• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of alternate Pokemon anime , like Origins, Generations, and Twilight Wings?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I want a new main anime with no references to the main anime whatsoever, with 3-4 years of 2 cour scheduling (24-26 episodes each year which would be between 70-100 episodes, that are over 20 minutes, per generation) as well as no fillers. I want it set up completely different than the main anime and I want it to be more like the adventures/special manga, or an exact copy of the games, just animated.

Morax

King of heroes
I want a new main anime with no references to the main anime whatsoever, with 3-4 years of 2 cour scheduling (24-26 episodes each year which would be between 70-100 episodes, that are over 20 minutes, per generation) as well as no fillers. I want it set up completely different than the main anime and I want it to be more like the adventures/special manga, or an exact copy of the games, just animated.
hail 2 u

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If they have to create a seasonal anime that runs parallel to the main one it should be
1) Pokémon Adventures Adaptation. That manga deserves it <3
2) An old Ash showing the conclusion to his journey after he becomes World champion in journeys and the main anime moves on with a new protagonist :p

RafaSceptile

If they have to create a seasonal anime that runs parallel to the main one it should be
1) Pokémon Adventures Adaptation. That manga deserves it <3
2) An old Ash showing the conclusion to his journey after he becomes World champion in journeys and the main anime moves on with a new protagonist :p
Bold of You to assume Ash's Journey is going to end winning the PWC (for the good and for the Bad)

AxelJade

Counterpoint : The pokemon games have barely any plot. You could condense them into a 12 cour anime and still have time for fillers. This is a 2 cour anime we're talking about, you could flesh out each and every character.
You say that, but I readily admit that even with story being on the back burner in terms of priority, I still judge Pokémon games based off of the quality of those stories. Mainly because I hate competitive play and shining hunting and prefer the already story-focused anime/manga. But while story and characters are threadbare, those are what I judge and rate the games on. For example, most of the problems that the fandom had with Sword and Shield like Dexit and the graphics were problems I either didn't care about or outright ignored because I was just happy to have a game where a proper tournament style Pokémon League was the focus while the evil team was a secondary concern. Something I wanted out of the games for a long time.

So maybe it's just because I put more importance on story and characters than I should, but I still say 2-12 hours still isn't long enough of an anime to flesh out all of the characters and story points of the games. Unless you're intentionally going for a smaller, less story driven and more character focused experience like Twilight Wings, but a big part of what makes Twilight Wings good is its direction from Shingo Yamashita.

AxelJade

How? SM can be done within 12 episodes and it's the most story driven game yet. Unless you want to dedicate an episode to each and every NPC in the game In which case even a 100 episodes might fall short.
Believe it or not, I've actually asked myself this question and tried to math it out. Because between being a fan of a kid's game for my entire life and working graveyard shift at a convenience store, I clearly have no life.

If you tried adapting Gen 1 into a more faithful anime, made sure that almost every episode introduced one of the original 151 even if Red doesn't catch it, made sure every individual town, city, and route got an episode, gave "story important" episodes like Team Rocket incidents and Elite Four/Champion battles two-three part episodes, and just generally took a slow approach to the anime and didn't just summarize parts of the journey that should be shown instead, then the anime would come out closer to 60 episodes.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Theoretically speaking, an anime adaptation would work in this format:

Each episode takes place in a route. Captures and rival battles included.
Then the major cities. Gym Leader intros included here.
The actual gym battles.
Then the league, which would be a 5-episode arc.

This would all come to around 50-ish episodes. Divide those into two seasons, and you got yourself something sweet for 2 years.

(Unlike packing each year with more than 30 meaningless episodes.)

RafaSceptile

Theoretically speaking, an anime adaptation would work in this format:

Each episode takes place in a route. Captures and rival battles included.
Then the major cities. Gym Leader intros included here.
The actual gym battles.
Then the league, which would be a 5-episode arc.

This would all come to around 50-ish episodes. Divide those into two seasons, and you got yourself something sweet for 2 years.

(Unlike packing each year with more than 30 meaningless episodes.)
Imo 5-episode arc for a Pokémon League is short, even with the game format. It should be like 8-9 episodes assuming 1.5 episodes per battle against the E4 and then 2-3 episodes against the champion.

Morax

King of heroes
Imo 5-episode arc for a Pokémon League is short, even with the game format. It should be like 8-9 episodes assuming 1.5 episodes per battle against the E4 and then 2-3 episodes against the champion.
If we're being faithful to the games : 2 episodes for each elite four and 3 for the champion. You don't need 17 episodes.

AxelJade

If we're being faithful to the games : 2 episodes for each elite four and 3 for the champion. You don't need 17 episodes.
I think an example I have here for how long a "100% faithful to the games minus the little things you need to change for Pokémon to work better outside of a video game" Pokémon anime to go. Or at least how much you would actually need to consider when writing such a series:

I say that even though both Pokémon Origins and Ash's anime covered getting both the Pokémon and the PokéDex before the respective halfway points of their first episodes, the correct move would and should be making that... The whole first episode. Why? You need to get through establishing:

• What Pokémon are.
  • Giving a basic idea of what kind of world the Pokémon world is.
  • What kind of town Pallet Town is and what kind of people its people are.
  • What kind of kids Red and Green are and their relationships to each other and the adults around them.
  • The personalities of the three starter Pokémon and why the boys might make their choice in starter.
  • The first rival battle.
  • Going through Route 1 and back to get Oak's Parcel from the PokéMart into Oak's possession.
  • And depending on how much you want to adhere to Gen 1 or borrow from later games, you need to decide whether or not you're going to include Blue (I know, Green in the English translations and usually just Leaf. Don't... Just call her Blue).
  • If you do decide to include Blue, then you also need to set aside time to establish her character and how she ties into the backstory of the two boys.

It doesn't sound like a lot, and maybe there is a way to streamline all of that so it can be covered in the same length of time as the other two anime, but I don't see how you can handle all of that in half an episode or less without it all just coming off as clumsy and rushed and "I don't give a crap". Not to mention you need to consider similar details like that for every episode, even if all that you're doing is a (mostly) filler episode on Route 12 as Red battles his way through generic Fishermen with underleveled Magikarp and Goldeen so he can wake up and battle Snorlax.

You don't need to pull a DBZ and stretch out Red's Pikachu and Venusaur beating Giovanni's Persian and Rhydon into 10 episodes. I'm not saying that. And I admit that I'm maybe trying to put more story where there is none, and that that's bloating things. But from my perspective, even the least story driven Pokémon games need more than 12-24 episodes to cover all of their material. Especially since, as I've stated, the job of an adaptation is to flesh out on and expand both the world and the characters in that world.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
An old Ash showing the conclusion to his journey
I actually want to see that old version of him before they're eventually reboot his story like Digimon 2020s did with tai and his friends.

AxelJade

I actually want to see that old version of him before they're eventually reboot his story like Digimon 2020s did with tai and his friends.
I've just resigned to the fate that this will never happen. A long time ago. I will be on my death bed in 2082. My hypothetical great grandchildren will be watching Pokémon in the other room. And through my cracked open door, I will see Ash, still 10 years and with Pikachu still on his shoulder, having another reunion with Brock and Misty alongside yet another new set of companions, still taking place in the same continuity that I grew up with. And fans will still be complaining in internet forums like this one over whether or not Ash needs to grow and retire, or be rebooted, or if it even matters anymore (which it doesn't).

This is the future. I resigned to it long ago.

Pokemon Power

I think they are more or less aimed at older fans. The regular anime doesn't have stuff that older fans can relate to, such as adapting the ghostly Marowak in Origins.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I'd love for more ten-minute episodes of various scenes from the games like they did with Generations (although watching the quality slowly decrease from the first five episodes was painful to watch, culminating in the Silver and Looker episode looking absolutely disgusting)

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
They're a breath of fresh air from the Never Ending Adventures of Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket.

They're far from perfect, I still appreciate a nice change of pace.

Anything that gives us alternate takes on the villains, give (non-companion) gym leaders more screen time, and let's people out of the Not Animated Jail is aces in my book!