• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of Goh catching a lot of Pokemon?

batman14

Is there any particular reason why him having hundreds of Pokemon would be a bad thing? Capturing Pokemon is a big part of what the franchise is about, so I say the more the merrier.
Did i say him gettin a lot of Pokemon was bad I just dont want him get a Pokemon from the same line

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Is there any particular reason why him having hundreds of Pokemon would be a bad thing? Capturing Pokemon is a big part of what the franchise is about, so I say the more the merrier.
This is a show that uses around 140 episodes to tell(?) a story(?) while relying on its cast of characters traveling and having adventures, which rarely has character growth for any of them. Due to the nature of the franchise combined with a weekly series that has sagas run for 3 years top that likes wasting episodes on zany premises with COTDs that will never leave a lasting impression, the fact a character suddenly having 12 members that won't be as important as their first Pokemon kills interest. Go is perhaps the biggest offender of "you can't please everybody" because it's unknown if he'll even give as much attention to half his current party as he does with Scorbunny.

...Oh, and by the way, batman14 was talking about Go not bothering to evolve Pokemon if he'll just catch every stage, not if he had hundreds of them. Poor kid will have a meltdown when he tries getting a Shedinja (unless he happens to catch a wild one, alongside a wild Scizor).

Last edited:

PreschoolerFromNowhere

Look who just caught more for his team? i wonder if he going to catch at least one for every episode from now on? at the end of the season, the lab will full of his Pokemon for sure!

even in the Sinnoh episode probably plot around swim contest but who know, Go probably like... "This is my first time in Sinnoh, let me take a look around before the contest start!" and then bang, he catch some bird and bug and all...

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I wouldn't mind it if it didn't feel so cheap.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
I have a mixed feeling on this due to legendary and mythical pokemon. How would they be handled in relation to Gou's goal?

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
When Ash caught quite a few Pokémon in the BW series the less marketable ones (e.g: Roggenrola/Boldore) got thrown under the bus in expense of the more popular ones (Snivy, Krookidile, Pignite, Oshawatt, Scraggy and I guess Leavanny got the lion's share of the attention). Also the anime tends to paint those who view Pokémon merely as things to collect in a negative light (not to mention the tricky business of dealing with "uncatchable" Legendaries, the Porygon line and Kadabra).

Master Pikachu 11

My question is what does he plan on doing with these pokemon once he catches them. What is his end goal, if he is successful in catching Mew? Does he want to train them and battle with them, does he want to study them. That’s my only question that I have for him catching all these pokemon. At least with Ash, we know that they will be used in battle and that’s my only problem with Go catching all these pokemon because we don’t know what he is going to do with them

Leonhart

Imagineer
Master Pikachu said:
My question is what does he plan on doing with these pokemon once he catches them. What is his end goal, if he is successful in catching Mew? Does he want to train them and battle with them, does he want to study them. That’s my only question that I have for him catching all these pokemon. At least with Ash, we know that they will be used in battle and that’s my only problem with Go catching all these pokemon because we don’t know what he is going to do with them

I had always assumed that Gou would be more interested in studying his Pokemon than raising them for battles. I think that Satoshi is the main battler of this series while Gou is more like the collector, so I think that part of his end goal will be to have lots of Pokemon to befriend and not necessarily to battle with.

J Bouken

It makes me uncomfortable.

It's an idea the anime has spent the best part of two decades distancing itself from, instead preferring to focus on how trainers and Pokemon can bond with another. To now have a character who does nothing but catch Pokemon for no other reason than he just wants to runs counter to the show's own philosophy.

If the show asks the right questions of Gou, then I think this can be interesting. However, if it continues to glorify and normalise Pokemon collecting, it'll only cause damage in the long-run.

Last edited:

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
It makes me uncomfortable.

It's an idea the anime has spent the best part of two decades distancing itself from, instead preferring to focus on how trainers and Pokemon can bond with another. To now have a character who does nothing but catch Pokemon for no other reason than he just wants to runs counter the show's own philosophy.

If the show asks the right questions of Gou, then I think this can be interesting. However, if it continues to glorify and normalise Pokemon collecting, it'll only cause damage in the long-run.
It definitely seems weird for Ash to not at least comment on this approach given how it's so different to how almost every trainer he's ever interacted with does things. I'd say they may comment about this in the future, but what with the Let's Go catching mechanics being implemented, it feels like they're trying to retcon it into this always being the norm.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It definitely seems weird for Ash to not at least comment on this approach given how it's so different to how almost every trainer he's ever interacted with does things. I'd say they may comment about this in the future, but what with the Let's Go catching mechanics being implemented, it feels like they're trying to retcon it into this always being the norm.
Yeah, the only "catcher" before Go was Gary, and he still kinda had a core team

Master Pikachu 11

I don't know what are you talking about. There was never a talking pokedex obsessed with a detectives show. Nope, never happened, NEVER... Oh boy, here come the flashbacks again.
Would be funny if we see Rotom again and how he would react to Ash’s new Pokédex or even Go’s. I can see it now Go throws a poke ball at a Pokémon in Alola, Go’s phone: excellent, Rotom: “Does not compute”