• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of the VC releases of the Gen I-II games?

WaterTypeStarter

Do you find the quality decent? What did you think of it compared to the original releases from like 20 years ago? Did you think Nintendo handled it well? Did you wish for a physical cartridge? Do you wish the Super Gameboy mode for Red and Blue or the original monochrome Gameboy mode for Gold and Silver were possible? Do you want the Gen III-onward games made similarly availble?

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Nintendo did a great job with releasing RBY and GSC on the 3DS virtual console, but should have waited to release them on the Switch Virtual Console along with RSE and FRLG instead.

TwilightBlade

I downloaded the virtual console copy of Crystal but got really bored with it because it was just too basic compared to HGSS and it wasn't as fun as I remember it being when I was younger. The only good thing was the change to the Celebi event.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think that they are nice and easier to trade in between games now. Only thing wrong is that RBY are still riddled with bugs and glitches and GSC still has the Time Capsule issues.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought they were underwhelming, and I wasn't too fond of some of the changes. The only change that I did appreciate was Game Freak changing the criteria for the GS Ball event. It's just a shame that they didn't fix other issues in the VC versions of G/S/C, such as the awful leveling curve.

WaterTypeStarter

I thought they were underwhelming, and I wasn't too fond of some of the changes. The only change that I did appreciate was Game Freak changing the criteria for the GS Ball event. It's just a shame that they didn't fix other issues in the VC versions of G/S/C, such as the awful leveling curve.
What changes did you not personally like? For what reasons?

Leonhart

Imagineer
What changes did you not personally like? For what reasons?
A few attack animation changes, as well as Rougela (Jynx) having her sprite changed in the Japanese versions of G/S/C: I understand that the original sprite was controversial in the West, but I don't see why they had to change it in the Japanese versions of the VC Gen II games.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Considering they added things like moving Pokemon to bank, and the GS ball event in crystal, they’re pretty good ports even if the games themselves don’t really hold up.

if they get a rerelease on switch I expect these changes to remain and apply similar things to gen 3 and beyond ports if they happen (like the event items in the gen 3 games originally only at events being obtainable in some fashion).

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I like the fact you can actually catch Celebi in-game in the VC release of Crystal.
That was probably the best change especially since no one outside of Japan had ever gotten Celebi that way and its event giveaways were extremely limited and happened once I believe. I do wish that something was done to get Mew for the VC outside of Japan so that we could have a complete Dex for the first two Gens.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I’ve actually been playing through Gold and Crystal on VC lately, so I have some thoughts.

First - visually, they’re a little poor. There should have been a better scaling mode to display the games with a decent size but a sharp resolution. Other systems can display them just fine - the 3DS line is stuck with either a slightly blurred full size view that looks like something has been smeared across the screen, or a tiny, tiny original resolution view with an unnecessary border.

Beyond that ultimately minor gripe, they’re phenomenal. It feels great to play my first video games again, they hold up exceptionally well, and like has been mentioned, Crystal allows us to encounter Celebi in the US finally. Crystal additionally has a Battle Tower that laid the foundations for two decades of battle facilities and is quite fun on its own. Plus, we can easily and seamlessly trade with other devices with VC games. All around I’m quite happy.

I think my favorite part is probably just getting to play through Tin Tower again in its original form, or to hear the "Road to Cerulean City: Leaving Mt. Moon" theme once I’ve made it to Kanto… nothing is more nostalgic.

Honestly, I deeply love HGSS, but I return to GSC VC much more often. I hope they’re made available soon for the Switch with the next NSO system, assuming rumors are true that GB/GBC games are coming eventually.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
A few attack animation changes, as well as Rougela (Jynx) having her sprite changed in the Japanese versions of G/S/C: I understand that the original sprite was controversial in the West, but I don't see why they had to change it in the Japanese versions of the VC Gen II games.
Anyone know how they changed Jynx’s sprite? I assumed VC games were emulated. Didn’t the 1st Pokémon games only support one color per character?

jaden767

Amphetamine
Loved them. It's so hard to find the old cartridge versions of those games so having them on the virtual console was a smart move. Loved how we could catch Celebi in Crystal too.