• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of Goh catching a lot of Pokemon?

Sword master zacian

They could give him at least a fixed team of six but it seems not even Ash carries Gengar, Dragonite or Mimey with him on his travels
Mimey fully make sense why he doesn't carry it because it is for cooking,Cleaning and for all household work
For dragonite it loves sakuragi park so ash i think left him there to hug everyone
We don't know anything about gengar yet whether its in park or either ash takes it with him placed in its pokeball
Riolu we barely had any ep after riolu capture yet except for raboot one in which we never saw riolu Maybe its inside in his pokeball i hope ash carries riolu everywhere not leave at sakuragi park (what's its english name?) to rot for long like dragonite

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Maybe it's the episodic format at play? It will constantly regress Goh's character development for the sake of keeping a story in every episode.

Like Stan Smith!
Yeah I know. They were doing that for the past companions as well. It's just that along with his house room with multiple monitors that Go's character is leaned towards the materialistic side. And for me who saw real life stories about dying pets abandonned by their masters, sounded to me like a disturbing trend.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Remember when Go's nature as a lonely recluse was brought up and he caught a cubone, another lonely recluse, and then did absolutely nothing to follow up on that and grow as a character, instead suddenly treating raboot like a lonely recluse?

Good times
The idea of Go coming to a point where he would go out of his way to protect a lonely and struggling Pokémon was meant to highlight his growth I *think* more or less a redial on his “robbing Pokémon of the strength to live” ideology from the Fushigisou episode. Utilizing the literal Lonely Pokémon for this episode made for a cute little episodic adventure for himself. Do be mindful of this series more episodic nature. Satoshi’s team and Go’s Pokémon chill at Sakuragi Park, TRio don’t have regular captures and Sakuragi doesn’t appear to have any Pokémon or his assistants. I think that’s a change in the formula of that series that may be shocking but overtime people will have to make peace with. It makes sense especially with the popularity and installation of Go-elements into the main games as well.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
The idea of Go coming to a point where he would go out of his way to protect a lonely and struggling Pokémon was meant to highlight his growth I *think* less a redial on his “robbing Pokémon of the strength to live” ideology form the Fushigisou episode. Utilizing the literal Lonely Pokémon for this episode made a cute little episodic adventure for himself. Do be mindful of this series more episodic nature. Satoshi’s team and Go’s Pokémon chill at Sakuragi Park, TRio don’t have regular captures and Sakuragi doesn’t appear to have any Pokémon or his assistants.
I thought one of them had a Magnemite.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I really thought it would be his second main Pokémon like Trace in LGPE

Well, to be fair, we are only 22 episodes in. There's time to Go start having something that ressembles a team or at least use the non-Raboot pokémon.

The only thing bugging me in the series so far is how they are being a bit extreme with Pokémon Go's buddy pokémon gimmick with Goh. It seems like everything Goh catches is ignored and it feels like he only really has Raboot.

They could give him at least a fixed team of six but it seems not even Ash carries Gengar, Dragonite or Mimey with him on his travels

Yeah, they are quite inconsistent with Ash's team. Sometimes it seems like they all hang in the lab until they doesn't and Ash has to fight for PWC or stuff like this.

Ultra Beast Lover

Honestly, I don't see much of a point in catching all the Pokemon. Yeah it's an impressive feat but even the games don't make a big deal out of it. You get a certificate, sometimes a couple cool items, the option to go to a strange place in one game. But it's not a big deal. I get that Go wants to be friends with all of the Pokemon, and that's fine, but he's not befriending every single one before he catches them. It would've made the PODs more interesting if he and Ash befriended them then the Pokemon goes with him.

Red and Blue

Looks like he won't be slowing down on captures anytime soon. Probably won't be long until he surpasses the amount of Pokemon Ash caught over the years

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
Honestly, I don't see much of a point in catching all the Pokemon. Yeah it's an impressive feat but even the games don't make a big deal out of it. You get a certificate, sometimes a couple cool items, the option to go to a strange place in one game. But it's not a big deal. I get that Go wants to be friends with all of the Pokemon, and that's fine, but he's not befriending every single one before he catches them. It would've made the PODs more interesting if he and Ash befriended them then the Pokemon goes with him.

I think he wants to collect all the Pokemon as part of his overall goal to capture Mew since Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, so Gou catching every other Pokemon before meeting Mew again would be like assembling a big puzzle.

Mew29240

I think he wants to collect all the Pokemon as part of his overall goal to capture Mew since Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, so Gou catching every other Pokemon before meeting Mew again would be like assembling a big puzzle.

Someone didn't tell him about the Creation Myth in Sinnoh or about Ultra Space I suppose.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The only thing bugging me in the series so far is how they are being a bit extreme with Pokémon Go's buddy pokémon gimmick with Goh. It seems like everything Goh catches is ignored and it feels like he only really has Raboot.

And then they finally give him a classic bonding episode, how captures should be done just for Cubone to get thrown aside and treated no better than the Pokemon that get 1 second of screentime before a ball is hurled right at them!

It amazes me even after the episode he caught 8 additional Pokemon people still say the captures aren't pointless. He's not going to be using every single one. I was willing to give him a chance after the Cubone episode but they blew it after that orientation episode. I'd rather sit through every XY(Z) filler in one sitting than give him another shot

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The idea of Go coming to a point where he would go out of his way to protect a lonely and struggling Pokémon was meant to highlight his growth I *think* more or less a redial on his “robbing Pokémon of the strength to live” ideology from the Fushigisou episode. Utilizing the literal Lonely Pokémon for this episode made for a cute little episodic adventure for himself. Do be mindful of this series more episodic nature. Satoshi’s team and Go’s Pokémon chill at Sakuragi Park, TRio don’t have regular captures and Sakuragi doesn’t appear to have any Pokémon or his assistants. I think that’s a change in the formula of that series that may be shocking but overtime people will have to make peace with. It makes sense especially with the popularity and installation of Go-elements into the main games as well.
Which clashes horrifically with the past 23 years beating us over the head that pokemon are living things that trainers bond and grow with

Ultra Beast Lover

the past 23 years were wrong
Plot twist, all this time Ash has been a secret rescue ranger, in training! That's why Ash resets all the time and is forever the same age, to keep up the illusion. All of his travel companions up to Unova were in on it, Max was a trainee. Ash was really incompetent in Unova because Iris and Cilan weren't in on it until way later and he was overcompensating so his cover wouldn't be blown. He was competent in Kalos because Serena was in on it and Bonnie and Clemont, though just helpful civilians, were good at helping. Ash was fifty/fifty in Alola because HQ sent him on vacation initially then authorized his stay in Alola because they figured that he just needed a little break before he could win a League battle, they were right. Now bronze rank, Ash is tolerating Go's excessive capture of Pokemon because he isn't hurting them, but he's staying close by just to determine if Go is a threat and to, hopefully, encourage better habits with catching Pokemon. If we never see Go again after all this it's because Ash determined that Go is a threat and thus has turned him over to the authorities and confiscated the Pokemon, rehabilitating and setting them free!

Or the writers decided to contradict themselves just so they could cram Pokemon Go down our throats. I prefer my idea, it makes things more interesting for me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ultra Beast Lover said:
Yeah, I mean it's no wonder we're having the reaction we're having. Go's goal contradicts everything we had been shown and taught about the show's universe since we were kids.

Things change. I don't mean to sound so blunt, but expecting all the lessons from the past to still be relevant over two decades after the series started is a little bizarre to me, especially given all the other patterns that have broken in the past few years. Gou treating his Pokemon like items may not be our cup of tea, but it's just a fact of the series.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Which clashes horrifically with the past 23 years beating us over the head that pokemon are living things that trainers bond and grow with
I think you’re missing the point with that, I meant there’s been a change in formula where Pokémon are given less screen time and stories and eccentric personalities and fleshing out compared to previous series. Gou doesn’t abuse or ignore his Pokémon, we just don’t get much devotion to their screen time (honestly even Satoshi’s outside of battles) because PM isn’t prioritizing that kind of thing outside of designated capture episodes and Rabbifoot. It’s just how things are, we can assume Gou loves and adores all his Pokémon but the writers are going to give him and Satoshi several episodes of bonding or something with these Pokémon because it’s not prioritizing focus in that way is all.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think the other reason people aren't fond of Go's goal is because of how... bland it is, at least compared to the others. Ash's goal is vague but the way it sounds and the fact that, I guess, becoming a champion didn't get him there, suggests that a Pokemon Master is this big, grand thing that most trainers strives for. Iris and Misty, though their goals are also vague in how one completes it, had goals that were cool. Inventions are just naturally cool, Lana's desire to explore the sea is pretty neat, Lilly's dream of finding her dad is great, I can at least respect Mallow's desire to be a chef, I forget what Kiawe wanted... contests and performances were pretty fun to watch, though it didn't get much focus Pokemon Breeding did allow for a little world building and later Brock went off to become a doctor which, let's be honest, made sense. And though Cilan was annoying, his dream of being a Pokemon Connoisseur also allowed for world building and was an interesting concept.

Go's not catching Pokemon for any known reason, fair enough if he wants to make them his friends and it's impressive but we see captures all the time now, it used to be that we'd have to wait for long intervals before a capture happens, as a way to show where a character is right at that moment. I personally just worry that, when the next companions catch their Pokemon, it won't have quite the impact it used to. It's silly but it could happen.

Me personally, I'm kinda torn. I mean I don't think i'll be invested in the new series but i've heard that this character is going to be catching alot of Pokes just to catch them.

If this is the gimmick that the anime is gonna be doing this Gen, then every week, we'll be seeing his character Bio each week wiith a list of Pokemon. Meaning that this guy is single-handedly going to break Ash's bio record of having had the most Pokemon.

Kind of a cheat and not really necessary to me. Goh would break Ash's record in one Season alone! Kind of a cheap shot! But is anyone else okay with this?
Same,he catches every pokemon by throwing a ball once.Ash had pokemon break out in different parts like the indigo league. Goh can just look at you and then catch you if your a pokemon.