• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of the deserts in the games?

You leik the desert?

• I love

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I like

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I no like

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I hate

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
I've always seen the deserts as one of the most fun and interesting to explore areas in Pokemon. They are one of those areas that tend to have alot of pokemon that only live there. So what do you think of these unique settings? :)
Here is a list of all the desert routes and areas- (I'll include any area that's arid or has large populations of dryland pokemon, even if that area is not a true desert)

Hoenn Route 111- The first true desert in Pokemon, located near the center of the Hoenn region.
11-desert.png

Unova Route 4- A desert that is also occupied by a constuction project, in black 2 the project is completed, and the desert destroyed, but in white two the project is called off, and the desert remains.

Desert Resort- A large expanse of sand, the only home to such unusual pokemon as Maractus, Sigylph and Dwebble

You can see the great Unovan Desert towards the lower middle part of the region.
Desert_Resort_BW.png

Unova Route 18- This island is not a true desert. However, it was once adjacent to the desert resort, and as such, many desert pokemon live there.
Unova_Route_18_Summer_BW.png

Lentimas Town and Twist Mountain- Could be called the "other" desert of Unova, this area has been dried to the bone by its proximity to a volcano. The area is the only home of dryland Skorupi and Vibrava in the pokemon world.
Pxywikiwalkthrough622.png

Lumiose Badlands- Possible the most barren and lifeless of all the deserts, it is inhabited by only three pokemon- trapinch, gible, and dugtrio (this is Kalos, mind you) all of which are fossorial, a testimony to how sterile this place is.
Pxywikiwalkthrough622.png

Kalos Route 9- Again, while it cannot be called a true desert, the area is nonetheless quite arid and home to numerous desert species, including Sandile, Helioptile, and Hipoppotas.
9.jpg

Orre- The last desert in our list, the Orre region is basically entirely covered in desert! It is truly the largest in the pokemon world. It's native fauna is actually fairly limited, though. However this seems to be due to the interference of Cipher, and not due to the regions inhosbitability to desert pokemon.
270px-Orre_Phenac_City_Map.png

And, just for fun now, a list of all the desert pokemon! (if I missed any, feel free to bring up.)

023Ekans.png

024Arbok.png

027Sandshrew.png

028Sandslash.png

050Diglett.png

051Dugtrio.png

207Gligar.png

322Numel.png

323Camerupt.png

328Trapinch.png

329Vibrava.png

330Flygon.png

331Cacnea.png

332Cacturne.png

343Baltoy.png

344Claydol.png

412Burmy-Sandy.png

413Wormadam-Sandy.png

443Gible.png

444Gabite.png

445Garchomp.png

449Hippopotas.png

450Hippowdon.png

451Skorupi.png

452Drapion.png

464Rhyperior.png

551Sandile.png

552Krokorok.png

553Krookodile.png

554Darumaka.png

555Darmanitan.png

556Maractus.png

557Dwebble.png

558Crustle.png

559Scraggy.png

560Scrafty.png

561Sigilyph.png

562Yamask.png

563Cofagrigus.png

636Larvesta.png

637Volcarona.png

666014.png

694Helioptile.png

695Heliolisk.png
As you can see, the deserts and the pokemon that live in them are very interesting places, so what do you think about them?

Ruas

If you ignore the annoying sandstorm during battles, desserts are quite lovely now that you mention it. By the way, you missed Sinnoh's Route 228.

I think Unova's dessert is my favourite. It was quite large & has a very diverse set of Pokemons (in terms of types). It has gone through a great deal of changes in B2W2 which makes it all the more interesting - it adds more to the history of the place. You've got also Relic Castle which is used in the plot and is home to Volcarona (epic dex entries) too.

My second favourite is probably RSE's dessert. I like the idea of the Go-Goggles. It has a decent selection of Pokemons, and again a few interesting mysteries. You have the Mirage Tower (nice little bike challenge), the Underpass & Regirock's cave. Makes you keep coming for more again, so it was nicely designed place.

After all this, Kalos's dessert was indeed quite dry like you mentioned. Also, did you have to add huge pictures of the dessert Pokemons? :D Was expecting a textual list in that spoiler.

Kalosian

So long
I like the deserts in the games. They are interesting and unique environments which is great as it makes the areas in the games more varied. The sandstorm damage can be annoying at times, but it can also be helpful during some battles as not all Pokemon in the deserts are immune to it either. I don't really have a favorite desert as I like most of them, but the wind or whatever it is in the Lumiose Badlands can get extremely annoying when you are trying to travel west there, making it my least favorite.

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
They're OK I guess. It's a nice refreshing change of mechanics, but running into wild Pokemon every 2 seconds and being hurt by sandstorm in battle gets kind of annoying.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I actually liked Hoenns' desert. It was small and easy to navigate... until you need to reach Regi... I forget which one.
Didn't really enjoy crossing Unovas' desert though.
Also didn't like the Sandstorm in battles :c

They are a nice addition at least. Its not always gonna be trees and cities so a desert adds a bit of variety where it otherwise seems abundance of nature. <.>

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
^ Regirock is the one in the Ancient Tomb.

I've always loved the deserts, since they tend to have one of, if not the most awesome, music tracks in the game. Navigating through the sandstorm is kind of frustrating (well, if you're not training a type that doesn't take damage in it/something with Sand Veil) but otherwise it's not too bad of a trek.

...Makes me sad that I'll have to wait until the post-game in Platinum before I'll get to go exploring in its desert area...

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I hate Unova's Desert Resort. Sincerely, it's annoying and there's nothing worth there.
In other games... I really never payed much attention, so I don't care, to be honest.

Hoenn Route 111 - Can't comment because, I admit, I wasn't really in to the games like I am today back during Gen 3.

Desert Resort in Unova - It was alright, not too hard to traverse.

Unova Route 18 - Again, alright. Not difficult at all, to me.

Lumiose Badlands - The only desert route, so far, that annoys me to no end. It's bad enough that the dust clouds move with you, but to top it off, two out of the three Pokemon you can find there have the Arena Trap ability. Those to things combined doses not make that route any easier to cross.

Kalos Route 9 - Kind of disliked it at first, but now it''s not too bad. It might have had something to do with not being used to the controls when riding the Rhyhorn for the first time.

Orre - Again, can't comment, because I don't think I played the game that region is from.

SheerMint

Moltres Worshipper
Oh yes, I love the desert regions. Orre for me holds a very special place in my heart for being so visitor hostile and mysterious. I really need to replay Colosseum and XD again.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
They are ok.... The only one a found really annoying was the desert resort. Mainly because it's a huge spence of land and has sinking sand. You go slower if you use your bicycle on it but you go faster if you run through it. So I press the Y button quite a bit in that section.

desert resort is terrible AAGGHHHHH

Tyrantrum

Always found the deserts to be an interesting change of pace. At the least, something with a bit more attitude then most of the other locales.

Hate the one in Unova. Absolutely love the desert in Hoenn. Arguably the best desert in the pokemon game universe. The Kalos "desert" is a pretty good one as well, but it always seems to remind me of the Badlands zone from World of Warcraft (which isn't a bad thing to be reminded of, that zone was amazing.).

mellowrush

I'm not so partial about them but they add some diversity, which is nice.
The one is Hoenn was indeed short, although had few notable points, like Regirock hidden in the South area or the fossils in the northeast {if I'm mistaking, correct me}
The problem with the one in Unova is that maybe was a wee bit too big...at least there was a doctor healing your wounded pokemon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.