1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the overall stories of the Pokemon series.

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Feb 11, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

So a lot of you more active members know I like Pokemon Adventures a lot. That is no secret and part of the reason for that is that I just love well-crafted stories put together and Pokemon Adventures fits that for the most part. It offers stories unlike no other in the Pokemon series. However as a kid, there's also the Pokemon anime. I know some of you don't think much of the anime nowadays but for many of us when we were children, the smaller stories, the adventures of Ash & Co. that the Pokemon anime told were far more intriguing than anything else we probably seen on television. One of the most memorable episodes I remember as a kid was the time Ash rescued a Charmander from his abusive trainer and the time Ash and his friends explored the gym of Gym Leader Koga which itself felt like a dungeon from a Legend of Zelda game. Then there are of course the games itself. My two most favorite generations are Gen 5 and Gen 7. One of those reasons were of course amazingly told stories but my third favorite generation is Johto for also amazingly told stories. Now I know that some of you may think Johto has no main story and while there is some truth to that, it makes up for that with it's larger collection of smaller stories through tasks and lore, smaller adventures such as exploring the Bellsprout Tower and getting the HM Flash to meeting and battling the Kimono Girls to discovering the great legends of Lugia and Ho-Oh. Those are stories and the smaller adventures and lore of Johto grabbed my attention for quite some time.

However the games, anime and manga aren't the only bits. There are other stories to be told not through letters or dialogue but through pictures. In the TCG a story that I remember is seeing a Tepig growing up and evolving into Emboar alongside family members, the son growing up into a father, the little girl growing up into a young woman and the parents growing into grandparents. Those are small stories I like and there are bigger stories the TCG told such as the Holon region. There are no named characters but one and that is the Holon region itself, told through the mysteries of what lies behind the pictures of the Delta Species era. And of course there is also the spin-offs too, Mystery Dungeon being a favorite, a series lifeline that has depended more on it's storytelling skills than it's mystery dungeon game play for many fans.

As you can see, there's almost always a interesting story behind the many corners of Pokemon, be it something intended for children such as the anime and Pokemon Adventures manga or something that has no dialogue or words to speak of such as the Pokemon TCG. I love these stories as it all pieces together to tell one far grander story, the world of Pokemon.

So? What do you think of the overall stories of the Pokemon series? As in no specific ones, nothing left out, all the ones you've read, watched or seen?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019