• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What does a show need to have in order to be considered an anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanrasan

For example, series like RWBY are not considered anime. However, like most anime, it is animated, and the author himself referred to it as an anime. Yet whether or not it is an anime is a controversy among fans. The same applies to shows such as Avatar: The Last Airbender. Therefore, I ask: what does a show need to have in order to be an anime?

It's a culture thing; not so much as the inspiration or art style.

It's a culture because it is portrayed and aimed towards an audience. That's why people are finicky about it and who works on it.

I remember Tokyo pop last decade tried motivating artists in the states to go for publishing manga and ended up stopping it not only because the artists weren't professional and lazy; but because of the name calling and elitism that went on with name calling and talking bad about the people involved because they weren't Japanese and the like, which is pretty stupid.

LizardonX

Banned
For one, it has to be made in Japan

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I remember Tokyo pop last decade tried motivating artists in the states to go for publishing manga and ended up stopping it not only because the artists weren't professional and lazy; but because of the name calling and elitism that went on with name calling and talking bad about the people involved because they weren't Japanese and the like, which is pretty stupid.

Purists have little to do with it. No, it's because Tokyopop scammed OEL artists and authors, basically ripping the rights away from them with shady contracts.

Here's a Tumblr post from someone who fell victim to them.

Last edited:

kanrasan

For one, it has to be made in Japan

Does the author have to be Japanese, though? Is it not considered anime if it is made by a Japanese person who lives outside of Japan? What if the author is someone who isn't Japanese, but lives in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.