• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think was a better Pokémon league, the Hoenn League or the Alola league?

What do you think was a better Pokémon league, the Hoenn League or the Alola league?

• Hoenn League (Ever Grande Conference)

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Alola League (Manalo Conference)

Votes: 31 42.5%

• Total voters

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I dunno but it feels like lots of folks didn't like Katie. I dunno why I thought she was better than Morrison and she was Ash's first female opponent who used a full team against him.

I didn't like her much because we hardly got to know her, but I thought she was slightly more tolerable than Masamune. Her battle with Satoshi was also coordinated better than Satoshi's battle with Masamune, not to mention that there was much less angst involved.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Katie was awesome. A badass female trainer. I didn't like Morrison because the trait of his character not being "confident" enough was already see many times prior to the HL. On the other hand Katie was one of the first badass female trainers to appear in the series. She deserved to fight Ash in the round of 16 imo. Loved her.

RafaSceptile

Why is Rafasceptile posts being marked for trolling for saying Katie had no development???

On another note, Jesus everyone stop. Can't people just agree to disagree on this site instead of using the same pointless arguments again and again.

100 percent agree with everything here

Good question because I was banned for 1 week without literally any reason, but the other guy wasn't

This is false.

Battles were never the main selling point of the franchise (collecting and trading was). And with the anime, the battles were not the main selling point either. It was the Pokemon as characters themselves and the relationship they had with humans.

As for the topic at hand, the Alola League blows away the Hoenn League, which is the second most inconsequential league besides Unova. Nothing of note actually happened and it was just fodder till the real climax of that series which was the BF (particularly Ash vs Brandon).

It is actually funny seeing Hoenn winning this poll, but that isn't surprising given the posters on this forum.

I feel like the Battle Frontier Arc has more an "U" Form, with an excelent start, then being worse in the middle and then being excelente in the end. Anyways, it was way better than the Hoenn League Arc

I did like Katie too because her battle was fun and it was nice to see ash battling seriously against a competent female trainer. Morrison was just horrible.

I like Ash vs Morrison Battle a bit more because Morrison was a unique Character, in the sense of his insecurity during the battles. The Battle itself is not so great as Katie's Battles but we see Morrison progression during the League, unlike Katie

Last edited:

Shuriken Throw

I liked how they didn’t skip any of Ash’s battles in both leagues. I think the leagues work better when they don’t skip Ash Ketchum’s battles.

I’d say Alola. It was great seeing Ash finally win a League. And that exhibition battle against Kukui was great.

Epicocity

Still part of the league arc tho *shrugs*
Your choice whether or not to count it, seems petty not to include it to me considering it capped of and ended the entire arc
I would say it's arguably not that petty. Ash got the trophy for beating Gladion and he needed to win the League to fight Kukui. By any application of logic, Kukui is not part of the tournament that is the League. He exists outside of it. This is the reason it's called an exhibition match. I agree it's part of its arc, but it's not part of the actual tournament and shouldn't be conflated with it.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's my choice, and that choice is that I don't consider it technically part of the League.
....Yes, that's what I said lmao, its your choice, we just happen to disagree on said choice.
I would say it's arguably not that petty. Ash got the trophy for beating Gladion and he needed to win the League to fight Kukui. By any application of logic, Kukui is not part of the tournament that is the League. He exists outside of it. This is the reason it's called an exhibition match. I agree it's part of its arc, but it's not part of the actual tournament and shouldn't be conflated with it.
It seems like making it more of a technicality for no reason. Like even if it's an exhibition match it's still a surplus of the league if you will, meant by the writers to conclude the league arc that started, intended to be the big main battle. So when talking about the Alola league for me it's petty not to include it since it plays an important narrative in ending the arc. Clearly the writers intended it as such but couldn't actually make it part of the tournament coz
A) including an extra trainer in the structure will lead to even more episodes since they didn't want to skip battles and would make the structure more messy than a 16 people structure
B) They still wanted Ash and Gladion to have their important place in the narrative to tie up their rivalry

Again if you don't wanna count it as part of the Alola league fine, imo it should be since it's still the league arc and intended to be the flashy battle by the writers

The Alola League had very low level participants except for 5 of them, so naturally, in general, the Hoenn League has much more competent participants, but, 2 of the best Alolans could easily win the Hoenn League. (Ash, Gladio and maybe Guzma) , So, to make a comparison, the Alola League would be like Ligue l (France), where only PSG wins and maybe another (Ash and Gladio). While the Hoenn League would be like Italy's Serie A.

So, from a competitive point of view

Hoenn League > Alola League (Serie A > Ligue l)

But. if we talk about writing and development over strength, then without a doubt

Alola League > Hoenn League

Hoenn, no contest. Alola has the worst league out of all of them