• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think each Series did best?

AZ-the-I-don't-even-know

You have expectations? Sir, this is Pokémon.
Maybe I was a bit unclear. By "since", I mean after Dawn. Serena is not the greatest or most original character, but I feel that people often turn to her when talking about the positives of XY as a series.

AuraChannelerChris

"I'll punch you in the throat!"

Zweilous

Go becomes Pidove (Catching)
OS: The humor. It's fun, weird and bold without being obnoxious. The dub really helped here because it added some solid, sarcastic jokes.

AG: Probably had the most entertaining o Contest stories. May and her rivals bounced off each other so well, and the whole Contest set-up became one of my favorite storylines.

DP: Battle strategies.

BW: Group dynamics. Most groups felt horribly unbalanced, but Ash/Cilan/Iris all had great dynamics with each other and as a group. Itis and Cilan were sidekicks, but they both got a good amount of focus and had a lot of work put into fleshing them out.

XY: Fingernails, I miss them. But aside from that, they had the most developed villain storyline this anime has ever seen. It's weird how they took one of the worst villain stories in the franchise, and just course-corrected them into something really good.

SM: Best supporting cast. We had a lot of recurring faces, with their own storirs and connections to the main cast. Alola feels tight-knit and familial because of it.

JN: Continuity, especially regarding past characters. I don't think this should even be a feature of JN, this is how the anime SHOULD handle its past characters from now on. On top of that, all these returning characters, and even Ash, are treated with such respect.

EDIT: My kids say that Journeys has the best Pokemon cries. They're obsessed with UNO LA LA LA.

Jeal

Maybe I was a bit unclear. By "since", I mean after Dawn. Serena is not the greatest or most original character, but I feel that people often turn to her when talking about the positives of XY as a series.
Serena's arc had potential, but the writers didn't seem to like her for some reason. It's amazing how badly she was treated considering the fact that she's the female player. Early AG gave May a decent focus and Dawn was the star of early DP, but early XY gave no relevant focus to Serena.

But worst of all was that they gave a special episode to random characters instead of an episode of her in Hoenn like they did with the past girls and Clemont and Bonnie.

RafaSceptile

OS: Originality and realism in comparison to the real world
AG: Use of reserves and exploration of 2 regions in the same series
DP: Ash's rivals and the best development for a female character during the series
BW: Team Rocket being serious
XY: Battle coreography and 3D camera
SM: Supporting characters and the Alola League
JN: Continuity

satopi

Go’s Scizor needs to Hassam better episodes:/
But aside from that, they had the most developed villain storyline this anime has ever seen.
You thought that the Team Flare storyline was better than Team Plasma? I guess if we put into consideration the Mega Evolution Special Acts, I could kinda see but I don’t know, Team Plasma and Hunter J can get it.

Zweilous

Go becomes Pidove (Catching)
You thought that the Team Flare storyline was better than Team Plasma? I guess if we put into consideration the Mega Evolution Special Acts, I could kinda see but I don’t know, Team Plasma and Hunter J can get it.
Colress alone was great, but the rest of Team Plasma barely did anything. The story from the games was glossed over and the story had much lower stakes and tension. I really wish we got the unaired BW episodes, because those few seconds we saw in the trailers looked amazing.

BlueDragonfangirl

Serena's arc had potential, but the writers didn't seem to like her for some reason. It's amazing how badly she was treated considering the fact that she's the female player. Early AG gave May a decent focus and Dawn was the star of early DP, but early XY gave no relevant focus to Serena.

But worst of all was that they gave a special episode to random characters instead of an episode of her in Hoenn like they did with the past girls and Clemont and Bonnie.
Eh It took till Journey’s for Iris to get her cameo.

Yzma

OS: I think Season 1 has the best comedy. There is only one Kanto episode I don't enjoy.

AG: Contests (in the Battle frontier season) and the use of reserves.

DP: I don't really think DP is best at anything. I don't think its the worst at anything either, its just not my favorite in any way.

BW: Giovanni. I also think Cilain is probably my favorite male Ash travel companion.

XYZ: Serena is my favorite of Ash's female travel companions. Alain was Ash's best league roadblock, and I think Flare had the best villain arc in the anime.

SM: while I think OS has overall the best humor, Bewear is the single funniest character in the show. I love that pink panda.

JN: I guess continuity, could be my favorite in more ways depending on the future episodes.

DatsRight

OS: Comedy, especially the dub that peaked around Orange Islands and early Johto and never really recovered. Team Rocket felt their most relevent here due to their backstories and interactions with the twerps, while later series can't shake them feeling like third wheels. The more cynical take on a Pokemon universe.

AG: There's not a lot really stand out in this series for me since later series refined on it, though I suppose it did at least start all that stuff. Also kinda like the slightly more savvy Ash in this series that was on to some of the formula tricks and completely DONE with Team Rocket.

DP: As mentioned took a lot of AG's ideas and refined them. Dawn probably had the best competition arc after Ash. Team Rocket WINNING stuff at last and being good at non-villainous agendas.

BW: While it came at the cost of their personalities, Team Rocket being a threat at last was rather cathartic. Nice to see them regularly putting up eventful fights instead of the exact same beating over and over. Helps they weren't in every episode anymore too. Even when they went back to comedic they maintained a layer of challenge to them and weren't as repetitive. Also Giovanni and the organization itself FINALLY got to be an arc villain. Iris' Dragonite SUBVERTING the plot armour formula by having fluke wins called out. The companions getting equal screentime.

XY: Badass Wobbuffet in the early episodes. Jessie's performer arc getting a nice send off. Meowth being competent in the showcases was a nice change. Cinematic animation. The sort of superheroish vibes of some episodes.

SM: Fun interactions and dynamics. Downplay of formula and plot armour climaxes in favour of cases Ash had AGENCY and driven a story by his own personality. Unconventional Pokemon getting loveable personalities and plenty screentime. Building a consistent backdrop and supporting cast. Ash WINNING the league and multiple other development moments in said league. Team Rocket actually having ongoing storylines. The male companions NOT getting sidelined.

JN: Further downplay of formula. Tons of character returns and call backs to previous series giving some sort of gratification for fans watching long term and connecting to old faces.