• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think of TRs?

WaterTypeStarter

Essentially, they are the spiritual succssors of TMs from Gen 1-4, which became indistinguishable functionally from HMs in Gen 5 and 6. And with HMs obsolete, TMs take the role of unlimited use with TRs taking over TMs' old function. Do you like the distinction returning?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like how they expand the teachable moves like TMs without making things extremely complicated by going past 100. Trying to memorize 200 TM names and their respective numbers would get frustrating and the 100 we currently have isn’t guaranteed to remain exactly the same in Gen IX when it comes out as only Gen III And IV had identical TM numbers with Gen IV adding an additional 42 TMs.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I do think it's funny how they made a big deal of TMs no longer breaking in Gen 5, only to break the same mechanic back in Gen 8. TRs are breakable TMs done right though because of their abundance. I'm definitely happier with them than I ever was with the old TM system.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I liked when TMs were not breakable. So I was skeptical of TRs at first. Thankfully they turned out to be abundant, so my worry about them wasn't needed.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I liked when TMs were not breakable. So I was skeptical of TRs at first. Thankfully they turned out to be abundant, so my worry about them wasn't needed.
I agree. There are absolutely no only one TR and you don’t have to be so afraid that you’ll waste a really good one on a Pokémon that turns out not to be so great in battle. At one point I even ended up with 4 Surfs and 8 Dark Pulses which is pretty good.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
How exactly do TRs differ from Gen 1-4 TMs? Never played SWSH. Just know from online research.
Some really good moves taught by TMs were only found once per game unless you traded a Pokémon holding said TM. Gym Leader TMs were generally one per game until HGSS

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
It's not a bad idea, though I never understood why you had what's clearly supposed to be a TR shop in Motostoke that looks like an old-fashioned record shop, but you can't actually go in or buy any TRs from there, you just get one Focus Energy TR from a guy outside and that's it, all of the others come from the Watt Traders and Max Raids.

SoHowAreYou

It's not a bad idea, though I never understood why you had what's clearly supposed to be a TR shop in Motostoke that looks like an old-fashioned record shop, but you can't actually go in or buy any TRs from there, you just get one Focus Energy TR from a guy outside and that's it, all of the others come from the Watt Traders and Max Raids.
Probably was going to be a thing but the developers may have run out of time. I think there was a leaked beta where a lot of stuff got cut out for the final release, I'd be interested to see if that was one of the things that were removed.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I like them as an old call-back to the older generations while not being obstructive like in days past. The whole thing needs to just be abundance and availability. Breaking TMs in past games wouldn't have been a big deal if you could always acquire them again, but most of them you couldn't, which created an unhealthy limited resource.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Cool concept but making most of the TMs filler moves like Scary Face and Eerie Impulse was not worth it. Bad enough a lot of moves like Toxic got axed as TMs. They should’ve made the usually Move Tutor moves like Defog or old TMs into TRs instead. I hope they return to the Gen 5-7 TM system though

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I think the concept is neat, as while they break after use, you can get more copies and have the Move Reminder reteach the moves in question. In fact, I wish every Generation I-IV TM should have been like the TRs. That being said, I think a good number of the TR choices are too random, such as Bug Buzz (most Pokemon compartible with it get it naturally) and Power Gem (I do get the Amaura line not learning it, but Golduck, Espeon and the Lake Trio not getting it makes no sense), and instead of the TRs with very thin distribution, they should have had moves like Return, Frustration, Roost, Aqua Tail, Signal Beam, Defog, Knock Off, Toxic, Shock Wave, Sucker Punch, Water Pulse and Aerial Ace.

Flamer

They work nicely as raid rewards. Gives a good reason to keep coming back to them, even once you've caught the Dynaxmax Pokemon. Having the permanent TMs and breakable TRs is a nice solution to make more moves accessible, but keep some longevity in the game

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
Definitely limiting some of the better moves to TR's incentivizes you to continuously partake in raids, so that's definitely added to the playability factor. (Granted I do raids more so for the experience candy, don't judge me.) When I was initially playing through, I was curious as to why the TM's weren't anything special but that curiosity was addressed the more I played. Additionally, TR's being treated like ye old TM's definitely makes you consider what team members learn which moves, but the stakes aren't too high because you can just keep raiding to replace whatever TR's are used. I'm curious to see if they'll retain this system going forward, or just go back to HM's to really make us crazy. (That was mostly a joke...)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Some moves I wish were TRs if they can’t be TMs are Defog, Poison Fang (only Fang move not to be a TM or TR), Poison Tail, Meteor Mash (I just want more Pokémon, specifically Hitmonchan, to get it), Zap Cannon, Sky Attack, and Charge Beam.

Golden_Arcanine

I do think it's funny how they made a big deal of TMs no longer breaking in Gen 5, only to break the same mechanic back in Gen 8. TRs are breakable TMs done right though because of their abundance. I'm definitely happier with them than I ever was with the old TM system.

I feel like the bigger issue is that they were one-off TMs for the most part. If you wanted to teach more than one Pokemon TM 29 (Psychic), you had to have another game.

PCN24454

I feel like the bigger issue is that they were one-off TMs for the most part. If you wanted to teach more than one Pokemon TM 29 (Psychic), you had to have another game.
Yeah.

For some reason, people liked to have Earthquake on every single one of their Pokémon. /s

Real talk, that's honestly why I wish TMs were only single use. Everything has gotten so same-y.

Last edited:

Golden_Arcanine

Yeah,.

For some reason, people liked to have Earthquake on every single one of their Pokémon. /s

Real talk, that's honestly why I wish TMs were only single use. Everything has gotten so same-y.
LIS, it took multiple games to get the same move. And there were a handful of moves (Earthquake, Psychic, Body Slam, etc.) that dominated the metagame. Moves were nerfed a bit throughout the years, and there is more balance now then there was before.