• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Final Fantasy game should I play first?

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
Please, I need some help. I've never played a Final Fantasy game before. (Yes, I know, blasphemy), and I'm curious about which one more experienced players think I should try first, since there are quite a lot. My available systems are: PS2, Wii, DS, and Gameboy. I'd prefer not to buy a whole new system. What is most important to me is the story, really. Pretty graphics are nice, and good gameplay is really important, but quite honestly I will slog through an ugly-looking game with bad gameplay if the story is compelling enough. I would prefer not to start with an extremely difficult game as well, because I fail at gaming. If you have an idea, please let me know (and an explanation of why this game would be great)

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
umm seeing as u have a ps2 i say final fantasy 10 will be ur best bet. its really nicel ooking and was amazing back in the day when ps2 was top :p the graphics are great for ps2 and the gameplay is fun imo. its a great story to. for ps2 u only have that or 12 to choose from :p and 12 is just terrible

Hikatoshi26

if you have a playstation VII if you have a ps2 X if you have a ps3/360 XIII.

Also FF V is more than worthwhile and can downloaded in PSN store.

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I'll play X and VI, since they're on systems I own.

Bokk

You can also download FFVI from the Wii Virtual Console. You'll need a classic controller or Gamecube controller.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
If you already intend to play them all, play XIII first. That way, you'll know that it's all uphill from there.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
If you already intend to play them all, play XIII first. That way, you'll know that it's all uphill from there.

Seconded.

he doesnt own a system to play it and besides 12 is way worse then 13 even tho i liked 13

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Anywho, if you intend on getting VI on the GBA, be careful if you're buying it online. I got it off Amazon not too long ago, and it took me three tries to get a legitimate copy. There are tons of fake copies.

The Admiral

Anywho, if you intend on getting VI on the GBA, be careful if you're buying it online. I got it off Amazon not too long ago, and it took me three tries to get a legitimate copy. There are tons of fake copies.

This rings true of basically any popular game, too, though. Thankfully, there are virtual consoles out there, so depending on the methods being used to get those games...

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Play them all In order, that wy, it would be like you were a FF fan from the start, and your fast forwarding through the times between releases.

killercloud

I'd say FF VII first; the best game imo, also try VIII and IX; they are really popular but I personally didn't like them. X was fantastic so that's also a good one to go with. XII gets a lot of stick but I quite enjoyed it although the battle system (or lack of as it may be) kinda sucks.

Overall X or VII I'd say.

LilPrinnyDood

Flat chest huh?
lmao at the ff13 haters here. Anyway the best one to start with is ff10, its easy to understand and very user friendly. The only other ones that are beginner friendly is ff1 for gba/psp or ff7 for ps1.

Last edited:

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
I would suggest FFIX to start off with. It combines references and elements to previous games and really gives you a very vibrant experience without it being overly complicated. Plus there are a number of very memorable plot twists that will pull at your heart strings. With the exception of Quina and Amarant, the bulk of the characters are very memorable.

Ampy

Light The Stars
Wouldn't that be bad since you wouldn't know where the references and elements came from?

Basically this. IX is definitely my favourite in the series but I don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much if I didn't know where all the references were from.

On topic I'd say start with VII or X like a lot of others are saying, they're very easy to get into. Unfortunately the price tag on a PS1 copy of VII is pretty high and the PC version is half-assed, so unless you have a PS3 and can get it off PSN then I'd say start with X.

The Admiral

lmao at the ff13 haters here.

Sorry for having an opinion.

Anyway the best one to start with is ff10, its easy to understand and very user friendly. The only other ones that are beginner friendly is ff1 for gba/psp or ff7 for ps1.

FF10, though, is pretty easy to learn. I don't remember FF7 being especially user-friendly compared to the others. FF1 is certainly easy to pick up, especially in the later ports. If you're playing an NES version, no matter the methods... yeah, not a good place to start. Especially with the lack of the retargeting attacks that target nonexistent/dead targets.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
Sorry for having an opinion.

FF10, though, is pretty easy to learn. I don't remember FF7 being especially user-friendly compared to the others. FF1 is certainly easy to pick up, especially in the later ports. If you're playing an NES version, no matter the methods... yeah, not a good place to start. Especially with the lack of the retargeting attacks that target nonexistent/dead targets.

u can get lost kinda easy in ff7 if u dont know where ur going so ya its not entirely user friendly like X where its just linear to the max