• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think makes a person a veteran in pokemon?

Palamon

Silence is Purple

CGS

Shadow Lucario
A veteran in pokemon for me, is someone who both has an everlasting love for pokemon and someone who has a great knowledge for it too. Also i think a veteran can adapt easy to any changes made between generations easily. Also i think a veteran should be keen to get others into the franchise and teach them the ways too.

I agree with you

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Someone with lots of experience and knowledge of the series, preferably if said person grew up with the series as a child. :)

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Someone who's been playing it for a long time. Not just a couple generations but since it started so they know pretty much anything and everything.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
I'd think it's unfair to judge someone's knowledge based solely off of how long they're playing. As I'm only thirteen, I haven't been playing for very long (well, eight or nine years is a lot), but I know more about the games than most people that have been playing casually since Red/Blue.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
If you can remember QVC trying to sell Pokémon merchandise through a 3 hour time slot on Christmas Eve of 1999, I'd say you're pretty close to veteran status. Also, elaborate on what you mean veteran status means.

Cutty

Forever now
I've been playing since day 1 too but do I know all about pokemon? Not really...
I think the key word here is 'time'.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
Someone who's played for a long time, not necessarily that they're the best or know how to be expert competitive players. For example, my username isn't all that true. Even though I've followed Pokemon since the beginning, I couldn't name every Pokemon Ash has caught from the top of my head, I couldn't tell you how to play competitively in the TCG, and I definitely couldn't say how the heck to EV train or tell a Pokemon's IVs. However, I consider myself a vetran because I've been with the series for a long time.

lovepika

Pika The Espeon
But long experience would normally result in skill, wouldn't it? Unless the person is dumb or never really cared. I wouldn't consider someone a veteran if they played, say, Pokémon Yellow, and never became interested enough in it to ever think about it again after completing it.

For me, a veteran in pokemon would be someone who grew up with it and who knows probably more about the older pokemon than the newer ones. Even though I'm 14, which isn't exactly 'old', I consider myself a veteran in pokemon - the first thing I watched on TV was Pokémon (back then they still showed the good ol' season 1 on TV), it was also the first thing I went obsessed over, I don't remember any moment in my life before I knew about Pokémon, and still can't imagine my life without them (and I don't just mean games or anime; on various websites and forums, I usually join the ones where there are a lot of pokemon fans and most of my online friends were there (as in, liked Pokémon) at least when gen 3 was new, if not before. Although the first game I played was Emerald, I watched the anime before gen 3 came out, and while playing Emerald, I knew more about the older pokemon than the newer ones. I also remember when gen 3 had just came out and I spent hours on serebii just studying how they look and what their names are. And how me and my brother (the one who got me into Pokemon in the first place) were surprised that there's already a new generation.

Penguinist Trainer

Now I'm not saying this makes me a definitive expert, but I like all the challenges in the Pokedex 3D Pro. I've pretty much aced all the random questions and trivia. As I said, I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but if Pokémon were real, I do believe I could be a Pokémon Professor in training at least.

telivisionhead

I think to be an Expert trainer you have to
Train a number of pokemon that are differant types and have all sorts of moves to take out ANY oppponent
Know your pokemon weaknesses and strengths
Know what pokemon is what and what there types are
Beat the E4 AND Champion
OPTIONAL: Bear the E4 and champion on second run
Play for a long time and know how the game works and what not
I think to become an EXTREME EXTREME EXTREME trainer is
OPTIONAL: Not us legendaries, (depends on what your doing but either way you can use them)
EV or IV train, maybe both.
Competitive battles
Level 100 (OPTIONAL! THESE TAKE A LONG TIME TO DO!!)

forumguy1234

Master trainer!!!
Okay I disagree with the train of thought that you can only be a Pokémon veteran by simply by playing three generations of the Pokémon games, as it is possible for someone to be a Pokémon veteran without touching any of the Pokémon games and instead enjoys the card games, watching the animé or reading the manga.

For example I am a veteran in the Pokémon main series but when it comes to the card game I am a total green horn to the point that I don't know how to play it.
lol u callin urself a veteran ? very proud huh haha

for me ...... a veteran is smeone who is more expereince an knows his way round battles ... if u get waht i mean ... hehe

crosshammer

A veteran for me would be someone skilled in all aspects of the Pokemon games. I've been playing since the 1st Generation but I completely ignored the 4th one, and I've started playing again since last summer. Some might say I'm a veteran for how long I've played, but I am completely oblivious to the deeper mechanics of the game.

ThisIsPatrick

A veteran could be anyone, You can't be a veteran at everything (well you could but the majority of us aren't), For example you could be a Veteran Breeder, Battler, Catcher, Contestor. You could even be a Veteran Bike Rider ;p Or you could be Red and be a total badass ;)