• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think each series did worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Okay.....we'll TRY and do this one without it devolving into a generic hate thread. We had the best of each series, what do you think was handled worst?

To try and maintain this as constructive, I'm going to put emphasis on only mentioning series that do an element WORST. So if there was a problem recurrent in many series, you can only state it for one particular series with reasoning why it suffered the most for it.

I'll start by listing down examples for one series, and then get back to others when I've thought them all through.

* Mean spirited characterisation. This mostly got refined after Kanto, but I feel like the early OS really suffered from trying to whitewash Shudo's far more cynical route for the show. In his original plans, a lot of characters and authority figures were frustrated, abrasive and insecure jerks, but often for sympathetic reasons that the Pokemon trainer occupation was a total lemon, while the show takes out a lot of these factors for obvious reasons, making a lot of characters rude and critical.....just because (eg. gym leaders got FIRED if they lost to too many trainers, in the show this stipulation is gone and they are just dismissive to competitors for no reason). The whitewashing also sometimes lends to broken morals or trying to skew the mean spirited supporting cast as being in right while Ash is wrong. Ash IS a bigger jerk in this series, but it's not like the not-Ash side isn't either. Misty in particular sometimes falls into rather unsympathetic territory due to rarely being made accountable for her hypocritical quirks, especially due to the factors stated below.

* Total repetition: While I think Kanto and Orange Islands do okay in spite of more random filler heavy plots, Johto is clearly where the main formula started to take over, and it had very few arcs or development moments to compensate for it compared to later series. Even worse it lasted a whole three years, as long as most full series do now.

* Worst for companion development: It goes without saying that Brock and Misty barely got ANYTHING in their original run, especially Johto. In fact they probably got MORE development in their handful of one off reappearances than the whole OS series. Their Pokemon are barely spotlighted compared to Ash's and they are rarely seen bonding or training them, lacking any particular ongoing activity to keep them proactive. Misty got the Whirl Cup, but a very brief last minute competition, and she still ended up relying on her old running gags like Psyduck over using the rest of her team properly. I think this ties especially bad for Misty due to the first factor I mentioned, Misty is Ash's biggest critic, and yet gets away with not training her own team AT ALL. They even make a point that she tried training them all of once and then rage quit.

It gets so bad in Johto that Brock and Misty are barely even involved in minor situations like Team Rocket or COTD dilemmas, basically being a greek chorus most of the time. It's like the writers want to forget they even exist (Ash in fact only does the bare minimum in some Johto episodes, the region almost runs like a Road Runner cartoon with Team Rocket a lot of the time).

Last edited:

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
OS - Male companion. Gym battles. Character development for anyone not named Ash.
AG - League and sidekick.
DP - Fillers.
BW - League and like 30 other things.
XY - Filler, league, rivals.
SM - Aether arc, league, exploring the game world.
JN - TBD

brock was the worst male companion. Total pervert in OS. Who thought it was a good thing to make him a skirt chaser, I'll never know. Slapped a goal on him in the end of DP in his grand total of three episodes to throw him in the bin. OS was supposed to end after the first season so not sure whether having character arcs for all people was even their aim in the first place. Gym battles were, like the show, in their infantcy so probably not a very profound flaw.

Hoenn league was yawwwwwwn. One good battle in Vs Katie and some nonsense with Morrison and Tyson. I guess Meowth in Boots was cool. Why was Max even ?

DP did not need to be 190 episodes. It was fun but not something I'd ever be able to watch all episodes of. Although it's the most consistent season.

BW was okay but I really can not care about anything other than the main group chemistry.

Bad league, skipped straight to the semi finals. Two great 6v6's but does not justify skipping over the entire league stage. Ditto for fillers with DP. Didn't like Serena's rivals as rivals. I thought

Not going to repeat my feelings about Aether. Waste of 17 episodes with just two good battles (One if you think Kukui was outisde the league). Miss me the "It WaS aBoUt ChAraCtErS!!!" I think a third of the alola characters are terrible who I can't bring myself to care about. If you do, good for you. Think other people have raised the point of nt exploring the game world better than I would.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
OS - pitty badges
AG - no rival for Ash
DP - perfect
BW - Cameron
XY - perfect
SM - failed at everything and in being a Pokemon series in my opinion. High school musical the toddlers version
JN - failed at world building, everything feels random and un connected

Bendicion

Water Master
In the AG series May suffered from bad writing, its a shame really. Yeah she had a goal I guess but the execution of the Hoenn contest were rather bad. Way too many CotD characters that played a one time rival like Kaito Dusclops and Medicham-chan. Goodbye and good riddance. We have been getting much better girls since she left to be honest. Its absolutely laughable how these writers expect me to believe that a baby Squirtle beating Harley in battle is excellent? And it just happens to have an uncontrollably powerful Ice Beam attack. Okay. The writers could've cut some of those dreadful Hoenn filler episodes for some Squirtle training but that was too much for them I suppose.

Trillion

OS KANTO - battles in general. but more specifically gyms and the league. ash only legitimately earned like half of the badges and the kanto league still holds the crown as the absolute worst

OS JOHTO - filler... to be fair, johto as a region is boring as hell, but still. the filler didn't have to be that bad lol

AG - ash rivals. AG was my first series so i have a lot of nostalgia for it, but looking back - morrison and tyson were very forgettable when compared to the rivals that came after. i liked may's rivals though

DP - legit can't think of anything. it's my favorite series

BW - ash's competence. it was so bad i stopped watching the anime after shortly after the second badge and didn't start watching again until xy. i eventually watched the rest of bw in like 2017 lol

XY - can't think of anything. second favorite series
EDIT: continuity. it was nonexistent. one mention of dawn's piplup and a possible allusion to ash's sceptile was all we got

SM - nothing comes to mind. i enjoyed SM

JN - pokemon interaction. it took until 2022 for them to even begin to get it right. better late than never i guess

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
OS-Indigo League, Johto fillers
AG-fillers
DP-fillers, Team Rocket
BW-Ash's reset, Unova League, Team Plasma, etc.
XY-everything especially Ash, its unredeemable imo.
SM-fillers, too many characters in the main cast
Pokemon 2019-almost everything, but the erratic pacing, fillers, and hypebait episodes are the worst.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I predict this is gonna be a very calm and peaceful thread where we can respectfully point out the things we didn't like about certain series, without blowing certain flaws and nitpicks way out of proportion to make them seem worse than they really are, or people getting overly defensive at someone pointing out flaws with something they personally liked.

Yeah, I'm absolutely certain nothing of this sort will happen at all.

Bendicion

Water Master
The recurrent problem with May is how often she relied on dumb luck or random boosts she had no real control over. She had an effort to give her an arc but as mentioned her contests tended to not be very well developed, and she also relied on spamming or plot armour a lot of the time over well choreographed battles. Also AG wasn't super terrific either with supporting roles , she had an alright bond with Ash at times but otherwise tended to fade into the background (sidelined with Brock and Max) unless it was a focus episode for her. The biggest exception seemed to be her high tendency to get kidnapped or put in peril. Even the Manaphy movie, which felt like her limelight movie, ended up with Ash saving her and May failing to have much actual agency. Going from this to establishing Dawn's contests correctly right at the start of DP really was Tomioka making sure to do things right next time.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
The recurrent problem with May is how often she relied on dumb luck or random boosts she had no real control over. She had an effort to give her an arc but as mentioned her contests tended to not be very well developed, and she also relied on spamming or plot armour a lot of the time over well choreographed battles. Also AG wasn't super terrific either with supporting roles , she had an alright bond with Ash at times but otherwise tended to fade into the background (sidelined with Brock and Max) unless it was a focus episode for her. The biggest exception seemed to be her high tendency to get kidnapped or put in peril. Even the Manaphy movie, which felt like her limelight movie, ended up with Ash saving her and May failing to have much actual agency. Going from this to establishing Dawn's contests correctly right at the start of DP really was Tomioka making sure to do things right next time.
Pretty sure you could just put all this in one post, rather than making three about the same character.

BlueDragonfangirl

Kanto- Too much mean spirited humor, Misty and Brock treated Ash like crap a lot of the times, did not appreciate that. I prefer Misty’s characterization in orange island better.

AG-May got a few cheat wins with her battles, some that peeved me off. No interesting rivals for Ash.

DP- Boring rivals for Dawn, caused me to be less interested in her contest compared to May’s who had guys like Drew and Harley. Hunter J arc conclusion, I expected a much more exciting one than that.

BW-Weird animation change, who Ash lost to in the league, Trip, Iris calling Ash a kid, her winning a fight with an uncontrolled dragonite.

XY-While it’s my most favorite series, Alan coming out of no where deciding to join and win the league.

Sun and Moon-Not traveling, staying in one spot an entire series got boring to me, no league or gyms. I‘d say how Ash looked especially after you saw XY Ash, eh you get used to it.

Journey’s- Too many to name, it beats out Sun and Moon series as least favorite, Ash’s battles to be in the master 8 off screen LOL. No Ash rival to give Ash that drive just a lot of no one’s. Ash catching pokemon people wanted him to catch decades ago instead of giving him new one’s fans wanted him to. Goh catching every Pokémon and not having an actual gos till half way through. Chloe just being an Eevee advertisement now, her confusing relationship with Ash. I’ll see how Ash being in the Masters 8 goes.

OS- Jigglypuff. Also Kanto gym battles.
AG- Brock’s Marshtomp getting shafted, May’s Contest, Torkoal and Glalie getting shafted, and no main rivals for Ash
DP- Torterra being treated so badly and never getting a single win
BW- Unova League, Ash vs Elesa, Decolore
XY- Goodras release. False hype. Kalos League. Serena not dancing with Ash. Ash-Greninja being a waste in the end. Lack of continuity.
SM- Ash. Alola League. Rowlet. Ash catching legendaries. 10MV stupid DEM. Filler.
JN- Ash’s wins being cheap. Ash. Ash-Lucario. Reserve bait. The return of 10MV. Greninja being used as bait (for now). Filler.

RafaSceptile

AG: Making Contests very plot armoured
DP: Not adding the Sinnoh Battle Froniter
BW: The Unova League
XY: Character Interactions being very Ash-centered
SM: It's second yeah having almost nothing relevant outside of Ula-Ula
JN: Inconsistency quality, more than any previous series

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
OS: No character development for anyone that wasn’t Ash, battles suck

Johto: Anything of relevance barely happened, boring, Tracey replacing Brock

AG: Max, Torkoal and Glalie getting shafted, Chimeocho having to leave, DEM Thunder Armor, TPCi taking over the dub, Team Magma/Aqua being forgettable

DP: Filler hell, Turtwig getting shafted and humiliated after evolving (especially learning Rock Climb), the TRio appearing almost every episode and being an annoying joke every time they blasted off, Ambipom being released, boring training episodes, anything that has to do with Roark. His episodes were BORING!

BW: Battles, recycled animation, questionable writing involving certain battles, battle rotations, Axew getting lost episodes, most episodes of DA!, handling of rivalries, cancellation of TR vs TP 2 parter and handling of N arc, Ash battling reset

XY: Everything but the battles in the later half of XY(&Z), clickbait hell, character arcs, Ash, desertion of the Ash-Pikachu bond, the TRio being worse than they were in DP (in DP, they served a purpose and were still entertaining. Here, they were nothing but a nuisance outside of their brief spotlight scene in the Team Flare arc), constant Ash simping

SM: Handling of Hau, too much characters in the main cast, PAD’s nitpicks/overreaction to the smallest things happening in this saga

JN: Extremely boring, Go catching almost every Pokémon with one throw, Wanpachi being shafted for overused Eevee

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Out of the series that I've watched/know enough about and with actual relative comparisons on what they did worst compared to other series I've seen instead of just a hate fiesta:

DP: I haven't watched the series since I was a kid, so I don't really recall what it has done "the worst" compared to other series. Most things I was trying to think of, it either does the best, or it just doesn't do the worst. I guess maybe the length, since the 190 episodes is definitely deterring me from even trying to watch it again lol.

BW: The way Ash was eliminated from the league is atrocious compared to the other leagues.
  • Kanto: Ash just sucked, so it's understandable
  • Johto: Lost to a dude who lost the League because Ash did enough damage. Respectable
  • Hoenn: Lost to the dude who won. Respectable
  • Sinnoh: Lost to a cheater, but he was the only one to beat one of the cheatermons. Respectable
  • Kalos: Lost to the dude who won and was shown to be potentially E4 level. Respectable even if it kinda sucked story-wise
  • Unova: Lost to an idiot in a 6v5 which was really a 6v3. Pathetic showing after Sinnoh.
XY: I think Ash's character was probably the weakest here. A bit over the top in terms of stoic-ness and he feels very much more like a lightning rod for others to follow him, as opposed to an actual character (inb4 people cherry-pick scenes from 5 episodes out the 140-episode series). The other series give him a more multi-faceted personality IMO - I think DP and SM did this much better than XY.

SM: Artstyle easily. I still don't like how Ash looks in SM. I preferred the artstyle from BW-XY the most, then OS-DP, then whatever they have going on now. Even so, I think JN Ash is a better idea of what Ash should've looked like in SM.

JN: I'm only a battle-watcher + a few other episodes, but I think the music honestly has been fairly mid compared to the other series I've seen. DP music was pretty good, XY is fantastic, and out of the bits of SM I've seen, the music use was at least better than in JN. Music is a big part of my enjoyment so this isn't a small flaw IMO.

DatsRight

Okay I'll get back to a couple more lists:

AG:
* Team Rocket's misery: Let me clarify here. I feel like AG is where TR's usual jobber/butt monkey status goes from the usual sometimes funny/sometimes monotonous to borderline depressing. This is the start of the trio's nuances from the OS starting to fade out with nothing extra put in their place just yet. They're just full time losers in this series, and it sticks out more when it is still calling back to past characters and their development and the trio have nothing. Nearly every new key character exists as a 'superior' version of them (eg. Meowth in Boots, Harley), they have yet to start winning contests this saga, even when Jessie does get legitmately better, and generally every dynamic tends to revolve around them being the bottom of the chain. They also tend to get the most gratuitous beatings this series, sometimes getting brutualized long after they've quit or take a lot longer to blast off (I think Johto started this but they were at least usually at their most aggravating and lowdown in those cases, AG gets them a melee beatdown just for appearing when the cast are in a bad mood sometimes). Even the attempts to make TR more one note comical jerks to balance it don't really help, and make their roles sometimes feel more painful and cringeworthy than funny.

* Lack of karma: By contrast, weirdly nearly all the non-TRio villains in AG rarely get their comeuppance at all. Like they don't get what they want, but if they're not a butt monkey as their prime characteristic like the trio are, they usually tend to lack any sort of satisfying punishment. Harley is never punished or even loses popularity for bullying May or flat out cheating in contests, Team Aqua and Magma members just sort of vanish, the Poacher that cost Jessie and James their beloved Arbok and Weezing is never really elaborated on, even several one off petty jerks are enabled by a TR invasion and not really implied to repent in the end (and in several cases actually bullied TR in the first place even). Other series tend to have this issue with villains they can't just redeem or blast off as well, but they tend to have some key exceptions like Hunter J and Lysandre being killed off in a ballsy way, or most other TR members getting arrested. AG lets nearly all its villains and even its jerks, no matter how cruel or annoying they are, get away, it couldn't be more obvious they are mere plot devices. It seems TRio sap up all the bad karma.

* Cutesy cloying antics: Okay, maybe it's simply because I've only seen the dub, but I remember AG having the most goody goody air to it of all the series, with only a few snarky or witty plots that weren't mostly involving the TRio. This naturally means many of the fillers are pretty bland and a bit too saccharine and the main group aren't very interesting solo.

I think the only big exceptions were ones that fell into the aforementioned problem like the North Petalberg filler, which at least sort of fit as a hard truth moral by having the jerk town get saved by Ash and still acting like a dumb fanboy mob. Sometimes you just can't win people over.

* Unremarkable league arc: While I think the league formula was dragged on for too long without many big changeups, I feel nearly every one had SOMETHING going for it. Kanto was Ash's big wake up call, Johto had him settle things against Gary at last, Sinnoh against Paul, Kalos built up to the Flare arc, and Alola, even without finally breaking the streak, had MULTIPLE other game changers. Even Unova sticks out for how ridiculous it is. Hoenn isn't....BAD, but it isn't that memorable either. Ash has no noteworthy rivals, there's not much personal investment, and the battles aren't that intense yet. The biggest gimmick is the irony of having Pikachu elminated by a Meowth.

DP:
* Long long long series: While I think Johto was the most repetitive series, DP is perhaps the one that was stretched out long past its welcome. Four seasons with no real changeups like OS and AG at least tried to do. It's not all quite as bad as those two at times, but it definitely does add an air of monotony to it, especially since we're still in the strictly formula era with very few uniquely paced episodes.

* Delirious disasterous dubbing: While I think the dub post Johto suffered a downgrade it never recovered, I tend to remember this having some of the most cringey scripts, Team Rocket were NEVER allowed to talk normally in this one. The consolation is a few episodes handed to another studio that keep ALL the soundtrack as is, but you still have to put up with some awkward scripts.

Do a couple more later. BW and XY will be a big two. :p

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Team Rocket's misery: Let me clarify here. I feel like AG is where TR's usual jobber/butt monkey status goes from the usual sometimes funny/sometimes monotonous to borderline depressing. This is the start of the trio's nuances from the OS starting to fade out with nothing extra put in their place just yet. They're just full time losers in this series, and it sticks out more when it is still calling back to past characters and their development and the trio have nothing. Nearly every new key character exists as a 'superior' version of them (eg. Meowth in Boots, Harley), they have yet to start winning contests this saga, even when Jessie does get legitmately better, and generally every dynamic tends to revolve around them being the bottom of the chain. They also tend to get the most gratuitous beatings this series, sometimes getting brutualized long after they've quit or take a lot longer to blast off (I think Johto started this but they were at least usually at their most aggravating and lowdown in those cases, AG gets them a melee beatdown just for appearing when the cast are in a bad mood sometimes). Even the attempts to make TR more one note comical jerks to balance it don't really help, and make their roles sometimes feel more painful and cringeworthy than funny.
What makes them stand out in AG as tiresome gags is the fact that there is no personal rival for Ash to face in AG, and Team Rocket appear in every episode as the main antagonists. So, most of the time, it's just Ash fighting Team Rocket again and again with new companions that didn't have the same dynamic as Ash, Brock and Misty. And it really cemented the repetitive formula of the anime for a long time.

Yeah, AG really does suffer from a lack of memorability when comparing all the series so far.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
DP:
* Long long long series:
Yes, DP was ridiculously slow paced and drawn out which is also why it’s the longest saga lasting 4 years and 191 episodes (excluding OS.) The 2 parter battles were very much needed and welcomed though, especially when they retired the trend since then.
* Delirious disasterous dubbing: While I think the dub post Johto suffered a downgrade it never recovered, I tend to remember this having some of the most cringey scripts, Team Rocket were NEVER allowed to talk normally in this one. The consolation is a few episodes handed to another studio that keep ALL the soundtrack as is, but you still have to put up with some awkward scripts.
Compared to BW where the TRio kept talking in elementary level riddles and analogies? The voices in the dub did fit majority of the characters and the dub got horrendously awful after DP. The DP dub was decent and I enjoyed the lower voice Sarah Natochenny gave Ash until she settled for the Ash voice she has for him now. Unfortunately, they didn’t bring back Veronica Taylor to voice May and Delia again (but I don’t remember anything sounding wrong.) Plus the English dub voice for Barry and Paul were on point. Same with Chimchar and they did continue to use some of the OST during DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.