• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do your parents think about Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereotypical Nerd

My mom says I'm too old, so she won't let me buy the TCG, D; I think that my mom doesn't care about the games though, as long as its my money. My dad doesn't care, but doesn't like to talk about it.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
My mom really doesn't care, and my dad makes fun of it.

Agree with you but my parents are open minded with it EVEN IF THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED VIDEO GAMES IN THEIR LIVES BEFORE. They respect it though but they really don't open themselves to its gameplay. see, they are working with Govts and private sectarian places. Video Games as a livelihood and business are completely uncommon to my country some years ago.

Right now, Philippines Challenges itself to overcome the many video gaming capitals and create the video games that truly resembles the country itself. Just like how Nintendo EAD represents video games of Japan or EA of America.

You see, unlike most of you guys, my family and my country, the Philippines are not very grande exposed to home console and portable video games. Only on the PC. So you guys can call yourselves advantaged. While I see my country played as Pokemon Disadvantaged. But the anime could be the exception despite slow updates. Even if it is the Xbox players or PS3 players. With PSP as the exception.

And this is why I chose IT with specialization in animation and Game Development. It was thanks to video games, especially pokemon, that I found out what I enjoyed doing the most. Though my mom has came to respect our Wii for Wii sports

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
My parents didn't let me collect the cards when the fad first hit. In retrospect, they were savvy enough to know how quickly the craze would die down and how much money would essentially be wasted on simply collecting them. They did allow me to play the games though, and I had a sticker book for which six stickers were only 30p from the Newsagents, meaning I got the fun of "catching 'em all" without anywhere near the expense of the card game. I acquired starter decks as presents from friends and unwanted spares from whoever had them. Then my school had a major problem with cards being stolen or sold on premises, not to mention all the obvious distraction they caused, so they were banned under threat of confiscation. Funnily enough, I was one of very few who had interest in playing the actual card game, but nobody else did and so I never played a round in my life.

The video games on the other hand... well, my parents bought them for me so they clearly didn't mind! The fact that it was an imaginative and fairly non-violent game helped, especially as the simple "try your hardest and work alongside your friends to achieve your goal" message could only be beneficial. They even took me to Manchester to download Mew, and my mum sat through the nigh-unwatchable first movie. The cartoon (this predates anybody in my life including myself being familiar with the term "anime" so we all called it a cartoon) drove them barmy because I would watch the same Kanto episodes over and over again on Sky1, and the kiddie playtime and conversation was so Pokemon-centric. One time I demonstrated to my dad how the game worked it seemed to dawn on him just how much thought and strategy goes into the series. They didn't object to the series at all, just made light fun of it and likened it to the Star Wars and Thunderbirds crazes of their youth. Fads like South Park were considered far worse for 9-year-olds back then.

Nowadays... well, they know I play the games and even people who don't play the games knows their reputation for excellent quality. The anime is a guilty pleasure and probably best kept that way; sometimes if it comes up I'll say that the show ties into the games and I dip in and out. The TCG... well, I see them sold but I can't remember the last time I saw a kid holding a fistful of Pokemon Cards (that was like the iPhone of the day- if you didn't have a massive stack of cards in at least one pocket at all times, you were nobody) and in the UK the Pokemon craze doesn't really show its face apart from the major game releases. Still, when Black and White came out it seemed many of my nostalgic peers at university were suddenly back into it. As for my parents... well, I'm not on drugs so they're satisfied enough.

Necro101

My parents don't mind if I play Pokemon (or Skyrim) after I have studied and done the other life related important stuff first...

RAWK ON

Edit: My Dad watched me play all of Pokemon XD gale of darkness with me and stopped watching me play after I caught Lugia. His facebook is Miror B in XD gale of darkness. So he liked it for a bit.

Last edited:

PikachuLover71

Shiny Breeder
my mom hates me playing any type of video game, but my dad loves them and even sometimes wants to play with me lol

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
My parents don't really care that I play Pokemon at my age.

MY parents believe that me playing pokemon, taking japanese class, making sushi, and watching anime will make me move to Japan, so they're worried. They also think I'm to old to play pokemon video games, watch pokemon, play the TCG, and buying dolls... 14 isn't too old for that, right? Pokemon is forever... XD

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I'm old enough to make my own money and decide what to spend it on, and what my hobbies are.
I like to play Pokemon. My parents don't care, because my balls dropped and I don't mooch off of them anymore. They never cared much anyway about my hobbies. As long as I wasn't getting high my mom was happy, and as long as I was bringing girls home my dad was happy.

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
MY parents believe that me playing pokemon, taking japanese class, making sushi, and watching anime will make me move to Japan, so they're worried.

Wapanese are forever, yaknow? Nobody should bug ya for that. Except the sushi. That's plain gross.

Also, my mom hated it at first but now has no prob

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Nah, my parents don't understand it and i can't exactly explain it to them in the middle of a battle so they don't really understand what pokemon is.

My parents are glad that I play, when I was younger I wanted anything that was Starmie related, and my Dad used to always say, Starmie sucks and it always loses, just to make me mad, and he still does, it's too funny. :)

verdian

Pika-Awesome!
my parents dont care. i am only eleven but but i get things done when they are supposed to.

Bariokie

rock dog
I'm 13 years old and i think they dont care what i play but if i dont do my homework they take off my ds/laptop/tv -.-

miu miu

My parents don't care much, they like to tease me for it though XD
...Well, my Dad finds it a bit childish but he's only going by the anime =____=

The_UnAmerican_Idol

This... Is my Buddy.
My mom says Im too old, but she really doesnt care I play. I just tell her its been a part of my life for a long time and I cant let it go

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
My parents think that they're all called Pikachu. Except for Pikachu. It's just "that yellow mouse thing". -_-

Yeah, my parents think it's weird that I still play at 15, but they really leave it alone for the most part. My eleven-year-old sister, on the other hand...

Darkazure

Gentle Giant
my parents don't mind at all. so long as i don't screw up my grades.

cmitch25

I'm 20 and my parents couldn't care less about me liking pokemon. I've always liked it and always will. My life would feel incomplete without it.

wolf1095

Grass Type Trainer
My parents don't care since I always do the most important things in my life first, before wasting my time on worthless games (no offense, i love games and all, especially pokemon, but still...). Plus, i'm not like the no-life gamers who freak out, curse, get upset, yell, scream, whine (do I make my point) whenever things go badly/not how you want in a simple game. I just shrug and go on in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.