• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Featues Would You Like the Games to Focus On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen82

The past two generation has introduced us to many new, for lack of a better word, features in the Pokémon games. The most important to the gameplay said of things has been the Mega Evolutions and Z Moves.

In gen 8 which one would you like to be brought back? The list are down below.
  1. Mega Evolution - Enhancing old pokemon.
  2. Z Moves - Powered up moves.
  3. Regional Variants - New spin on old pokemon.
  4. More Pokémon - The last couple of gens have been light on brand new Pokémon. This could also included more Split and Pre Evolution of old Pokémon.
  5. Other - If I forgot something let me know.
Personally I would like them to focus more on more Pokémon and regional variants,

Cerex

In order of my preferences:
1. More Pokemon: Gen VI and Gen VII had very few Pokemon, I wanted another Gen III or Gen V, where were were introduced to multiple Pokemon of different types.
2. Mega Evolution: I understand their concerns, many Pokemon that have received Mega Evolutions did not have competitive value, and thus with their Mega Stones introduced you basically know if they show up on a competitive team that they are the ones holding the Mega Stone. Beedrill is not gonna show up unless it can Mega Evolve. However, I don't think that's really a bad thing, and compared to how much of a second life Mega Evolution has given to some Pokemon, it's certainly worth it to explore it more.
3. Regional Variants: I don't think they've explored this as much as they should. It's a really great idea, and it offers tons of potential to revisit old Pokemon in a new light.
4. Z Moves: Honestly I don't really care for Z Moves, it's a fun OHKO or some status move boosts, but if the concern was Mega Evolutions was predictable I don't see how Z Moves are any better, i.e. Eevee Baton Pass. Plus, it seem very tied to the story of Sun and Moon, and outside of Pokemon getting specific Z Moves there's not much more here.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I think most of the time the answer will always be, more Pokemon..... Which is why I'm gonna pretend that's not on the list.

I think more Regional Variants is my top choice. While I like Megas, and definitely want more. The notion of regional variants sounds awesome. And really could be expanded on in many fun ways. I would like to see them focus on more overhalls to both types and movepools like with A.Vulpix than small changes like with A.Raichu.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Out of all those options I'd like to see them focus on new Pokemon instead of gimmicks like Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves.
  1. New Pokemon - Since the last two Generations introduced around 70 Pokemon I'd like to see another Generation have around 100.
  2. Regional Variants - I did enjoy the Alolan Forms that actually changed the original Pokemons design and typing. Good examples being Marowak, Sandslash, Ninetails, and Raichu. I'd like to see this trend continue and see regional variants of Pokemon from Johto, Hoenn, etc.
  3. New Evolutions/Pre-Evolutions - Generation 2 and 4 introduced new evolutions for older Pokemon. So I say why not keep this idea going? Older Pokemon who aren't relevant anymore could get a new evolution to become relevant again.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
1. A good well-crafted story filled with great characters that venture through with you like Gen 5 and Gen 7
2. Challenging Bossfights, like Gym Leaders, Totem Pokemon, or Villainous Team Leaders
3. Great quality and quantity Pokemon like Gen 5.
4. Pokemon Adventures, the manga, references/promotions. You can tell a lot that the Pokemon games have borrowed and adapted some material from Pokemon Adventures, like Gen V's story, villains, and N is literally the Yellow Arc's story of friendship vs liberating Pokemon from humanity, the Elite Four villains, and Yellow and Lance both can talk to Pokemon like N. It would just satisfy me if we get a little bit of acknowledgement of Pokemon Adventures in the games like they did with the anime through that Sun and Moon demo or Pokemon Yellow.
5. Outstanding post-game like Gen V's post-game. It felt everlasting more than Johto's to be honest.
6. Pokemon Stadiums featured in Pokemon online multiplayer. If there going HD, they have to bring back stadiums from the Pokemon 3D simulators! It's an absolute must-have at this point.
7. Better Pokemon Battle Animations. I like the more realistic natural Pokemon animations of the 3D battle simulators that gave personality and that animalistic instinct to Pokemon, not to mention they actually move ahead when they use a physical move, whereas the 3D battle animations in 6th and 7th gen feel too robotic.
8. The return of the Pokemon Announcer in online multiplayer! He was such a fun addition that brought life and action to the battles.
9. Couch and online co-op for Stadium's minigames and the return of Pokeathlon. Everytime you win the minigames, you get Battle Points.
10. Freedom-of-travel featuring Pokemon that can go anywhere! I want to see Mantine's using hydro pumping remoraids rocketing across Mt. Coronet, Drifblim floating in the air to get a better viewpoint, lava-surfing on a Magcargo's shell, riding on a Poliwrath that runs like a boxer (think Little Mac) grabs onto a ledge, leaps onto the ground and dives in the ocean performing spin dives to gain speed boost underwater! That would be my dream pokemon game right there! Perfect for a Pokemon Adventures video game adaptation, that would be the best way to re-explore Kanto from a different point of view, not Pokemon Go mechanics.
11. Side quests, including side quests featuring legendary Pokemon as rewards, similar to how Elder Scrolls has Daedric quests and they give you legendary weapons upon completion.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
More Regional forms that is more focused on Pokémon from other regions unless the new region is an environment that makes sense if a Kanto Pokemon gets a variant such as Magikarp turning a different color and stronger due to a much harsher living environment such as a desert.

More evolutions for older Pokémon that desperately need one such as Farfetch’d, Dunsparce, And Luvdisc.

Alternates for Gyms to challenge to add more diversity and allowing players choose which way to go. What I mean is keep the 8 Badges necessary to challenge the Elite Four but have more than eight Gyms and branching routes that allow players choose which Gym they want to challenge. Make it similar to how BW2 gave us different Gyms and Gym Leaders in more Cities while keeping the original Gyms in the game.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
  • Good features that define the game.
  • A decent regional Pokédex size so that there’s a variety of Pokémon from different regions.
  • Introducing sufficient new Pokémon. I think it should be at least 100.
  • Fast-paced battles for quick gameplay.
I would look at a varied amount of core things to focus on because if they focus too much on one of them I think it may ruin the quality of the others.

Creyk

I think it would be nice if seals returned from gen 4, and also expand on rideable pokemon, keep that feature from the GO games but make it usable with a lot more pokemon.

raichu27

I would like to see mail, radio, and phone from Gen 2 to return.

I would also like to see more type combinations and mega revolutions.

A little more special rock and fairy type moves would also be nice to see. And a little more powerful psychical electric and ice type moves that can paralyze and freeze an opponent. A damaging steel move that can burn an opponent would also be nice to see.

landipan

I want to see more regional variants, maybe see even more history on how those variants came to be, I find that really interesting.

Also, it's something small but I'd love to see expanded, I'd like them to go further with Pokemon Amie/refresh, Maybe have a play room for the Pokemon to interact with one another and such (think Nintendogs).

But most importantly I want a good in-depth story, and a return to having a rival that really feels like a rival, not just your friend that you have a friendly battle with!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
My obvious answer would go to new Pokémon. I always find it fascinating on what new designs they came come up with. I'd like to see some unique type combos as well as a decent number of new ones. Speaking of Pokémon...

I'd really love it if they expanded on the idea with interacting with your Pokémon or the Pokémon in the overworld. Things like Pokémon Amie/Refresh, walking Pokémon, riding Pokémon, playing with NPC Pokémon etc. is a good start, but if these can be even better or if there are new ways to interact with Pokémon, I'd be very happy.

Post game focus please. Most people seem to agree the post game of the more recent Pokémon games have been fairly lacklustre. I personally feel their idea of a post game is competitive battling/online play and not everyone is into that kind of thing. Big postgame areas, sidequests and activities would be more than welcome to me.

If there has to be a gimmick in this new gen, I hope it's actually good and not blatant fanservice or nostalgia pandering. I didn't care for Mega Evolutions or Z moves all that much and while regional variants were OK, I'd rather see brand new Pokémon over old Pokémon with a new coat of paint. If anything, I'd rather see them not rely on gimmicks and focus on other aspects.

There's probably more than this, but I can't think of anything else for now...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
New Pokemon: 100 new Pokemon, and I mean completely NEW Pokemon. Not counting Megas or new regional forms.....

Megas: Gib Flygon pls, and some Johto Pokemon like the starters could really use some love too!

Postgame: Something like Episode Delta or Rainbow Rocket preferably

Making old event Pokemon like Deoxys obtainable in-game. They keep adding three new events each region, and those of us in the Americas don't receive the old events as events instead we get boring regular old Pokemon with "special moves", so fascinating! Kinda unfair to the newer players who'd want Pokemon like Mew. What they did with Deoxys in ORAS and Celebi in VC Crystal was great! And I hope they do that more often.

Zaide

What I'd want more from the features we currently have are one of these (because it's very unlikely we'd get even two, let alone more, of those) :
- More mega-evolutions. I'm not alone on this it seems. Lapras, Vileplume, Omastar, Kabutops, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Exploud, Probopass, Flygon, Cacturne, Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Luxray, Froslass, Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Malamar, Cincinno would be my top-20 wishlist.
- More regional variants. It's hard to say which Pokémon should get one considering it will depend on the region, but I think it was a great idea and it needs to be pursued.
- More evolutions. Something many have wanted for years. I don't know why they stopped after gen IV, but some Pokémon could definitely use an evolution. Jynx, Girafarig, Dunsparce pls, Qwilfish, new EeveelutionS...
- More z-moves that are not just higher damaging moves compared to what the regular z-move would be (see the z-moves for the Alolan starters especially...). Basically, more z-moves like Clanging Scale, Extreme Evoboost, Genesis Supernova, with an added special effect.

Also, it seems like the "new feature" is always related to the regional Professor's work.
- Gen II : Professor studies breeding, so breeding was introduced.
- Gen III : Professor studies habitat and behavior, and weather and abilities were introduced. While not exactly related, you could say abilities are linked with behaviour and such.
- Gen IV : Professor studies evolutions, and several evolutions were introduced.
- Gen V : Professor studies origin of Pokémon, and a very large amount of Pokémon were introduced, as well as several legendaries.
- Gen VI : Professor studies mega-evolutions, so megas were introduced.
- Gen VII : Professor studies attacks, so z-moves were introduced. There was also professor Oak's cousin, studying regional variants (introducing Alolan forms), and the guys at Aether foundation studying ultra-wormholes (with which they introduced Ultra Beasts)

So with Gen VII introducing so many new features, I think this generation is perfect to take a break and focus on improving on existing features. Otherwise, what I think we could see are :
- A professor that studies Pokémon symbiosis and relationships, which could allow the introduction of more "linked moves" (like those tutor moves for the starter pokémon) and/or "linked abilities" (like plus/minus).
- A professor that studies Pokémon training, which could allow better control over IVs/EVs (I saw someone propose, in another thread, that we could manually distribute EVs after earning them, much like those ability/statistics points in several RPGs, and thought it was a neat idea)
- A professor that studies Pokémon evolution, which while similar to regional variants, would allow the introduction of "past forms" of Pokémon. Or fossile forms. What they were before becoming what they became. I think you understand.
- A professor that studies Pokémon fusio... Yikes, no, please.
- A professor that studies alternate evolutions, which could bring more Gallade, Froslass, etc. Evolutions based on gender, certain conditions, etc. And this could open up the way to several eeveelutions too.
- A professor that studies Pokémon abilities, which could allow the introduction of several new gimmicky abilities (even if SM had its fair share), and/or of powered up abilities (with an item, just like z-moves or megas).
- A professor that studies Pokémon bonds with their trainers, which could bring up trainer adaptation (no idea what to call this, but a Pokémon base stat could vary based on its bond with its trainer, while being separate from IVs and EVs) or even Pokémon customization (which should remain for aesthetics only). Could also introduce more "bond forms" like Ash-Greninja for certain Pokémon, with the Pokémon taking on features from the trainer.

Can't think of anything else right now. I'd love the last mechanic personnally, but would much rather that they focus on existing features, as I said.

Last edited:

Flamer

Big ones
1. New Pokemon. Lots of new Pokemon. At least 100, if not 150
2. A really good story, which some actual player choices. And more side-quests
3. Post game content. Kinda ties into the side quests. Not necessarily Battle Frontier, I'm actually quite happy with the Battle Tower + online competitions combo they've gone with in recent years. But more areas to explore, big Regional dex. Maybe some side-games, (Pokeathalon, Contests kind of thing)
4. Boss battles. In line with the Totem Pokemon, which were a great idea and just the right level of challenge. Not Ultra Necrozama like. That was just annoying

Other stuff
5. More regional variants
6. More Mega Evolutions
7. Soaring, or some similar mechanic. The Ultra-wormhole thing from USUM was fun too. Basically something cool to do with your Pokemon
8. Customise ride Pokemon
9. VS Seeker, or some sort of re-match system. Include Gym Leaders in this, (if Gyms are a thing)
10. Poke Pelago style passive features. So handy being able to go off to work, come back the next day and have your Pokemon EV trained. Great for those of us who can't pour hours into the game
11. Secret Bases

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm always going to want more world building. Maybe some more side quests that focus on some part of society like making gyms.

Gen82

Well this is one of more active topics I have ever started.

Since many people are talking about story elements I think I will add the story structure want to see.

It would start off like any other pokemon game until you get to your first rout. Instead of going down a set path you would have to choose one of three paths out of town. Eventually all routs will loop back to the home town. Then you would choose a second path to go down. You would need to do two path loops to get on to Victory Road. Needless to say this would give the games great replay value as the Gym leaders you face and the other charters you would meet would be different on each path.

There will be comply different pokemon on each rout. For example you could have a regular Geodude on one rout, an Alolan Geodude on another, and Roggenrola on the last. Everything will scale properly and the dungeons would get longer or shorter by with rout you took first.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I'd like the games to focus on exploration again, with lots of backtracking and branching paths. I don't want them to be open-world games, though.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
The main thing I want is the ability to customise PokeBalls to whatever we want whenever we want. There are so many combinations I’d love to have (Moon Ball Lunatone, Dream Ball Mienshao, Alola starters in non-standard Balls etc) but I can’t get any of these without hacking. It’s frustrating that they allow us to customise our PokeBalls but restrict it to whatever Ball the female is in. Giving us an NPC that could change it for us, or even making Ditto able to pass on its Ball, would solve this.

The rest:
- Apricorn Balls to be purchasable. Limiting them to one a save file like the did in SMUSUM was just stupid.
- Safari, Sport and Dream Balls to be obtainable again and free to use anywhere, not specific events or areas.
- More Megas. Flygon, Golduck and Cacturne are the ones I want most.
- A way to switch a Pokémon’s ability to its Hidden Ability and back.
- The PSS to come back. It was infinitely better than the Plaza.
- Skippable cutscenes and tutorials. I’ve played since Gen1, I don’t need to be told over and over how to catch a Pokémon or what a Pokémon Centre is.
- IVs and EVs to display actual numbers and be available from the start of the game. The IV Checker in the PC was a start but that’s still restricted to the postgame and doesn’t give specific numbers, and while the EV Checker is available from the start it also lacks numbers. Would make EV training so much easier.
- No more SOS battles.
- Triples and Rotation battles to return.
- A way to quickly level up Pokémon. If they change the requirements for Hyper Training then this isn’t an issue but after ORAS and the Blissey bases, levelling in Gen7 is painfully slow.
- Not being forced to catch/accept the box legendary or any Pokémon I don’t want. USUM Type: Null being thrown at me for example.
- Explosion and Selfdestruct to be as powerful as they were in Gen1-4. They’re pretty much useless now but back then you could basically OHKO anything that didn’t resist them.
- If they bring back Ride Pokémon then I don’t want to have to hold B to make Tauros, or whatever it’s new equivalent could be, run faster. It should run at full speed automatically.
- More customisation options like non-natural hair-colours and jewellery.
- To be able to see a Pokémon’s stats on the GTS.
- On the GTS be able to search for Pokémon asking for what you’re looking to trade. For example I’m trading a Cyndaquil and the game would bring up all trades asking for one.
- Better hack checks. I got 3 hacks in one night off WT a few weeks ago and the GTS is full of trades asking for Male Ditto, lv10 and under Gabite, and things like that which are impossible to obtain.
- A Hard Mode. I’d like a challenge, Game Freak, I really would.

I don’t expect a lot of the above to appear, if any of it does, but it would be nice.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Exploration. If an increased focus on making a more open ended and explorable map isn't a major part of this game they've utterly failed as a console developer. It doesn't need to be open world... yet, but definitely a significant step up from the linear hallways of Kalos and Alola. There's about a zillion other things I'd like to see as well but that is by far the most important aspect of this game, if I see yet another corridorfest like the last couple of games I'm legit quitting this series.

Manchee

extra toasty
If they have to add anything from previous generations, I would prefer Mega Evolutions and/or regional variants over Z-Moves. That's mainly because I want more Pokémon to choose from over super-powered moves. I'll echo the opinion that it would be cool to see this game have open-map as it's big feature, because the past few games have been too linear for my liking, especially Alola and how much it walked you through everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.