• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think each Series did best?

OS- humor
AG- English dub openings (and Battle Frontier and Ash’s Team)
DP- rivals, writing
BW- Oshawott
XY- romance, art style, gym battles, companions
SM- supporting characters and TRio
JN- showing off Pokemon

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
OS - Humor, character interactions, and world building
AG - Usage of Reserves, battles, and continuity
DP -female co-star, Ash's main rival and the writing, battles
BW - Iris calling Ash a kid
XY - cant think of any tbh
SM - Lillie and less of Team Rocket
JN - redemption of Serena from how she was handled in XY

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
OS: World building, humor, emotional scenes, being memorable and beloved

AG: Usage of reserves, Contest/Battle buildup, Battle Frontier, Story continuation, balanced Ash

DP: Story continuation, writing, emotional scenes, Battles/Contests, Villain team and their arc, Dawn, character backstory, competent Ash, best character returns (May & Gary)

BW: Humor, character interactions, proper usage of the TRio, fillers, JP openings & endings (the absolute best ones to date!), Ash as a character, Dawn’s return

XY: Battle animation, Alan, Ash-Greninja, false hope

SM: Animation in general, fillers, character interactions, regional setting/atmosphere (like showing off how bright, colorful, and exciting Alola is), proper usage of the TRio, Ash in general, Delia

JN: Continuity callbacks, Ash in general, Koharu, Serena, important battles and it’s animation, being boring

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Kanto- Emotional and sense of humor, I guess they could get away with a lot more back than? I really enjoyed the Ash/Team Rocket stuff.

Orange Island-Same as above but they are connected in a way so.

Johto-I liked the Pokémon Ash caught, Ash using his head in this league.

AG- The start of developing a lead female character, her rivalry with Drew was fun. Introducing contests and you still had continuity between the original series. You still saw the likes of Tracey at times :(

I liked how mature Ash got, he was like a mentor to May and Max.

DP- I liked this more than AG actually, I really liked Pearlshipping, Ash/Paul’s rivalry was peak in my opinion. Best league, Ash did an amazing job.

Contests was pretty cool, while Dawn’s rivals we’re less fun compared to May’s I did find it neat that Ash did get to participate in one.

BW- Uh let’s see, i liked Dent’s character and his friendship with Ash, Ash at least kept in character, unique animation.

XY-Aahhh My favorite, I loved the animation, this is my absolute favorite group, i liked all the characters. I adore Serena character and Ash x Serena the team Flare arc.

Uh only down side, they set up the league like he was going to win than, while I like Alan’s character felt random that he joined the league and won???

Sun and Moon-Uh, I guess I liked Ash interactions with the girls and his sort of father like figure, it was sweet. I like that Ash won a league, I’m confused if I should consider it real or not.

Journey- ??? I’m trying my best to think about this.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
OS: Comedy, Group dynamic, Disobedient Pokémon plot, Brock, Ash himself, TRio, Conclusion to a series
AG: Reserves, Continuity, Rivals for main girl, Best new goal for the female lead
DP: Ash's rivals, Story, League, Abused Pokémon story, Character return (even if she lost to Dawn, grr)
BW: Giovanni (he did something for once)
XY: Battles, Animation, Art style, Hype, Villain arc, Main girl, OP (IkuZ!), Younger sibling character
SM: The relationships between Ash's Pokémon
JN: Giving Ash a 'fanservice' team? Does that count?

If the other areas seem sparse or poorly thought-out, it's because I spent most of my brain power looking for something that JN was 'best' at (other than disappointing me and making me dislike certain Pokémon)

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
OS: Humor, giving a more realistic and developed look at how a world full of Pokémon would function, making you want to cheer on Ash, cast’s dynamics

AG: Ash developing into a knowledgeable trainer while remembering that he’s still a child, giving the main girl a goal, world building, battles, reserves

DP: Story, incorporating a mix of game and original material, using the source material’s cast, battles, rivalries, writing, music, strategy, every MC having personal growth for their dreams, each Pokémon added to the team, movies.

BW: humor, group dynamic, using the supporting cast, (most) arcs.

XY: Battles, tension, character moments, hype (for the most part lol), build up (again, for the most part lol), scenery, music.

SM: atmosphere, thematic storytelling, rivalries, foreshadowing, emotional moments, pay off, using the cast consistently, music

JN: continuity, fan service, making up for missed opportunities, filler.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
OS-Humor
AG-Provided multiple regions that was travelled like GSCHGSS did
DP-Creating and expanding new ways to use moves like Counter Shield and Ice Aqua Jet
BW- The humor and group dynamic
XY- Mega evolution specials
SM- Ash was really loveable and I appreciate his genuine love for Alola, his classmates and Burnet and Kukui
JN-TBA

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
OS - Humor
Johto - Battles
AG - Character Dynamics, I guess?
DP - Almost Everything
BW - The Don Tourneys (ignoring the fact Ash was a loser in all of them)
XY - If you tilt your head, the Team Flare arc was so hilarious in a bad way.
SM - No Comment
Journeys - ...No, really, much less so of a comment here.
SM- Ash was really loveable and I appreciate his genuine love for Alola, his classmates and Burnet and Kukui
Ash loves damn everything and everyone he meets who don't make him frown. This isn't new.

Though it's just a bit intensified in Alola just because the writers forced him to live with a whole lot of people (whom most were migrated to Melemele Island, except Kiawe, who had to coooooooonstantly come from Akala Island every morning as no other island has a volcano for him to revere).

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I will admit, every saga after DP gotten better and better at maintaining a mountain of salt created by dedicated viewers.

BW started it, XY enhanced it, and JN is climbing it. I now look forward to what the next saga brings to the table for us to complain about.
Let’s go

BW- Ash’s reset, Ash being defeated by Cameron, Iris catching Dragonite, DA and being a filler season, Alder not using his ace and the list goes on

XY- Ash’s personality, Serena’s goal and crush, Greninja’s special shrunken never being used again, Greninja leaving and Ash’s lost in the Kalos league

SM- SM not having a “real league”, complaints about Mallow, the slapstick comedy, Lillie being a “spoiled brat” and Melemele island being the home base

JN- Goh’s goal and catching a legendary, Ash being included in Goh’s goal a lot, Chloe being an “Eevee taxi”, Iris becoming Champion, Ash’s battle against Darsna and Ash barely training his Pokémon enough

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
What world building? It didn't even bother to make new filler towns. The second half of Poni Island is not even given the light of day, and I'm pretty sure they replaced Ten Carat Hill for something else.
I do agree but I think he meant in terms of Ash being forced to stay put and establishing a home base. We did see a ton of Melemele Island, whereas the other islands were kind of neglected. Like seeing everyday people like the old market lady or someone like Mallow strolling by to help/give out advice and experiencing the traditions of Alola rather than reading about it. They really only went out of Melemele mainly for missions (or Kiawe’s house I guess.) It’s a bit endearing and a nice change of pace having Alola have that cozy, small town feel. I felt like the setting for the most part, was a lot more vibrant. I’d still take seeing an Alolan Exeggutor wandering the streets over a plain forest.

And I disagree about Ash loving everyone and everything that doesn’t make him frown. He certainly didn’t like Nanu. It’s been emphasized that Ash feels a strong connection towards Alola and it’s way of life simply because it’s value system reflects his character and moral compass. Alola gave Ash stability and a different way of life that he wasn’t accustomed to (and he wasn’t forced to live with Kukui (and later on Burnet). Delia asked permission that Kukui watch over Ash and take care of him.) Alola was different from the regions that Ash traveled through because there was that enhanced lifestyle that Pokémon and humans lived amongst each other. The episode of Mallow being mentored by Oranguru is a great example of this.

Last edited:
Original series: Set up Pokémon, the world, everything.
Ruby and Sapphire (known as Advanced Generation for whatever reason): Gave a part to female characters, which has sadly not been as well done since.
Diamond and Pearl: Probably the best in terms of Ash growing - his Pokémon, as well as the Sinnoh league.
Black and White: More unique, some aspects of it could be cool.
XY: The battles and animation were the most fun here. (Notice how I purposely left Serena out of this one.)
Sun and Moon: The story overall. Team Rocket peaked here.
Journeys: The continuity with past series is something that has been missed in the past few series. Most of it appears a small purpose, which is neat. Again, this series is not yet done, so judging may be a bit unfair.

DatsRight

I do agree but I think he meant in terms of Ash being forced to stay out and establishing a home base. We did see a ton of Melemele Island, whereas the other islands were kind of neglected. Like seeing everyday people like the old market lady or someone like Mallow strolling by to help/give out advice and experiencing the traditions of Alola rather than reading about it. They really only went out of Melemele mainly for missions (or Kiawe’s house I guess.) It’s a bit endearing and a nice change of pace having Alola have that cozy, small town feel. I felt like the setting for the most part, was a lot more vibrant. I’d still take seeing an Alolan Exeggutor wandering the streets over a plain forest.

And I disagree about Ash loving everyone and everything that doesn’t make him frown. He certainly didn’t like Nanu. It’s been emphasized that Ash feels a strong connection towards Alola and it’s way of life simply because it’s value system reflects his character and moral compass. Alola gave Ash stability and a different way of life that he wasn’t accustomed to (and he wasn’t forced to live with Kukui (and later on Burnet). Delia asked permission that Kukui watch over Ash and take care of him.) Alola was different from the regions that Ash traveled through because there was that enhanced lifestyle that Pokémon and humans lived amongst each other. The episode of Mallow being mentored by Oranguru is a great example of this.
I think while SM could have rounded things better, it worked in terms of developing an actual universe that is breathed in properly instead of a fleeting bunch of forests and towns that almost blend into each other like most other series. Even the other towns that were just one offs I feel were more developed and distinct one offs than some of the other key towns that got as much focus in other regions.

I think it worked to have Ash have a passion for a region that he was forced to stand still and bask in all it had rather than just rush through and have a quick sight see, something I feel was becoming an increasing issue in previous series. I feel I can actually miss the Alola series because I remember a lot of its universe and characters that inhabited it.

I also love how Alola is a total antithesis of Kanto in terms of ethics and attitudes. It really made it work as the end game for Ash's league arc.

Jeal

XY: The battles and animation were the most fun here. (Notice how I purposely left Serena out of this one.)
What you mean? You didn't mention any of the other girls(ok, May indirectly). Nothing special about Serena being "left out".

And you really thought Dawn was not made well?

Maybe I was a bit unclear. By "since", I mean after Dawn. Serena is not the greatest or most original character, but I feel that people often turn to her when talking about the positives of XY as a series.