• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What First Attracted You to Pokemon? What Keeps You Playing?

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Yes, you obviously LIKE it. But what MAKES you like it? Be more specific please!

yoshi1990

Yoshi Trainer
I dont think i can be more specific i have just always liked it.
maybe its the cool pets with powers or maybe its trading and battling pokemon with others or maybe its trying to complete the pokedex or maybe its all of those or none of those I dont know why i like it i just do and always have.

cmitch25

Well, It all started when I was seven and got the first 12 episodes of the anime on VHS for christmas. Eventually, I started collecting the cards and found out about the games. However, I didn't get a gameboy until I was 9 because my was afraid I would break it. I got a glacier GBA and the first games I bought were Pokemon Gold and Silver and I've been playing ever since. I don't collect the cards anymore or watch much of the anime. But, I'll always play the games.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Leaving home, raising these critters like a little family of my own, proving yourself against like-minded friends and rivals, seeing a big, wide world of diverse creatures all within the safety of a gameboy game, and finally becoming the best in your little world by beating the Pokemon Champion.... Something about the hope, wonder, and bravery of it all, and the solitary fight for good and friendship along the way, fascinated and energized me.

I love that world, where you can leave this reality behind you and forge a family of your own with Pokemon, and succeed as a team where nobody drags anybody else down. I love the hope, discovery, and freedom of the Pokemon world, and that's why I'm stuck to the franchise to this day.

Thank you for speaking my thoughts as well, seeing that my first post was woefully inadequate.

As one of the many, many who have followed since 98', I am appreciating the meta of Pokemon so much more; the atmosphere of the regions (3rd gen wins in that regard), the design shift over the years, picking apart why I liked the anime and early movies (and after ten years of barely-adequate later some of the new ones) back in the day. A concept-centric world (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh DM, etc.) done very well is a very fun thing to examine in hindsight.

kogawolfman

Alpha Mightyena
My second-cousin showed me and my siblings his Pokemon card collection and allowed us to have one each. I fell in love with a Japanese Pidgey card and tried to collect more cards of my own. He showed me the anime, too, but I didn't get the right channel for years. That was around 10yo, and around 11yo one of my friends had Pokemon Red and the other had Blue. I'm pretty sure I already had a teal GBC but I don't remember what I was playing at that point. After trying my friend's Red version, I asked my mom to get Blue for me on her way home from teaching school. Lots of good times on Blue, taking advantage of glitches and such...

M4zz

Banned
Yes, you obviously LIKE it. But what MAKES you like it? Be more specific please!

Why must we have to explain why we like it? Maybe we just like it, and have continued to participate in Pokemon. Deal with it.

The release of BW help too.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
The anime got me into playing the games but I stopped playing that games after Emerald though I did buy Platinum for old times sake. I haven't played a Pokémon game since then. I don't really care for the whole Pokémon thing anymore though. It just got boring for me.

And yet you're posting on Serebii forums?! <__<

I couldn't tell you in words what first appealed to me about pokemon, but I watched the first ep of the anime and...it was just the most emotional thing I'd ever seen. That episode still remains arguably one of the best anime episodes ever, in my mind. As Ash and Pikachu walked away under the rainbow, I just knew I loved pokemon. It was a long time until I could afford the gameboy, or the games, but when I went to see Mewtwo Strikes Back they gave away promotional booklets about the games. The booklet gave a thumbnail pic of every pokemon, a bit of info, what it evlved into, and where it could be found. Man, I pored over that booklet until my eyes bled. I memorised every location even though 'powerplant' and 'route 42' meant diddlysquat to me at the time. I was certain I would be a trainer, and that I wanted to begin my journey with a charmander. When the booklet jokingly said not to forget your rubber gloves when handling Pikachu, I made a mental note to myself to find the rubber gloves in the game.

Eleven years later, I'm as in love with pokemon as I ever was, and thankfully, I've learned a lot along the way and am not such a n00b anymore :D I sadly don't follow the anime any more since the original english VA cast left, but I have the Indigo League on DVD. I think what attracts me to the games even now is the personalisation of it; it's one of the few games I know that feels truly yours. You can nickname your pokemon and customise them completely, and even if you catch two at the same level and with the same nature, they grow differently. There's something amazing to me about that. I also love the variety - there are so many pokemon to choose from to raise in your party.

Most of all, I love that both the games and the anime are all about love, courage and honour, as well as caring for and respecting the world around you and the creatures that inhabit it. Might be cheesy, but I think that's a really precious message to stress in today's world.

Last edited:

Chill92

Well my friend was going to the toilet when we were like 6 I think and told me to hold his gameboy for him. He was playing pokemon red and facing a elite four Bruno! So I was like "what's this?" and pressed randomly on the buttons. When my friend was finished, I still kept it for a while, wanting to win this guy. It was a wonderful yet random experience. So I bought Yellow then discovered the anime after and got hooked since then :D

Vernikova

Champion
And yet you're posting on Serebii forums?! <__<

Well, there's more to this forum than just Pokémon. I also like discussing Pokémon it's just that the current stuff doesn't really interest me that much.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Meh, I started just as everyone else: because it was the moment's Big Thing. I occasionally watched the anime, fought with my brothers and classmates over the collectable cards, played the game like crazy.

Eventually I turned 11, grew out of the anime, and lost interest in the card game; though the videogames never stopped to fascinate me, while everyone else at some point just dropped the whole thing, I just couldn't forget them.
Neither I can today :)

I think that the magic's all in raising your own, very unique creatures, and have fun with them. Another great thing about pkmn games is that you can transfer your pokes to the latest gen games, so that you never start from scratch, even when you start a new game. Man, I'm still playing with my r/s/e guys, now they're like old friends to me :)

Last edited:

Malph

What attracted me?: I was in 1st grade when Pokemon came out. What do you think caused me to like it (hint: it wasn't independant thought)?

What keeps me playing?: There was actually something that caused me to stop playing after Gen II when I was 11 (hint: it wasn't independant thought). Then, when I was 18, I found this fun little website called www.tvtropes.org (Disclaimer: If you don't know what TV Tropes is, don't go there. Just trust me here). A lot of people there are fans of Pokemon, so I ended up getting Emerald and Leaf Green. So, what causes me to keep playing? Hint: It's partly independant thought.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
What attracted me?: I was in 1st grade when Pokemon came out. What do you think caused me to like it (hint: it wasn't independant thought)?

What keeps me playing?: There was actually something that caused me to stop playing after Gen II when I was 11 (hint: it wasn't independant thought). Then, when I was 18, I found this fun little website called www.tvtropes.org (Disclaimer: If you don't know what TV Tropes is, don't go there. Just trust me here). A lot of people there are fans of Pokemon, so I ended up getting Emerald and Leaf Green. So, what causes me to keep playing? Hint: It's partly independant thought.

I must second his advice against advancing into tvtropes halls, I'm still recovering. But I'm almost there ;)

Makes sense you would find fans there, though. The forums always struck me as a sort of sane version of 4chan, if only because the site's subject matter.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Why must we have to explain why we like it? Maybe we just like it, and have continued to participate in Pokemon. Deal with it.

The release of BW help too.

Or you're afraid that your emotions will make you look like a pansy! Yeah, that's what it is. :/

.......LOL j/k

FormeEon

The DNA Master
My friend Nico let me borrow his Blue game, because he was bored of it. I evolved his Wartortle to Blastoise, and continued through everything.
A few weeks later, I was in my uncles basement watching TV. And I saw the first Pokemon Episode, being completely fascinated by it as well.
My 8th birthday rolled around, and my grandma got me the newest game, Sapphire.

Basiccally I keep playing because I get to make the adventure. Plus all my games have memories with them.

Myowu

It's said "Meow-woo"
Let's see... I saw the commercial for Pokemon Yellow with the Pikachu surfing. I remember buying it for like $25. It was my first video that I owned and didn't have to share with my bros. I didn't get into the anime.
What kept me going was wanting to be better than the other kids at school. I got beat up alot for being weird and racially different, but I was one of the most skilled trainers.
Nowadays, I enjoy Pokemon as one of the games I play best. =)

Rennon

Revisiting Trainer
I liek Mudkipz! Sorry, I just wanted to say that.
Anyway it all started on a Sunday when I was 4 or 5, can't remember but I'm pretty sure I was 4 that time. I was just scrolling to the channels on the tv when I noticed a new show, a show I've never seen before. I watched it, then slowly I started liking it. 3 years later when it was my 7th Birthday, visitors came flooding in along with my uncle,from whom I got my Gameboy Color and Pokemon Gold and Silver and also Star Wars Obi-Wan's Advventures GBC. I started playing and got Cyndaquil as my first ever starter, although I restarted and got Todd instead. Cyndaquil never appealed to me much. I played and I played, training, catching and exploring with pokemon. Ahhhh....the memories. Hmm, I suddenly wanted to play SS.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
When I was the ripe old age of 9, I used to watch cartoons every morning before going to school. One morning, I saw a new cartoon.
Ash's face looked up, and I heard the words
"I wanna be, the very best..."

I thought, "What's this?"

It was the very first episode of Pokemon, and the story of Ash meeting Pikachu warmed my heart, and excited me. The whole idea of Pokemon--going out on a brand new adventure, training these intelligent creatures to battle (my favorite part of the show was the battles), and becoming a champion....it's what made me love Pokemon in the first place.

I don't think I've ever lost that feeling. And it's why I still love it.

What about you?

Oh my god, I just nostalgiad so bad...

I honestly can't recall the exact memory of how I first heard of Pokemon, though I think I started watching the anime and got into the games later, when Pokemon Gold/Silver game out.

I honestly think the anime has more meaning to me today than it did back when I was a kid, I mainly just watched it for the battles back then, I didn't completely grasp how much it meant to me until later in my life. I don't think I'll ever lose that feeling, it's pretty difficult to describe, but it's like a blend of longing for the fictional world of Pokemon, which is both peaceful yet filled with adventure (at least in comparison with my dull life) and for the certainty Ash always as to his destiny and how to get there. It's amazing that a kids show can still inspire such feelings in me, even after I've grown older and (much) more cynical.

Windfang

Pokemon Solider
I supported my son who was 8 at the time when it first came out. Then he got me Ruby in 2003 before I deployed. I loved the depth of the game & the good things the franchise has done/