• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of the *Middle stage* of STARTERS?

Thoughts on the MIDDLE stage of Starters

• They are cool

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • They're ugy

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Some are more cool than others

Votes: 47 68.1%
  • A few of them are realy ugly

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • I don't care, they're just Pokemon

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I know this is all based on personal opinion, sometimes the starters can go from Cute to Ugly, but sometimes their Final form just makes them look epic.

What do you guys actually think of the MIDDLE stage?

Pokemon like:

Ivysaur
Charmeleon
Wartortle
Bayleef
Quilava
Croconaw
Grovyle
Combusken
Marshtomp
Grotle
Monferno
Prinplup.

You can say what you want about them, like some people say that
Prinplup is pretty damn ugly, and Empoleon is even uglier, but he mkes up for it by being awesome!

Personally, I think that Charmeleon is the coolest part of his evolution line, I don't see him as ugly, he is cool! On the other hand, some I DO think are crap like Bayleef and Prinplup. My reasons for not liking Bayleef are simply because it looks a bit PANZEE for a starter, and my explanation for why I don't like Prinplup, read the above quote.

So, what's your thought on them?

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Actually, design speaking, I like the feel of some of the middle stages better than the final. For instance, Wartortle I think is the best design out of the Kanto water starter.

The only ones I didn't like were Monferno, Prinplup, and Grotle--but then, the only first form I liked was Piplup; their final forms were the only ones I liked from them. As for the ones that I felt were better than their whole line, I liked Wartortle, Ivysaur, and Bayleef better than the others (Except Bulbasaur--but while Bulbasaur is cute, Ivysaur has awesomeness).

Now, I do love Cyndaquil and Typhlosion, but there's something about Quilava that I adore. Maybe it's because it looks so snuggly? Who knows. But I love Quilava. :3

Silver_Seoul

Ivysaur - Like him better than his Pre-Evo and Evo, looks cool.
Charmeleon - God I hate Charmander and Charizard's appearance. This one looks so much cooler.
Wartortle - Same as Charmeleon, but I like Squirtle...

Bayleef - Err...no. Don't like it.
Quilava - Yes! My favorite of the entire evolutionary line, but I love all three.
Croconaw - Like Totodile better, but this one's pretty good. I don't mind his design.

Grovyle - I guess I like him the best of his line.
Combusken - No, I much prefer Torchic and Blaziken over this. >__<
Marshtomp - Ruins the epic-ness of Mudkip and Swampert.

Grotle - Eh. He's okay.
Monferno - Like his design the best; he looks so playful!
Prinplup - Okay, this one is just terribly hideous. >____>

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
...um....I've never been a big fan of the middle stages, but they serve their purpose...

They've always put me in the mind of some sort of awkward teenage stage for the pokemon...the basic stage being childhood, the middle stage being the teen years, and the final form as the fully developed adult...

Some are rather ugly, but most final forms are ugly, too.

Just my opinion...

~Nemmeh ;107;

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Some look like rubbish like Combusken.

But then there is Charmeleon and Croconaw who jus t look cool.

Larris

Barney Stinson!
Now, I do love Cyndaquil and Typhlosion, but there's something about Quilava that I adore. Maybe it's because it looks so snuggly? Who knows. But I love Quilava. :3

Quilava is my favourite middle stage starter and it really looks snuggly! :) Plus it also looks the best (in the cyndaquil-quilava-typloshion line) when you have it following you in HG/SS. And it also looks way better as a shiny than typloshion.

As for the other starters I think they're okay but no way near quilava. <3

I think they're forgettable. But then again, I think all middle staged Pokemon are forgettable. Basic stages are cute, and final stages just look awesome, but the middle stage is just like a transition stage.

Grei

not the color
^That's what I like about them, I think. They're just awesome--they're transitions. Teenagers, if you want to put it that way.

I'm not sure why else, but I just love the middle stages. Some of the basic stages I don't like, some of the final stages are terrible to me, but I never fail to like the middle stages. Just the right mix of cute and fierceness/strength.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I have to admit, I don't care for most of them. But I'm fond of Wartortle and Croconaw.

Rage Baron

Anime Disliker
Ivysaur - Eh, he's okay, doesn't do much for me, though.
Charmeleon - One of my favorite fire Pokemon.
Wartortle - One of my favorite water Pokemon.

Bayleaf - I'm not a fan of this evolutionary family.
Quilava - This one's pretty cool.
Croconaw - I'm indifferent.

Grovyle - I like this one a lot.
Combusken - Worst of this family, easily.
Marshtomp - It's better than Swanpert, and that's all that matters.

Grotle - Again, worst of the evolutionary family.
Monferno - It's pretty cool, definitely better than Infernape.
Prinplup - Best of Gen IV's mid stages.

While I utterly despise the bird-lines (barring the 1st/base stages) I do think that Grotle and Bayleaf do look nice even though I'm not a fan of grass types).

All the other ones are O.K. but I still have no idea where Wartortle's tail(s) go when it evovles...

Though since I only really see them for a total of 1 day every time I play through a pokemon game... I decided that "I don't care, they're just pokemon".

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
They make the game more interesting; if the starters only evolved once that wouldn't really be very interesting, but adding a middle stage makes it not only more interesting, but allows them to evolve earlier. Also, some of them have very good designs.

However, some of them are very ugly and I think that whoever designs them should think about it a bit more.

But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter and I don't care; they're just pokemon.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
I think that all of the "middle" stages for the Starters look awkward. Some, like Quilava and Bayleaf, look a little cute...

But in my opinion, there is one second stage starter that looks the worst of all...
awkardpictures.jpg

Crobat: "Guess where I put all of your awful Combusken pictures!"
Because a picture can speak a thousand words... :)

Last edited:

Khoury

i will actually use most of the middle-stage starters over the fully-evolved form in a general walkthrough of any game. i've used Croconaw, Quilava, Marshtomp, Grotle and Prinplup. however, those are the only ones. every other starter i have no problem evolving fully.

it's usually a matter of disliking the fully-evolved form or just plain LOVE for the middle-stage. i couldn't really tell you why! it's just what i do.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
My thoughts:
Ivysaur- My favourite of the line, I love Bulbasaur, but it doesn't look tough enough. Venusaur is too fat ;)
Charmeleon- I love the whole line, nuff said. If I had to rank- Charizard>Charmeleon>Charmander
Wartortle- The worst of the line. Squirtle is just too awesome, and Blastoise has cannons

Bayleef- Meh, the whole line sucks
Quilava- S'alright, probably the best Johto mid starter
Croconaw- Dislike it, Feraligatr is too cool to evolve from this, and I love Totodile.

Grovyle- I like Grovyle, actually I really like the whole line, but Sceptile's my favourite. Sceptile>Grovyle>Treecko
Combusken> The best of it's line, not that that's saying much. Blaziken is the least cool Hoenn final form, and Torchic sucks.
Marshtomp- Worst of it's line, but that's to be expected when you have the DON that is Swampert and Meme in a can to compare to.

Grotle- Love Grotle :)
Monferno- It's ok, not as cool as Infernape or cute as Chimchar.
Prinplup- Worst of the line.

I say let Piplup, Torchic and Chikorita lines fight to the death for the title of "suckiest starter"

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Guess I'll say my thoughts in my own thread then.
;002; Out of the whole evolution line, this guy looks the coolest to me!
;005; Awesome, better than ;004; and ;006;
;008; Actually, I honestly prefer ;009; to him, cannons!
;153; I never gave a toss about this evolution line.
;156; I never really had the fire starter of Johto, but this and ;157; are awesome more or less.
;159; <(;158;+;160;)
;253; I'm a bit indifferent with this one, not bad, just doesn't have the epic vibe that ;254; delivers.
;256; I like the fact now this chook has Fighting abilities, but still ;257; is just madness!
;259; Not as cute as ;258; and not as killer as ;260;
;388; Kind of ugly, not epic enough compared to ;389;
;391; I like this guy, ;390; is too cute and ;392; loses all its coolness because it isn't very big after all that.
;394; Ugly. ;395; may be ugly too, but he's bad-*ss! Again, ;393; is too cute.

Last edited: