• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you think were the plots with the biggest wasted potentials in the Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Hey Guys, I want you to post the plot-lines, arcs, characters, etc. That you felt had big potential, but were underdeveloped or just completely ruined.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
The GS plotline, Misty and Iris' goals, the entirety of Episode N, GS plotline, Serena, Gary and Ash's rivalry, GS plotline.

Last edited:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
- GS Ball. I know they had to scrap it to make the Celebi movie more "wow", but they could have done it in a better way than to leave it with Kurt...
- Donphan. Didn't do much in BF other than vs Serviper after having a comeback to the main cast.
- Torterra. It didn't even get his revenge win vs Honchkrow or any other win
- Quilava. It had a hype evolution only to have minimal screen time.
- Trip. He could have been so much better, but I don't know what even happened.
- Team Plasma. The cancellation of TR vs TP really stung and failed to recover from there.
- Axew. Had a promising start and ended up as a comedic relief almost...
- Serena and Showcases. They were boring and not interesting IMO. Serena could have been handed much better.
- Goodra. Had some development in the beginning, but ended up going to waste almost.
- Sawyer. Had he been introduced earlier and as a secondary rival to Ash it would have been better.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The GS Ball storyarc had potential cuz it had been built up for so long. I wish it had been completed instead of scrapped. ^^

FulgoreX

Banned
The only real wasted potential was Team Plasma because 2 episodes were never aired, Giovanni's role in BW was reduced, and they changed whatever they planned for them.

GS ball being dropped was dumb, but what would we have gotten out of it? Maybe one filler episode with Celebi popping out? Honestly who cares.

EvanUn0

Most rivalries in Best Wishes- What I did like is that everyone had at least one rival. What I didn't like was how their rivalries were established. Georgia hates Iris because she was beaten by a Pokemon that just so happened to be a Dragon-type? Burgundy hates Cilan because he beat her in a battle once? Trip hates Ash because of where the latter came from? It feels like none of these rivalries went anywhere; there was no growth, no closure to some of them. Coulda been handled much better.

Episode N- I understand that the 2011 disasters messed everything up, but Episode N felt so underwhelming. I never cared enough for Team Plasma nor their goals, the mind control thing Colress made was so dumb, Charizard coming back was pointless, everything went by too fast, the list goes on.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Ash/Trip rivalry was a big wasted potential,in the beginning there was a big conflict when it pertained to regions.Trip always believed Ash came from the boonies and that didn't sit too well with Ash,around mid BW they dropped this little plot and went with a completely new one where they gave Trip a back story plot which had connections to the Unova Champion Alder,once this became the main focus towards the Junior Cup Tournament Arc they brushed the Ash/Trip rivalry aside and left it unfinished.Had Alder not been included then more than likely there would have been a full battle between the two at the Unova League which means there would be no reason for Cameron to even exist.

Janovy

Banned
- Clemont's goal and development.
- Serena's goal and rivals.

Sprinter1988

- Ash's slow building progression as a trainer throughout Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, the Battle Frontier and Sinnoh, from a rookie to a potential league-beater, only to be utterly nerfed once stepping foot in Unova.
- Misty - they finally figured out what to do with her and then dropped her.
- The Team Magma/Aqua plot was severely lacking.
- Unova as a whole was a load of wasted potential, especially as the writers got too focused on Oshawott and Pignite to do their rotation idea any good.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Many thing in this anime is wasted potential
OS Misty and brock goal, and Tracy, GS ball
AG aipom, donphan, team magma and aqua plot, steven, the ditto thief
DP aipom and ambipom, tortera
BW iris goal, cilan too, rivarly closure, team plasma, team rocket after melloeta arc, virgil
XY serena as whole( showcase, pokemon), clemont too, XY rival

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
OS: Misty in generell, Kanto gym battles, plot, actual development for both characters and pokemon, Kanto Pokemon overshadowing Johto pokemon, pacing, for today's standard super shitty battles and much more.
AG: May's Hoenn contest and development until the last contest, Ash not having any rivals, TA/TM climax not being as epic as in the games, Max not having many centric episodes, Brock doing nothing
DP: Dawn's whole team in generell was underdeveloped with Piplup being an annoying screenhugger, Paul's team against Ash in the league, too many episodes for a badge quest, pacing being **** in many parts, TG build up was as unimportant to the plot as in the games, Aimpom and it's release being the most pointless release ever, Togekiss
BW: Iris in generell and her goal being more underdeveloped than Misty, Ash's pokemon team being weak with many forgettable pokemon, less development for the whole cast, only a couple of episodes for the rivals, Dawn being pointless, Charizard's return in generell, Dragonite, not taking the TP plot (neither BW or BW2) for the anime, dissapointing battles after DP, the league and the badge quest being rushed as hell
XY: Serena showcase and her crush, league somehow, only a couple episodes for the rivals, TR returning to their old form, Noivern, Korrina arc being a bit pointless, continuity, Luxray, Sawyer's progress in such a short time, Ash being too much of a Gary Stu

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The Team Plasma Arc, the games had a great story where N was a fundamentally pure but misguided person who opposed the player because they thought it was right to change the relationship between pokemon and trainers. The anime just made N the good guy while Ghetsis did all the real villainy. N had already turned against Plasma so there was very little tension or drama between him and Ash. Zekrom, who made an epic appearance at the start of the BW anime didn't even show up. Ash's big battle with Giovanni was disappointing too, Ash finally meets his rightful archenemy, the leader of Team Rocket that tried to steal his Pikachu and terrorise so many of his friends, and all we got was Giovanni quickly OHKOing his pikachu in about 5 seconds.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
In Kanto it's Ash vs Giovanni. Nowadays I don't care to see them meet. Should have happened for the Earth Badge.
In Johto...to many things to list.
In Hoenn I can't think of anything. Oh wait yes I can Team Aqua and Team Magma.
In Sinnoh Ursula should have appeared earlier and been the second most important rival. She kinda already is but she should have been involved earlier in the Contest plot. The handling of Ambipom and it not even making it to the GF
I'm skipping Unova and going to Kalos. Serena and Clemont in general. XY should have just been Ash solo. Anything the Kalos sidekicks can do Ash does better so why even have them?

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
The GS Ball comes into mind since it was one of the main plotlines in the Orange Islands... then in Johto where Ash hoped for Cyndaquil to evolve someday and it finally did in Sinnoh (which took WAY too long) and the fact that it had a draw against Nando's Armaldo which was underwhelming. Donphan and Aipom not having much focus, some of the Pokemon that Ash had in Unova didn't have enough focus at all, Charizard not having much focus in Unova, and in Kalos, I guess it's Goodra's wasted potential after returning. It's nice seeing it back, but, it didn't live up to its hype when it returned.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Team Plasma, Team Magma, Team Aqua, Team Rocket (organization), BW Rivals, XY Rivals, GS Ball, Showcases, some of Dawn's rivals like Ursula and Nanda, and the list could go on for 20 more years.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The original Team Plasma storyline (it would have fleshed out Zekrom appearing to Ash at the start of the BW series), sadly it can't be helped as it would be very insensitive of the writers to show the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes moments after one of the biggest earthquake disasters in Japan.

Showcases could also have used a bit more fleshing out as well.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Every single thing within the Pokemon Anime. From the basic characters of any kind, pokemons, rivals and recurring characters, gym leaders, elite four, champions, villains and even CoTD, to the relationship between any others, in-game events and mini-arcs, even cities and geography and significant in-game locations. All are being wasted to produce more meaningful story plots, but instead we got so much fillers and unimportant episodes, and so much anime-original things neglecting what were provided already in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.