• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of the Sevii Islands quests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTypeStarter

Aside from the different graphics, different mechanics, and some slight tweeks, the Sevii Islands is the main addition that sets FRLG apart from the original Generation 1 games. What do you think of its additions? I personally like the first quest, which is unlocked after earning the Volcano Badge. Bill invites you over to meet his friend Celio. You fight a gang of bikers and rescue Lostelle. Now there may be some flaws to it but I actually like the first quest. As a kid I wanted to help Celio in the second quest which I'll get to later, I was quite excuse to see Bill again and to discover he had a friend. And I liked Lostelle and was happy to save her from the Hypno, which I caught for the Pokedex, and bring her back to her dad. And I did enjoy saving Three Island from the Bikers. For the second quest, I have mixed feelings. I only made it up to Lorelei as a kid, and never figured how to get into either Dotted Hole or the Rocket Warehouse. Upon revisiting the games as an older person and discovering what it would have been like, it is really disappointing. As a kid I wanted to help Celio with his machine and was excited to see Lorelei on Four Island, as well as fight Team Rocket. I expected something that I would somehow get the second password to the Warehouse, enter, confront Giovanni for the last time (he did say "meet again" and as a kid I didn't know better), and free the Pokémon Lorelei spoke of earlier. As a reward, she would give something that would allow me to enter the Ruins that contains some Pokemon for the Dex and you would somehow eventually get whatever jewel Celio needed. There are other things I had in mind (like I thought some of the other aspects of Five Island and Six Island as well as Seven Island would connect the plot). But I never thought it would simply be cutting the door to the ruins, getting the jewel, and after learning the password, have an anticlimactic final battle with Team Rocket who learn Giovanni is gone and then just leave. And the kidnapped Pokémon flee without you doing anything. And even the encounters with your rival are just there and he as well as Lorelei return to Indigo Plateu to be in an infinite loop of challenging once again.

I won't go into unrelated disappointments I had (like I knew nothing about trading and thought the Dex would be completed by you finding all Pokemon in the game. And never knew it would barely make an impact on the game aside from Oak congratulating you and you getting a diploma if you succeeded). But to sum up, I like the first side quest. I like they expanded on Bill by giving him a distant friend. I like Celio as an NPC character. And I liked Lostelle and liked saving her and taking her back to her dad. And while it could have been better, saving the island from the Bikers is nice too. However, the second quest has some good ideas but ultimately is disappointing. Helping Celio, fighting Team Rocket again, teaming up with Lorelei were all good. However, it all ends anticlimactic and disappointing. What do you think of the Sevii Islands additions?

Last edited:

departed

Discovering you can go to new islands and catch johto pokemon after the e4 was thrilling. Unfortunately, the story was too slow paced for me. The idea of going from one island to the next sounds cool on paper, but with no badges or strong storyline it fell flat. Team Rocket was especially disappointing. The protagonist was owed more than just a weak plot of team rocket vaguely stealing pokemon then quickly fleeing after they realize they've already disbanded. They vaguely made a reference to the rival in GSC, but this was another disappointment as nothing came of it.

FRLG are good remakes, but they unfortunately suffer from the devs trying too hard to focus on staying true to the originals and not adding anything too complex, plot wise and content wise. The Sevii islands were sort of a bare minimum bridge to fill in gaps gen 3 hoenn and kanto games had. It's almost as if the devs thought "we don't want to add TOO much here" throughout the post game of FRLG.

WaterTypeStarter

Discovering you can go to new islands and catch johto pokemon after the e4 was thrilling. Unfortunately, the story was too slow paced for me. The idea of going from one island to the next sounds cool on paper, but with no badges or strong storyline it fell flat. Team Rocket was especially disappointing. The protagonist was owed more than just a weak plot of team rocket vaguely stealing pokemon then quickly fleeing after they realize they've already disbanded. They vaguely made a reference to the rival in GSC, but this was another disappointment as nothing came of it.

FRLG are good remakes, but they unfortunately suffer from the devs trying too hard to focus on staying true to the originals and not adding anything too complex, plot wise and content wise. The Sevii islands were sort of a bare minimum bridge to fill in gaps gen 3 hoenn and kanto games had. It's almost as if the devs thought "we don't want to add TOO much here" throughout the post game of FRLG.
I personally think the first quest right after Cinnabar where you travel with Bill to meet his friend, defeat a Bike gang, and save Lostlelle is quite good. It is really the second quest after getting the National Dex that ends up disappointing. They could have done more with your rival, Lorelei, and Team Rocket.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I appreciated the addition of extra islands, and I still remember being shocked when I gained access to them after clearing Katsura's (Blaine's) Gym. I especially liked being able to find certain Gen II species on the islands, although I remember being disappointed that many were still missing.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The Islands were okay but several of the side quests and locations were rather annoying with Lost Cave and Altering Cave being the absolute worst of it. Icefall Cave wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been but the basement ice floor puzzle was frustrating. Mt Ember’s quest felt a bit too long to do and the Dotted Hole was pretty forgettable as it really held nothing of value other than the Sapphire key item.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The Sevii Islands are my favourite part of FireRed/LeafGreen, especially since Kanto is a rather bland region on its own, so I've always liked their scenery and sidequests, too.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like the Sevii Islands.

-Had braille (were the Regi people there?).
-Had a selection of Johto Pokemon.
-Had a Gold/Silver pre-episode.

Some personal experiences
-Found shiny Ledyba and Wobbuffet there.
-Hunted for Lapras in the cold cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.