• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What does it matter to Atheists if Christians don't believe what they do?

MustGetPlatinum

I would like to refer to the Italian fascist movement in saying "I don't give a damn". Then again, atheists like THIS piss me off, and are a major embarrassment.

TogeticTheRuler

Thats from gaiaonline, everything from there is a major embarrassment full of fail.

DarkPsychoBoost

Future World Emperor
I would like to refer to the Italian fascist movement in saying "I don't give a damn". Then again, atheists like THIS piss me off, and are a major embarrassment.

Agreed. I have no problem with atheists as long as they stay quiet about their "beliefs". But it bothers me when they try to get others to follow suit. When someone tries to "enlighten" others and bashes religion then they're simply asking for it.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
Agreed. I have no problem with atheists as long as they stay quiet about their "beliefs". But it bothers me when they try to get others to follow suit. When someone tries to "enlighten" others and bashes religion then they're simply asking for it.

oh, but its perfectly ok for religious people to "enlighten" others?

how about people who raise their children to BE religious, and shove it down their throats.

see, once you take away that nonsense, logic becomes a dominating force of someones mind, which can only be a good thing.

you want an example of why non-religious people sometimes have to shine the light of knowledge of fundamental retards?

try looking at the kansas court cases, and texas in general. heck, all the southern states, where they are trying to force their religion into schools, and consistently try to badmouth science because we discovered something that doesnt agree with what the bible wrote.

some sites even say that when "evidence arises that contradicts the bible, it is not the bible that is wrong, but your interpretation of the evidence", which is total nonsense.

religion drags people into a pit of ignorance.

and by the way, lack of belief is not a belief itself, so you cant play the line of converting etc.

do you convert people to "non-unicornism" or "non-leprechaunism"?

no you dont.

belief in god is irrational, illogical, and in todays world, by its very definition, delusional.

knowledge = belief with evidence

faith = belief without evidence (congregation of the doctrine of the faith, 1986)

delusion = belief in spite of evidence to the contrary

hence, when you preach about a book that contains lies such as the flat earth, the firmament and a magical garden, or when you seriously think there is a magical deity running around interfering with things, all of the evidence points to the opposite, making you delusional.

see, if you choose to say "god made the big bang and then left everything alone", well thats one thing, but a personal god is illogical and irrational, and all statistics point to him being nonexistent (i.e. the same or higher mortality rates of religious poeple compared to non-religious people recovering from cancer.

religion is dead, and only serves to hinder advancement.

i mean, statistically, religion is very bad for a nation.

compare the states to france, france to sweden etc, and among all the countries, we find that crime rates are higher in more religious countries, the same with teenage pregnancy, abortion, STDs and a whole variety of others.

even in america, there is a clear distinction between the religious and non-religious states with those who are religious having much worse statistics.

so yeah, if religious people would stop spouting off at everyone, talking about how their religion is the "one true religion", indoctrinating their children before they have a chance to make an informed decision, and proactively trying to stop scientific advancement, then let them think what they want.

but as long as religion spouts off at everyone and everything and trying to come across as morally superior when they are nothing of the sort, then the rest of the world has the right to tell them that they are wrong.

Personally, I'm a Christian. However, I'm open to all belief systems.
I hang out with quite a few atheists, and there's no real problem there. Unless the subject comes up, we never really even talk about our belief systems. If the subject DOES come up, we tend to be respectful of what the other believes in and that's that.

The whole "YOU SHOULD BE THIS" and "GIVE ME PROOF" thing is kinda dumb, IMO. If you believe in something, why shove it down someone else's throat? Just let them decide what they have faith in and accept the person how they are. I don't see any point in forcing someone into your system of belief. :/ There's lots of stereotypes about ALL belief systems that a lot of people don't like, and if you force that on them, things just become worse.

So it just doesn't matter to me. Atheist? Good for you! Muslim? Awesome! Jewish, etc? That's great. Its who you are, why should that matter to anyone else?

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
Personally, I'm a Christian. However, I'm open to all belief systems.
I hang out with quite a few atheists, and there's no real problem there. Unless the subject comes up, we never really even talk about our belief systems. If the subject DOES come up, we tend to be respectful of what the other believes in and that's that.

The whole "YOU SHOULD BE THIS" and "GIVE ME PROOF" thing is kinda dumb, IMO. If you believe in something, why shove it down someone else's throat? Just let them decide what they have faith in and accept the person how they are. I don't see any point in forcing someone into your system of belief. :/ There's lots of stereotypes about ALL belief systems that a lot of people don't like, and if you force that on them, things just become worse.

So it just doesn't matter to me. Atheist? Good for you! Muslim? Awesome! Jewish, etc? That's great. Its who you are, why should that matter to anyone else?

it matters because people run around stamping on everyone elses freedoms based on a delusion.

if someone wanted to be in a religion where you run around the house naked masturbating furiously to songs by celine dion believing that one day they would experience an eternal orgasm if they were devoted anough, so be it.

as long as they dont shove it down anyones throats.

for all history, religion has been downtrodding humans and their right to choose, and it is no different today.

i am still told, repeatedly, that i will burn in hell for not believing, and yet, when i tell them that zombie rabbits from the planet pluto will climb out from under their bed and eat their big toe one day unless they start howling at the moon, none of them go outside and do it.

why?

because its dumb.

religion postuilates the untestable and then says its the truth, which is the biggest logical fallacy of all.

its called a lie.

god is as real as the flying spaghetti monster, unicorns, and captain planet.

so like i said, they stop forcing themselves on others, stop thinking they are better than everyone else and that they are the only ones who "deserve" happiness, and stop preaching their religion to children who dont know any better, as well as keeping their religion away from all forms of education and science, and i will stop tellign them about how wrong they are.

remember, the world only bites back when religion forces itself upon it.

Stereotypes are great, amirite?

That's the thing; not all Christians are Hell-shouting maniacs who think they're better than anyone else and shout from the rooftops that you'll go to Hell for saying stuff like that. That's mainly Catholics and extremists, haha.

I highly respect your view point. You seem to be rooted in and willing to put up a fight for it, and that's what matters. You have faith in your beliefs, just as I do for mine. When you have faith in something, its hard for you to back down. That's where a lot of stereotypes come from.

Atheists are usually depicted as Emo-looking heathens who can't do anything but beat down on others for saying they're a Christian. I know that's not the case. Most are just normal people that have a different belief.

Most Christians are usually depicted as, like you said, people who just tell you you're going to hell and won't get off their high-horses. I'm one of the ones that knows, hell, I'm not perfect. I'm far from it. We were given standards that we will never be able to live up to, but just the thought of someone up there actually loving me, unlike my family, gives me an insentive. I know I"m not perfect. I know no one is perfect. There's no point in saying that we are, because we aren't. :/

You believe what you do, I believe what I do. We don't agree on one or two things, but that's all. Forcing something on someone makes them fear it even more. That's one of the main reasons that religious groups hate eachother, because they think what they believe is right.

I don't care if what I believe in seems silly or isn't true. I have faith.
You believe what you do even though it may seem silly to others.

There is, however, a common ground.

We know that we don't think the same thing, and that's where we agree. Religions shouldn't be pushed into every decision, they're a personal choice. If you don't believe it, great. I don't believe what you do, that's fine too. We're individuals, designed to think freely and live our lives how we want.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
Stereotypes are great, amirite?

That's the thing; not all Christians are Hell-shouting maniacs who think they're better than anyone else and shout from the rooftops that you'll go to Hell for saying stuff like that. That's mainly Catholics and extremists, haha.

I highly respect your view point. You seem to be rooted in and willing to put up a fight for it, and that's what matters. You have faith in your beliefs, just as I do for mine. When you have faith in something, its hard for you to back down. That's where a lot of stereotypes come from.

Atheists are usually depicted as Emo-looking heathens who can't do anything but beat down on others for saying they're a Christian. I know that's not the case. Most are just normal people that have a different belief.

Most Christians are usually depicted as, like you said, people who just tell you you're going to hell and won't get off their high-horses. I'm one of the ones that knows, hell, I'm not perfect. I'm far from it. We were given standards that we will never be able to live up to, but just the thought of someone up there actually loving me, unlike my family, gives me an insentive. I know I"m not perfect. I know no one is perfect. There's no point in saying that we are, because we aren't. :/

You believe what you do, I believe what I do. We don't agree on one or two things, but that's all. Forcing something on someone makes them fear it even more. That's one of the main reasons that religious groups hate eachother, because they think what they believe is right.

I don't care if what I believe in seems silly or isn't true. I have faith.
You believe what you do even though it may seem silly to others.

There is, however, a common ground.

We know that we don't think the same thing, and that's where we agree. Religions shouldn't be pushed into every decision, they're a personal choice. If you don't believe it, great. I don't believe what you do, that's fine too. We're individuals, designed to think freely and live our lives how we want.

but your missing the point.

your also falling for the same stereotype your accusing me of.

i never once said that i think ALL religious people yeel and scream at others about hell, even though it does happen to me quite often once i shatter their creationist nonsense when they try and teach it to people at the uni i work for.

however, as a non-religious person, i have NO beliefs.

if you choose to say that knowledge is belief, then yes ok then, but i dont believe anything without proof, which is logical.

believing without evidence is the very thing scam artists do.

they use pretty words and emotional ploys to make you believe something, then they use that position to further their own agenda.

i dont have faith in science, i teach it. i practice it.

i have observed bacteria mutating and becoming resistant to antibiotics.

there is no faith.

one only needs to THINK about things, and it becomes incredibly clear that the bible is complete nonsense.

i mean, the god of the bible commits so many atrocious acxts, and when one ponders about things, they realise that in order for him to exist, he would need to be so evil and sadistic that he would be considered a tyrant.

the problem you fail to see is my point that its the mindset of "im going to heaven" that pervades a lot of social issues.

the holier than thou concept is a dispicable one, yet, it is one carried by most religions.

i mean, like i said, agnostics have a solid ground, and i suppose i could be one too, because if a god came down and told me that he existed, i would believe him.

but if it was the god of the bible, i would sure as hell hate him for the atrocities he has commited, as well as many other moral arguments.

if you like the thought of a god up their loving you, then fine, you can run off and be as delusional as you want, but it wont change the fact that all the evidence points to there being NO loving god, that the bible is outright WRONG about MANY things, and that the only place left for god (the god of the gaps argument comes in now btw), is to have created the universe and then buggered off.

one day, we probably will have a deeper understanding of the big bang, and then he will be pushed even further back, but as of now, christianity, is by definition, delusional.

that means, by definition, christianity is a mental disease.

it fulfills all the criteria, check it out.

but all of that aside, the problem lies in religion pervading everything, where it is not wanted.

i mean, if peoploe arent raised religious, they dont become religious (with few examples to the contrary, but youll find that those converts do so purely out fo fear of death and the like, hence the number of deathbed conversions).

so yeah, the point should be raised again, that if noone talked about religion, and it didnt get shoved down peoples throats and tought to children as if it were fact, then there wouldnt be a problem.

all non-religious people would just move on to somethign productive if religion wasnt trying to cause a problem and halt humanity from advancing.

Ghost Dialga

Master Trainer
I don't believe it should matter. Your belief is your belief, that's just a right you are entitled to, and nobody should interfere with that by telling that your religion is right or wrong. It's impossible to convert every non-believer to be a believer, all you can do is hope they will become one, but if they don't, that's their choice. I myself am I Christian, I believe in God, but I don't try to shove that down other people's throats. I had an atheist friend once, he told me to prove God exists, I told him to prove He doesn't, he had no response. It's all faith.

Some people would try to use science as an excuse, but not everything can be explained using stupid facts and figures. If you choose to believe in what science says as all true, I don't care, but the way I see it, at least half of what you believe in science is just faith. It can be relied upon for some things, but just because a scientist says something is fact, doesn't make it fact.

I'm a Catholic, but that doesn't mean I believe Catholics are the supreme and correct religion, I share the belief of Eragon. (I don't remember the exact quote, but this is the basic meaning) "Perhaps all religions contain bits of the truth, and it's our job to find those bits and put them together.".

If you believe there is no God, I'll accept that part of you with out criticizing you, but you had better do the same for me if you want any respect from me. Otherwise I'll respect a tiny fly larvae more than I'll respect you.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
"but not everything can be explained using stupid facts and figures"

and this is why i hate religion.

the stupid... it burns...

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Call science faith if you want but don't call it unreliable; it is the most reliable way of discovering the world around us.

Elrade

Snarky snark snark.
Just as there are some Christians who will tell athiests (Or anyone who isn't Christian) that they'll burn in hell, there are some athiests who think they're "better" and "smarter" than the "dumb Christians" unwittingly making themselves and their fellow athiests look as bad as the idiots who make up like, 35% of most religions.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
A lot of people here are justifying pushing a certain view onto somebody else on the grounds that people with other views do the same thing. Others are saying that it's better to just respect that people have views and they should be left alone. To me, the idea of granting every belief some kind of golden badge of respect is at best silly and at worst dangerous. Disagreeing (or I suppose, disagreeing properly) is a good in itself because it helps for erroneous beliefs to be wiped away rather than being taken for granted or as dogmas. That's why it matters to me why some people are Christians. The same goes for most beliefs really, and I'm making a conscious effort to evaluate all sides.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I think religion is stupid.. it made more bad then good... how many wars aren't caused by religion... and what did it give... nothing!

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I think religion is stupid.. it made more bad then good... how many wars aren't caused by religion... and what did it give... nothing!

As much as I hate any organized religion, it still has given people determination and hope, that they have solved their own problems.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
and by the way, lack of belief is not a belief itself, so you cant play the line of converting etc.
A rose by any other name...

belief in god is irrational, illogical, and in todays world, by its very definition, delusional.

knowledge = belief with evidence

faith = belief without evidence (congregation of the doctrine of the faith, 1986)

delusion = belief in spite of evidence to the contrary

hence, when you preach about a book that contains lies such as the flat earth, the firmament and a magical garden, or when you seriously think there is a magical deity running around interfering with things, all of the evidence points to the opposite, making you delusional.
There is a massive leap here from the flat earth to the existence of God. There is actually no real amount of evidence contrary to the existence of God, simply a lack of evidence for the existence of. As such belief in God falls under faith, not delusion by your own definition.

see, if you choose to say "god made the big bang and then left everything alone", well thats one thing, but a personal god is illogical and irrational, and all statistics point to him being nonexistent (i.e. the same or higher mortality rates of religious poeple compared to non-religious people recovering from cancer.
What a pointless statistic to trot out, it shows nothing of any real merit to your argument, simply that you are assuming the motives of a personal god.

religion is dead, and only serves to hinder advancement.
Sorry Rene, guess your development of logical and rational reasoning based on religious grounds was for nothing. And your Meditations was dull too, oh well, better luck next time.

but as long as religion spouts off at everyone and everything and trying to come across as morally superior when they are nothing of the sort, then the rest of the world has the right to tell them that they are wrong.
Mr. Kettle, someone called Mr. Pot is on the phone for you... apparently you're black.

(or I suppose, disagreeing properly)
A nail just got hit on the head here. Well done that man. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with belief systems but the way in which it is handled is a very important one. I'm willing to bet that right now VenomPhoenix thinks I am a theist, when actually I am an atheist. I just firmly disagree with what I see as his downright rude debating methods and his fundamentalist attitude towards his own belief system.

MustGetPlatinum

...Let's think.
Well, for starters, every frigging war before World War One. And then, almost all wars AFTER World War One.
And World War One.

MustGetPlatinum

I don't really count that as a war, for some reason. And technically, it had nothing to do with religion so much as not having Jerusalem.

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
I don't really count that as a war, for some reason. And technically, it had nothing to do with religion so much as not having Jerusalem.
Your kidding right? Thats the most ignorant thing ive ever heared. Just dont say anything next time.