• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Do You Think Of Tobias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragonfangirl

Awesome character and i wish he would reappear. I don't care if his purpose was to make Ash lose the Sinnoh League. I just find him awesome cause of that Darkrai, and Latios, and his 4 other Legends (or Dunsparces) !

I can see him coming back again in the finale league, him and Ash having another battle with Ash winning.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
One flashback could have done it, and the battle should have been two episodes to allow for some backstory. I liked his design, his attitude and his legendaries... but a bit more information wouldn't have gone amiss.

Cutty

Forever now
I find him cool for having Darkrai. But on other side, it's embarassing he had to lose w/ it.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
To me, Tobias was essentially an excuse from the writers to get to Unova faster, I mean, there was NO buildup to his appearance for one, and the fact he has legendaries is never explained.

LizardonX

Banned
Yes but none of that was mentioned onscreen. Its even worse considering just how much training we've seen ash do over the course of sinnoh and managing to defeat Paul the anime version of the EV trainer its like breaking down a brick wall only to find a steel wall behind it.

matt0044

WhyHelloThere

This guy below had a lot to say on Tobias and his episode in general. Check it:

http://jygersrant.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/jygers-rant-the-semi-final-frontier-review/

Holy crap.

I don't think anything in pokemon has ever pissed me off THAT much. Someone needs to take a pill. xD

I respect his opinion, although I don't agree with it. Tobias wasn't all that bad. At least he showed how strong Ash was for being able to defeat DEMrai. And I obviously don't agree with what he said about Iris.

Last edited:

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
For those of us who can't/don't want to see the rant itself, what does he say about both points?

WhyHelloThere

For those of us who can't/don't want to see the rant itself, what does he say about both points?

He had a lot to say about Tobias. Basically it's what most fans say about him. "Noob with a cheating device," "Probably has four Magikarp," "The writers are going to keep giving us the same crap year after year instead of Ash winning the league," "Bad ending," stuff like that.

Although he admitted Pikachu's battle against Latios was awesome.

He said Trip was a rookie and Iris acts like everyone is in diapers compared to her.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Tobais is old news now. Now that the league is coming, I wish that someone like him was in the legaue instead of these kiddy reject rivals we have now.

matt0044

He said Trip was a rookie and Iris acts like everyone is in diapers compared to her.

Well, Trip technically is (should be) and Iris called practically everyone a kid (how young said kid is up to what she meant) which is annoying (dub or sub for me). Plus, he said Tobias wasn't awful but his biggest flaws are how his character and Darkrai are never explained or given backstory and he's a far more blatant plot device than past league rivals.

Honestly, Jyger's right about if (from an in-universe standpoint) Tobias hadn't entered the league, Ash would've likely made it to the finals and actually won. Hell, judging by there being two episodes left in the series, it's likely the writers had to conclude the Sinnoh League then and there to prepare for Best Wishes. Had they had more time, Tobias wouldn't have been created at all in all likelihood.

Again, I don't hate Tobias but I do hate why he was created.

Kenny Pkmn Trainer

Snorlax HUNGRY!!!!!!
I have 3 things to say about him :

1. Anime creators SHOULD'VE showed all his Pokemon because they knew we are gonna be curious ( HECK , Let Ash beat those legendaries and lose to the last one )
I bet he had a Deoxys

2. I lost faith in the Anime when they told us there was only one darkrai in sinnoh at the island , but i think there are other darkrai's OUTSIDE sinnoh after seeing the Kanto pokemon in East Sinnoh episode.

3. Ash lost against a cheater(game-wise ) but still he had an excuse he couldnt win. If Tobias didnt had those legends , he would be toast. Ash didnt had his Charizard and Infernape ( and others ) and Anime-wise Ash would have won that fight with all his Pokemon he used in Kanto , Johto and Frontier.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Honestly, Jyger's right about if (from an in-universe standpoint) Tobias hadn't entered the league, Ash would've likely made it to the finals and actually won. Hell, judging by there being two episodes left in the series, it's likely the writers had to conclude the Sinnoh League then and there to prepare for Best Wishes. Had they had more time, Tobias wouldn't have been created at all in all likelihood.

If it was a matter of running out of time, they probably wouldn't have given three episodes to Ash versus Paul. I don't think that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.