen from talk of it would be cool. Feel free to post your own opinions as to what each gen will be remembered as.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Using the power of reddit and YT comments mostly the latter, I’ve concluded the following:

OS - Pity badges
AG - OMG THEY GOT RID OF MISTY!!1 RUINED FOREVAR!1
DP - You got 190 episodes and a Marty Stu with freaking legendaries is the best you can come up with?
BW - Reset! Reboot! It sucks!
XY - Alain ruined the anime!
SM - Ash is no longer handsome! This anime is not canon because it doesn’t follow my fanfiction!

Using the power of reddit and YT comments mostly the latter, I’ve concluded the following:

OS - Pity badges
AG - OMG THEY GOT RID OF MISTY!!1 RUINED FOREVAR!1
DP - You got 190 episodes and a Marty Stu with freaking legendaries is the best you can come up with?
BW - Reset! Reboot! It sucks!
XY - Alain ruined the anime!
SM - Ash is no longer handsome! This anime is not canon because it doesn’t follow my fanfiction!

Lmao. A bit too harsh don't you think? Maybe a bit over-generalized or greatly exaggerating :D

What abt your own opinions as to how they will be remembered?

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
OS-Ash/Brock/Misty/Comedy/COTDs/Gary/Team Rocket
AG-Battles/Contests/Drew/Harley/Battle Frontier
DP-Battles/Contests/Villains/Elite Four/Paul
BW-Reset
XY-Mega Evolution/Greninja/Great Animation

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I guess I’ll go for it, though this might be kinda a bit of my own things that will I remember the gens for mixed in.

OS - Original Series, people being okay with Ash being a noob.
AG - The wars begin
DP - This was the best series... until XY(Z) came along. (Not for me though)
BW - Ash’s reset automatically means that this series sucks. (Not for me though.)
XY - Hypebait, #AmourFTW, the permanent toxic-ification of the fanbase begins.
SM - WWF (World War Fanbase), further increased toxicity, more Ash-hating because he isn’t “desirable” anymore (I’m fine with him though).

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
- Indigo League: Ash being a noob, Misty pulling Brock ears, disobedient Charmeleon/Charizard.
- XY: Serena can't fight, Clemont exploding inventions, Bonnie Waifu hunting, badass Ash and the kiss.
- SM: Slapstick Ash and the school setting.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
OS-Early Instalment weirdness. Has some heart but far away from being the show at its best.
AG-An experimental era, where they tried to change some things up and try new things. And all that while also awknowledging - and using - previous continuity.
DP-More ambitious, some of the experiments from AG matured while they tried to make things more intense. A stronger focus on world-building with the sinnoh myths.
BW-A "relaunch" in a way that looks like a reboot but it's not quite. They tried to recapture things from the first one while using the things they've learned so far.
XY-The best, uniting aspects of everything before while also trying to do its own thing.
SM-Reimagining the anime and trying to fit the new tendencies of entertainment for children (aka the stronger focus on comedy). I'm not a fan of it, but I can see why they did it the way they did.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
OS- Weirdness, nostalgia, best characterization. Overall best movies as well.

AG- Wow, sure is good the whole "replaced the female lead" died down after this region, huh? Oh, and introducing the anime version of Contests

DP- Tobias showing up out of nowhere and half the fanbase outright praising an abusive rival. 3-part League battle glorifying said abusive rival and actually letting him win, causing Ash's sole victory over said abusive rival to be only achieved through plot armor, not skill like it should have been. Ash literally changing his mind about said rival for no reason whatsoever. Brock leaving for good.

BW- The reset of Ash's intelligence and TRio being super-serious.

XY- Ash's League loss despite his hypercompetence and of course that whole romance angle with Serena

SM- Ahhhh! The artstyle changed! It's terrible! Wait, everything else got better? And the artstyle shift only affected Ash, Jessie, and James?

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
OS - We can eat Magikarp! / The day Ash recognized he was 11 before he got younger back to 10.
AG - I read Puss in Boots and all I got was these boots. / Ash's pity league to win.
DP - Ash's glory days done right.
BW - What the actual **** happened here?
XY - Ash's fake glory days / Absolute Hero Ash / Serena's Tribulations in Awful Show Business (Spoiler: The Pokegirl Still Loses) / Big & Reliable Noivern / Ash's Stalking Rival Fanboys: Starring Alain / Orange Giant Shuriken Hype Blues / Ash VS. The Legendary Giant Rock (real title) / BLASTO BURNO!!!
SM - Ash's Bloopers.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
OS: Little did the writers know that this would be the birth of a plethora of jokes that'd become a dead horse deal soon. Also nostalgic for older fans.

AG: The start of infuriating League losses. Also why tf did they rename Misty? They even gave her a Fire type starter and a younger brother as a cruel joke! Also more Kanto fanservice

DP: Ash actually got a rivalry worth noting even if it costed him to lose ever so frequently. An iconic League for reasons both good and bad. Also the last in consistent continuity.

BW: They're as bad as the games. Wait: the games are actually good. Is the anime good? Nah. They not only renamed Misty and made her scared of Ice types now, but now Brock is a green haired perfectionist! Gen 1 was the good old days, I tell you. Oh, look Charizard! Our savior has arrived. TF is that League tho

XY: You'll either fine it an echo chamber of how Ash is finally mature and he totally should've stayed with Serena or an echo chamber of how much Ash has as much personality as drying paint and is being smothered by his entourage of admirers that is the Kalos region. No matter who you ask, they'll most likely love the Flare Arc: the one thing the anime did right that GameFreak didn't. Oh, and the League that has charred frog with a size of salt.

SM: Did they really dumb down Ash again?! And he's in school now? Too late for that. Ugh. Misty and Brock won't save you this time. This has been Filler: The Electric Boogaloo

Origins & Generations: See this is what the anime should be. Get rid of Ash, make it more edgy, and *insert 20 year olds ranting over a kids show mean to entice them into buying the games*

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
OS: Pity badges galore (at least in Kanto), also had some of the most memorable COTDs.

AG: What did you do with the voices of our characters?

DP: The series that gave Ash his best rival, shame the DEM that is Tobias had to ruin Ash’s league run. Also the series where Brock has long overstayed his welcome.

BW: You just had to smack Ash with the nerf bat, did you?

XY: Perhaps the shining star in the Pokemon anime, shame Alain had to rob Ash of his league win. At least it did Team Flare justice who were lackluster in the games.

SM: The series that split the fanbase in two, you get fans liking the more cartoony vibe and been able to deal with more serious topics and fans annoyed with it not continuing the trend set by XY.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
OS-Misty, arrogant and hotheaded Ash, and actually funny Brock and Team Rocket
AG-Harley and Drew, Battle Frontier (should have been Ashs last series)
DP-Dawn being more of a main character than Ash
BW-Ash reset, cool Dragon girl Iris, great bgm
XY-Ash overgorification series, secondhand contests, awful fillers
SM-Ash getting hurt series (and it's entertaining), Lillie and her comedic moments, entertaining classmates

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
OS: Best traveling group, hilarious banter between Brock, Ash and Misty, Team Rocket at their best, Ash being a cocky brat and a noob trainer, Charizard being a dick.

AG: Ash showing signs of growing up, OMG why did Misty get replaced, unbearable little sibling, battles getting better, Ash's best achievement till date as a trainer, fanservice of seeing Kanto and reserves returning.

DP: The peak series (to many), best developed female companion, best rivalry in series resulting in the best battle seen in the whole anime series, Ash showing four regions worth of experience, terrible fillers, infamous 50 episodes gap between 7th and 8th gym battle, walking plot hax with Tobias, and the end of an era with Brock's departure for good.

BW: Pikachu's infamous loss to a starter Snivy, infamous reset of Ash, terrible companions, underdeveloped and weak Pokémon used by Ash, DEM galore, worst character seen yet, and even worse being the loss to him in the league, awful poor man version of Gary/Paul as a rival, desperate fanservice seen with Dawn, and especially Charizard's returns which served no purpose.

XY: Also considered the peak season of the anime. Ash gets the recognition and respect after 6 regions of traveling, most shoenen series of the anime. Ash at his peak as a trainer, the start of a ship that is closest to canon, great personal development for said female companion, amazing art style and animation for battles, Ash Greninja and Ash going neck to neck with a champion, salt galore after league loss, and amazing villain plot that trumps the game version by far.

SM: Again a total 180 from the previous series, slapstick and cringe faces galore, no more traveling, Ash apparently goes to school now, Ash and the overall art style looking weird as heck, too many companions, with half of them being deadweight, infamous for rushing through plots (like Akala, and AF), and too cartoony and goofy in tone.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
OS: Best traveling group, hilarious banter between Brock, Ash and Misty, Team Rocket at their best, Ash being a cocky brat and a noob trainer, Charizard being a dick.

AG: Ash showing signs of growing up, OMG why did Misty get replaced, unbearable little sibling, battles getting better, Ash's best achievement till date as a trainer, fanservice of seeing Kanto and reserves returning.

DP: The peak series (to many), best developed female companion, best rivalry in series resulting in the best battle seen in the whole anime series, Ash showing four regions worth of experience, terrible fillers, infamous 50 episodes gap between 7th and 8th gym battle, walking plot hax with Tobias, and the end of an era with Brock's departure for good.

BW: Pikachu's infamous loss to a starter Snivy, infamous reset of Ash, terrible companions, underdeveloped and weak Pokémon used by Ash, DEM galore, worst character seen yet, and even worse being the loss to him in the league, awful poor man version of Gary/Paul as a rival, desperate fanservice seen with Dawn, and especially Charizard's returns which served no purpose.

XY: Also considered the peak season of the anime. Ash gets the recognition and respect after 6 regions of traveling, most shoenen series of the anime. Ash at his peak as a trainer, the start of a ship that is closest to canon, great personal development for said female companion, amazing art style and animation for battles, Ash Greninja and Ash going neck to neck with a champion, salt galore after league loss, and amazing villain plot that trumps the game version by far.

SM: Again a total 180 from the previous series, slapstick and cringe faces galore, no more traveling, Ash apparently goes to school now, Ash and the overall art style looking weird as heck, too many companions, with half of them being deadweight, infamous for rushing through plots (like Akala, and AF), and too cartoony and goofy in tone.

Well said you said it all what was in my mind on pretty much most things but I want to add some points-

OS: I think this ash was savage with his sarcastic comments especially in kanto
AG: Misty got replaced with much better main girl who had her own arc and wasn't the background character
BW: Good companions who bear the consequences of poor writing
SM: Too much slapstick comedy and those awkward faces are just weird.

With you 100% on XY and DP.

Hanto

Water Addiction
AG: contests, Sceptile, THUNDER ARMOR, actually cool battles in Battle Frontier
DP: deep story, Paul, second protagonist (Dawn), background Brock
BW: actually great (but unfinished) rivalries, cool tournaments, stupid Iris-shaming, TR VS TS (R.I.P.)
XY: Greninja, Alain, Serena and Clemont doing absolutely nothing
SM: rashed plot arcs, girl are not allowed to battle, the most undeserving evolution (Tsareena), scrapped stupid comedy episodes with UBs, no Guzma. And no proper Trial Captains and Totem battles

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
OS: Pity badges, disobedient red lizard and roast master Ash
AG: The first "no Misty" series, contests and Battle Frontier
DP: Ash-Paul rivarly, best girl Dawn and Trollbias
BW: Ash's reset, "You're such a kid!" and the TR vs TP that never happened
XY: Ash-Greninja, Amourshipping and 18 August 2016
SM: More slapstick, "No! Ash is ugly!" and no travelling

D

Deleted member 384931

Lol why all the hate for SM? BW looks good if I hear the comments.
OS: Ash as a noob trainer. Brock and Misty with pokémon without any personality.
AG: Sceptile, Contests, BF, Charizard defeating an Articuno.
DP: Ash coming up with more stratagies.Dawn was decent. Togekiss wasnt deserved.
BW: Nothing
XY: Ash gets kissed, Kalos League,TF, many emotions.
SM: Having a pokémon learning a move in a tree like what? Only using Lycanrock and Pikachu. Rushed arcs.