• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Featues Would You Like the Games to Focus On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfurian

With the reveal of these new moves for Pikachu and Eevee in LGP/E, I'm starting to wonder if the focus in these gen 8 games might be exclusive moves (although we still don't know if these new moves will remain exclusive to the Eevee and Pikachu lines). We've had them for a while, but they often end up being given to other pokémon in the following generation(s). That actually would be pretty neat IMO if they introduce a bunch of exclusive moves that are meant to remain forever exclusive, especially if they're strong enough (instead of being gimmicky) to make some Pokémon more viable.

Yeah, like XD for example giving us pokemon like metal sound zapdos or haze articuno.

Zaide

Yeah, like XD for example giving us pokemon like metal sound zapdos or haze articuno.
That's not quite what I was thinking about. I was thinking about something as simple as signature moves like Darkest Lariat, Sparkling Aria, Spirit Shackle, Fiery Dance, etc., but on a much bigger scale than what is currently done, and also affecting past generation Pokémon. Moves that would forever be exclusive signature moves. You look at past generations, and see that a lot of Pokémon saw their signature move lose their exlusivity.

That being said, when I rethink about this, I'm wondering if that would be pointless as the main Professor research focus. But with your post, and further thinking, I've seen a couple of ways something based on that could work :
  1. My first idea would be that Pokémon don't need to use a move slot to learn their signature move(s). Basically, it would be an additional "signature move slot" that would allow Pokémon with signature move(s) to have one of their signature moves in a 5th move slot. This idea was inspired from the feature in Let's Go, except it wouldn't randomly activate - it would always be activated. I think it could lead to some interesting builds and would give a meaningful purpose to signature moves, but at the same time, you end up with some Pokémon like Xerneas (Geomancy), Deoxys (Psycho Boost), Mewtwo (Psystrike), Blissey (Soft-boil), Groudon (Precipice), Kyogre (Origin), etc. who would simply become overpowered. There could be some solutions against that, though, some of which being :
    1. It could require an item that your Pokémon needs to hold. Basically, at some point in the game, and only once, you would receive an item that you can give to your Pokémon, and if that Pokémon knows a signature move, that item would allow you to have that 5th moveslot for it. It could always be a one time use per battle, but that would make the whole thing pointless compared to z-moves (even if it allows more coverage/utility since it doesn't take a base move slot like you need to do to be able to use a specific z-move)
    2. It could also have a mechanic where the item you receive is just an holder for a second item, which would be a stone or something corresponding to the signature move, and when you put the two together, you can have a Pokémon hold it. This idea would allow GF to have some very powerful signature moves not have an associated holding items, preventing Pokémon like Xerneas, with Geomancy, from having a ridiculous 4-moves coverage, for example.
  2. My second idea would be called "Move affinity". It would actually be distinct from "signature" moves, in that a Pokémon could have affinity with a move that is not a signature move (for example, Mightyena with Crunch), or in that a Pokémon would not necessarily have an affinity with one of its signature moves (for example, Xerneas might not have an affinity with Geomancy). Basically, this move affinity would kinda act like a secondary ability that only affects a specific move, adding power, effects, gimmicks, etc. when it's used, or maybe even having an effect on base stats or typing, or essentially adding a second ability when it's simply known. The activation of that move affinity could require an item to be held. Not every Pokémon would have a move affinity, though, and if no item is required, z-moves would not be affected by these move affinities. Just to give some examples :
    1. Mightyena's "Move affinity" could be with Crunch (I'm using Mightyena because that's the kind of pokémon that could benefit from something like that). When using Crunch, it gains +1 in priority.
    2. Mightyena's "Move affinity" could be with Crunch (this one is just to illustrate the base stats thing). Motivated by knowing its favorite move, Mightyena gets base stat bonuses of +15 in Attack and +15 in Speed.
    3. Arcanine's "Move affinity" could be with Extreme Speed. When using Extreme Speed, it becomes a fire-type move.
    4. Articuno's "Move affinity" could be with Haze. When using Haze, it only affects the opponent's Pokémon.
    5. Miltank's "Move affinity" could be with Rollout. When using Rollout, it becomes a 60 BP move.
    6. Chesnaught's "Move affinity" could be with Spiky Shield. When it knows Spiky Shield, any contact move used against Chesnaught cause a 12% recoil (in that case, it's basically like gaining a secondary ability when knowing its affinity move).
    7. Goodra's "Move affinity" could be with Sludge Bomb. With it knows Sludge Bomb, it gains the poison typing.
    8. Primarina's "Move affinity" could be with its signature move, Sparkling Aria. When using Sparkling Aria on a burned target, its base power is doubled before healing the target.
    9. Decidueye's "Move affinity" could be with its signature move, Spirit Shackle. When the foe switches out, the damage inflicted to the target is doubled before trapping it.
    10. and so on... Those were just examples to illustrate my idea. For #6 and #7, I'm aware those moves already have z-moves specifically associated with them, but all of this is just to give an idea of the possibilities.
I actually like my second idea more than just adding a bunch of new signature moves that would forever remain exclusive (meaning signature moves could be added at the usual rate), and more than the idea of having signature move as a 5th move slot, which poses balance concerns or require complicated conditions to prevent abuse. But, I must say, that's just me rambling out my ideas and I am 100% sure this will never see the day in Pokémon. \o/

Last edited:

Creyk

I hear these games will be "an epic adventure"so what I would like for them to do is to include seals again from gen 4. It's a great way to peronalize the battle mechanic and with the technological advancements that have happened since then, they could create some really cool looking effects.

Luthor

I think the GTS could do with some serious improvements. For a game requiring trading with items as a mechanic it really hasn't set up the GTS to help with that.

I'd also hope for a focus on postgame battling against trainers for level up for training up EXP and earning money. Like a VS seeker but with more fun. (even back in gen 1 the inability to refight the random trainers was disappointing to me.)

Last edited:

agent9149

I want them to focus on exploration. I want that to be the big thing. Huge routes with content filled with the brime.

JohnLynch

I want them to craft a world where Pokemon are living a nd breathing creatures in it. Yes, remove random battles (sacrilege I know). Have Pokemon which just stand there passively until you engage in battle. Have others which hide in grass and pop out at you in surprise (pseudo random. Except limit it to specific pokemon). Have other Pokemon that engage in battle with other certain Pokemon.

Reading the Ultra Sun dex entries I'm struck by how much of an ecosystem exists between these pokemon. If LOVE for Gen i' s "new mechanic" to bring that aspect to life

Bahmo

1 or 2, on the condition that working on them means making the AI better at using them.

If I can get creative with 5, I want Pokemon riding taken further down its logical route. I think I speak for at least quite a few of us when I say I'm sick of HMs. The Pokemon company clearly heard some of the complaining, given the changes made to games starting with SM, but in my opinion, the problems aren't really fully solved.

The biggest problem for me wasn't that Pokemon move slots had to be wasted on HM moves (and Rock Smash), that not enough Pokemon could use them, or that some of the moves sucked in battle. That problem peaked in Hoenn, because of how much of it was either water or mountains, but it's regressed ever since. The biggest problem for me is that making progress dependent on getting HM moves and being allowed to use them out of battle ruined the illusion of being on an adventure with fantastic creatures. When I'm constantly being dazzled with sparkly visuals and talk of what Pokemon can do, I don't want what they can do limited to certain situations. In that respect, sadly, SM/USUM didn't really fix anything with how they replaced HMs, nor are LGPLGE looking to fix them. As it stands now, you still have to wait until the plot says so to ride Pokemon and use their abilities.

I don't like that. When I obtain a Pokemon that's supposed to have super strength, I don't it to be unable to move heavy objects until it learns a move, nor do I want its supposed abilities to be rendered useless by summoning another Pokemon with super-strength; a Pokemon that isn't mine and that only performs feats related to said strength, and then leaves. I want to ride my own Pokemon, to use my own Pokemon's abilities to conquer obstacles, and I want to be able to do that, when or where I want, without plot limitations, and I want several options. An obstructive tree that could be cut down, should also be able to be burnt down. An obstructive Snorlax that could be woken with a Poke flute should also be movable by a strong enough Pokemon. Basically, get rid of all the locks and keys you can, in favor of a physics system that invites exploratory play, and instead use overpowering opponents and an event system to dictate the game's flow.

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
To be able to play/travel to other regions similar to Gold/Silver.. Also, to be able to pick teams like, Breeder, Ace Trainer, Rocket etc.
.....Bring back secret bases and make it more interactive with other players. I'd like, to see the option of live trainers walking around that you can see in the main game via, internet connection and you could find them/interact with them.
(maybe that'd entail having a Max amount of other trainers at a time in a lobby (region)

Nodame

Misty <3
I want this Gen to focus on creating new Pokemon. Megas, variants and Ultra Beasts were enough excuses for them not to create new Pokemon. If anything, I'd love to see some actual evolution of previous Pokemon and pre-evolution as well. For example:

- Pre-evolution of Audino, Miltank, Snubull.
-Evolution of Dunsprace, Corsola, male Kirlia, Eeveelution.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
-Evolution of Dunsprace, Corsola, male Kirlia, Eeveelution.
But male Kirlia DO have an evolution. Did you mean male Snorunt?

Creyk

To be able to play/travel to other regions similar to Gold/Silver.. Also, to be able to pick teams like, Breeder, Ace Trainer, Rocket etc.
.....Bring back secret bases and make it more interactive with other players. I'd like, to see the option of live trainers walking around that you can see in the main game via, internet connection and you could find them/interact with them.
(maybe that'd entail having a Max amount of other trainers at a time in a lobby (region)
These are like the best ideas posted yet. I wish they were cool enough to actually implement double regions again.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
More minigames! We seem to be getting less of them these days. No Game Corner since HGSS (at least then they had Voltorb Flip), Safari Zone has been missing outside of remakes since gen 5 inclusive, ORAS also removed the berry mixing minigame... USUM did give us Mantine Surfing but at the same time the festival plaza missions were so much worse than the B2W2 entralink missions and the photo stuff was... limited.

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
I also, liked the idea of Pokemon Ranch, haven't played it myself. If something, like a "interactive' Pokemon Ranch 2 (possibly interactive online "too") were to come out, I think that would be great; However, I think it'd be great if this 'Pokemon Ranch 2" had "software updates to store new" reginal Pokemon, and be able to "store the total amount of Pokemon their are all together in this Ranch, at least", if not more.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Since this thread hasn't been posted in for over 3 years, it's been locked. Don't necrobump old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.